Skitter: A Novel (The Hatching Series Book…

Skitter: A Novel (The Hatching Series Book 2) (edition 2017)

by Ezekiel Boone (Author)

Member:Scarlet-Aingeal
Title:Skitter: A Novel (The Hatching Series Book 2)
Authors:Ezekiel Boone (Author)
Info:Atria/Emily Bestler Books (2017), 352 pages
Collections:Your library, Read, Read in 2017, Horror, NetGalley
Rating:***
Tags:Horror

Skitter: A Novel (The Hatching Series) by Ezekiel Boone

Skitter continues right where The Hatching ended. The first wave of spiders has died but the second wave is coming...
Just like the first book, this reads like a gripping action movie that you can't help but stare at incredulously whilst wishing you weren't seeing/feeling half of what you are. I'm surprised at how well all the different perspectives worked. It never became confusing at all. I liked that there was more emphasis on the human stories this time around. A great blend of horror, adventure, thriller, drama, mystery and apocalyptic fiction. I really enjoyed the humor, too. While I've learnt from the previous book not to get too attached to any of the characters - some characters' purpose seems to be simply as spider food - I'm still particularly fond of the characters up in Scotland. But I still can't work out how they fit into the bigger picture. The ending leaves room for the final installment. Not quite as scary as the first book, but great fun and pure escapism. I'm looking forward to the third book (and the movie?!). ( )
  Pet12 | May 23, 2017 |
This is the second in the series of the spider-apocalypse. The first being 'The Hatching". This one starts after the spiders have hatched and killed millions of people and now they have retreated. They have only hit a few cities, but they are all over the world. There is no rhyme or reason to the location of the attacks.

Los Angeles is under a quarantine. No one is allowed out. However, some people do get out before this quarantine was set up. Why are these people not allowed out? What is the meaning of these hanging sacs of silky woven threads? What is the glow coming from some of them? Is there going to be another attack?

This was a strange series for me to request as I absolutely hate spiders. However, while reading it, I hear the word spiders, but I'm not cringing or freaking out about them. When they are attacking, they move in masses and the author calls it a black mass. So. . . if your afraid of spiders, don't let that deter you. This is an awesome series and one that will definitely keep you awake at night. It's interesting how each country with a infiltration of these spiders chooses to handle the situation. The Chinese set off an nuclear bomb and destroy much more than just the city being attacked.

A great series that I highly recommend. Thanks to Atria Books and Net Galley for approving and allowing me to read and review this utterly thrilling read! Definitely unputdownable! ( )
  debkrenzer | May 2, 2017 |
I would like to thank Atria Books for providing me with an advanced reading copy of this book.

Skitter is book two in The Hatching trilogy. Having read and loved book one I was keen to make a start on book two. I enjoyed the first book but hated that it finished on a huge cliffhanger so you can imagine how disappointing it was to discover that the author leaves the reader hanging on the edge of yet another cliff at the end of the second book. I hate cliffhangers, they are annoying and frustrating and put me off reading more of the series because I feel like the author is trying to manipulate me into buying their next book- want to know what happens next? Yes? Great! Come back in a year and give me X amount of pounds and maybe I'll tell you more, and if you're lucky I might throw in yet another cliffhanger just for shits and giggles so you'll buy the next one after that. If your book is good, that alone is enough to make readers want to pick up the next one.

Skitter suffers from middle book syndrome. It wasn't as engaging or as fast paced and it also lacked the action and danger that was prevalent in the first book. It didn't have the same effect as the first book, I wasn't anywhere near as creeped out by it. It only progresses the storyline a few steps forward and you learn a little more about the spiders, but a little, and a few steps are not enough. It hardly progresses at all and nothing is resolved. It felt like a placeholder, something to keep the wolves from the door until the final book is released. There was nothing to get my teeth into, nothing to make it stand out on its own. It read more like an extension of The Hatching rather than an individual book. It picks up from where The Hatching left off and slowly ambles along for most of the book, the pace does pick up very near the end but very quickly leaves the reader hanging onto yet another stinking cliffhanger.

I have to say, I feel rather disappointed and let down by Skitter. It was OK but I expected more. I will still read the next one, it's the last in the trilogy so surely there won't be a cliffhanger, right? I hope so! ( )
  Scarlet-Aingeal | May 2, 2017 |
This is book number two in The Hatching series. And it is exactly like the first one. Filled with so many different characters from all around the world that I don't care who's who. I don't want their life story, I want action. They're preparing for the spiders? Okay, fine. But there are so many different characters, everyone doing their own thing, that there is not enough actual action from the spiders. So, again, the concept of flesh-eating spiders is cool but it is not executed very well in either book. ( )
  jenn88 | Apr 25, 2017 |
Bloody hell, a cliffhanger. Again!

Review to come in...May! ( )
  MaraBlaise | Apr 14, 2017 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,489,171 books! | Top bar: Always visible