The Philharmonic Gets Dressed (Reading…

The Philharmonic Gets Dressed (Reading Rainbow Books) (original 1982; edition 1986)

by Karla Kuskin (Author), Marc Simont (Illustrator)

Member:sd.warren
Title:The Philharmonic Gets Dressed (Reading Rainbow Books)
Authors:Karla Kuskin (Author)
Other authors:Marc Simont (Illustrator)
Info:HarperCollins (1986), Edition: Reprint, 48 pages

The Philharmonic Gets Dressed by Karla Kuskin (1982)

English (11)  German (1)  All languages (12)
Very cute book that both kids and their adults will enjoy. One thing that stands out in a negative way is that the book specifically enumerates the number of women and men players. This is fine except it reflects a 1980s idea of how many women would be playing at this level, which is disappointing and we edit the numbers on the fly when reading to our kids. I wish there was an updated version that eliminated this little bit of dated sexism.
  sd.warren | Oct 11, 2018 |
31 months - A very cute and different story about what it takes to get 105 people ready to entertain an audience. ( )
  maddiemoof | Oct 20, 2015 |
A strange book. I would have expected to like it more than I did, but I also would have expected it to be more ... something. ( )
  Fjola | Apr 23, 2015 |
When I first started to read this book I was not immediately impressed, but as I flipped a few pages I started to really appreciate this masterpiece. One reason that I liked the book was because of its unique plot. The author, Karla Kuskin, describes the behind the scenes of “one hundred and five people” preparing for “work.” Kuskin gives the characters a sense of individuality even though they are introduced as a whole. Each character has their quirkiness as they bathe, groom, and get dressed, such as one man who, “reads in the tub while the cat watches,” and a women who, “sits in the bubbles and sings.” This helps the reader relate as they may think about their own daily routine or have similar mannerisms. As the book continues we start to discover that the one hundred and five people are part of an orchestra and are on their way to the city. I also really liked the ending of this book which actually gave me the chills. The performers have completely transformed and after seeing a rather personal side of the characters, the reader feels connected with each and every performer instead of viewing the entire symphony as one entity. She ends the book where most authors may have started, the orchestra is finally on stage and they begin to play. ( )
  nlinco1 | Mar 27, 2015 |
The one hundred and five members of the Philharmonic Orchestra - ninety-two men and thirteen women - get dressed for work in this quirky little picture-book, first published in 1982. Starting with their baths and showers - one enjoys a good read in the tub, while his cat sits by and watches! - and continuing as they don underwear, clothing, and outerwear, before bidding their families and pets goodbye, grabbing their instruments, and heading for midtown, The Philharmonic Gets Dressed chronicles the Friday-evening preparations of one dedicated orchestra.

Chosen by the Picture-Book Club to which I belong as one of six selections for our music-themed March reading program, this amusing story will strike a chord with young readers who enjoy tales of people in their underwear (Captain Underpants, anyone?), while also introducing them to the magic of an evening at the symphony. The cartoon-like illustrations of Marc Simont are humorous and appealing, but not (despite some absurd reviews I have seen) inappropriate for children. All in all, I would recommend this story to young music lovers (and their parents), especially if they enjoy somewhat oddball humor. ( )
1 vote AbigailAdams26 | Apr 19, 2013 |

Karla Kuskinprimary authorall editionscalculated
Simont, MarcIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 006443124X, Paperback)

"It is almost Friday night. Outside, the dark is getting darker," and here and there around the city ninety-two men and thirteen women are getting dressed to go to work. First they bathe and put on their underwear. Then they don special black-and-white apparel. Then when the one hundred and five people are completely ready, each takes a musical instrument and travels to midtown. There, at 8:30 tonight, they will work together: playing.

In these pages Karla Kuskin and Marc Simont combine their talents to give us a delightful and unusual inside view of one way an orchestra prepares.

Nominee, 1983 American Book Award
Notable Children's Books of 1983 (ALA)
1983 Fanfare Honor List (The Horn Book)
Outstanding Children's Books of 1982 (NYT)
A Reading Rainbow Selection
1983 Teachers' Choices (NCTE)
Children's Books of 1982 (Library of Congress)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:48 -0400)

The 105 members of the Philharmonic Orchestra get ready for a performance.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,560,678 books! | Top bar: Always visible