The Assertiveness Workbook: How to Express…

The Assertiveness Workbook: How to Express Your Ideas and Stand Up for Yourself at Work and in Relationships (edition 2022)

by Randy J. Paterson PhD (Author)

2012137,006 (3.97)None
Stand up and be heard! With more than 100,000 copies sold, this fully revised and updated self-help classic by psychologist Randy J. Paterson-author of How to Be Miserable-will help you get started today. Do you feel uncomfortable in situations where you disagree with others? Do you struggle to express your opinions or assert your boundaries? If you've ever felt paralyzed by confrontation, or have bitten your tongue rather than offer an opposing point of view, you know that a lack of assertiveness can leave you feeling marginalized and powerless. Assertiveness is a critical skill that not only influences your professional success, but also your personal happiness! So, how can you make sure your voice is heard? The Assertiveness Workbook contains powerfully effective skills grounded in cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) to help you communicate more effectively, improve social interactions, and express yourself with confidence and clarity. You'll learn how to set and maintain personal boundaries while staying connected, and discover ways to be more genuine and open in your relationships. Finally, you'll learn to defend yourself calmly if you're unfairly criticized or asked to submit to unreasonable requests.… (more)
Member:DrT
Title:The Assertiveness Workbook: How to Express Your Ideas and Stand Up for Yourself at Work and in Relationships
Authors:Randy J. Paterson PhD (Author)
Info:New Harbinger Publications (2022), Edition: Second, 248 pages
Rating:****1/2

Work Information

Book title and author: The Assertiveness Workbook: How to Express Your Ideas and Stand Up for Yourself at Work and in Relationships by Randy J. Paterson reviewed 5-27-24

Why I picked this book: I often use, “When X happens, I think, I feel and I want or I need…” as an assertiveness statement and I wanted a deeper dive into assertiveness in relationships.

Thoughts: Effective communication is a critical skill that influences professional success, the stability of family life, and personal happiness. The ability to communicate effectively can be seriously hampered if constructively assertiveness isn’t used. If you’ve ever felt paralyzed by an imposing individual or strongly argued opposing point of view, you know that a lack of assertiveness can leave you feeling marginalized and powerless. The Assertiveness Workbook contains effective, cognitive behavioral techniques to help you become more assertive. Learn how to set and maintain personal boundaries without becoming inaccessible. Become more genuine and open in relationships without fearing attack. Defend against criticism or being asked to submit to unreasonable requests. This book has been awarded The Association for Behavioral and Cognitive Therapies Self-Help Seal of Merit — an award bestowed on outstanding self-help books that are consistent with cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) principles and that incorporate scientifically tested strategies for overcoming mental health difficulties. Used alone or in conjunction with therapy, this book offers powerful tools.

Why I finished this read: The 3 means of communication are passive, assertive, and aggressive. Thee is also passive aggressive. Assertiveness is the middle ground and an approach that helps communication be more effective and beneficial.

Stars rating: sine this book was written from a CBT perspective and something I am very comfortable with and easy to use with good and clear examples that I can use in sessions but seemed to have dragged out a little rated it at 4.5 stars of 5 ( )
  DrT | May 28, 2024 |
I don’t pretend to have mastered the whole thing by giving it a once-through, but I now understand better what my limitations are and what I can do to change. Good book.

.........................

I still often don’t assert myself when I’d be within my rights to, partly because I value my own comfort more than ambition or whatever, also because many people simply don’t seem capable of changing, and especially not at the prompting of a total or near stranger. But the big change for me is I am conscious now of this as my choice, and no longer harbor resentful thoughts and indulge in being passive-aggressive. I still usually would rather not assert myself, but I no longer blame other people for this.
1 vote smallself | Jan 4, 2019 |

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 207,174,040 books! | Top bar: Always visible