The Stranger in the Woods: The Extraordinary…

The Stranger in the Woods: The Extraordinary Story of the Last True Hermit (edition 2017)

by Michael Finkel (Author)

Member:23points
Title:The Stranger in the Woods: The Extraordinary Story of the Last True Hermit
Authors:Michael Finkel (Author)
Info:Vintage (2017), 226 pages
Tags:2019, audiobook, biography, woods, maine, loneliness

The Stranger in the Woods: The Extraordinary Story of the Last True Hermit by Michael Finkel

I picked this book up on a whim at my local library, and I'm so glad I did.

Chris Knight is a fascinating anomaly in our media-fueled society, and while he committed some egregious crimes in the 27 years he spent alone in the woods, a part of me was impressed with what he had to say about life. Finkel should be proud of the tireless effort he took to interview and write about Chris. While I may not agree with everything Chris had to say, I still think his thoughts and insight are valuable and worth reflecting upon. ( )
  Codonnelly | Jun 24, 2019 |
One of those books I could not put down. Read through almost all of it in one sitting. Fascinating story. ( )
  jill1121 | Jun 1, 2019 |
A fascinating book. When he was caught, I had read about this guy who lived by himself in the Maine woods for 27 years, and the story fascinated me then as well. How did he manage? What were his living circumstances like? And why?

Mostly, the book answered my questions except for the why. Finkel painted an excellent picture of Knight's tent and bed and stove and "storeroom" and even his toilet area; and described all the supplies he had to manage to steal over the years. And I guess the author did as good a job as he could have, given that he was limited to what Knight was willing to tell him. But I would still love to know why, and to read a more detailed account of all those years, especially how it was in the cold Maine winters. On the other hand, could have done without the accounts of all the other hermits, which just seemed to pad the book.

Christopher Knight, if you happen to read this, and if you happened to keep a journal, please publish! ( )
  bobbieharv | Mar 16, 2019 |
Me after one drink for weeks after reading this book: “ there was this one guy...and he lived hidden in the woods...and he didn’t see or talk to a single person...for 27 years!” Whether you are the kind of person who asks “how?” or “why?”, this is a fascinating read. ( )
  pdill8 | Mar 12, 2019 |
Trempealeau County Reads choice. Intriguing story of Knight makes one think of what solitude can do and the choices we make. ( )
  EllenH | Mar 10, 2019 |
How many things there are that I do not want.
 - Socrates, circa 425 B.C.
In memory of
Eileen Myrna Baker Finkel
The trees are mostly skinny where the hermit lives, but they're tangled over giant boulders with dead fall everywhere like pick-up sticks.
The Kennebec County Correctional Facility permits a maximum of two meetings per week with an inmate, each lasting one hour. (A Note on the Reporting)
And anyway, when was a journal ever honest? "It either contains a lot of truths to cover a single lie," he said, "or a lot of lies to cover a single truth."

"For readers of Jon Krakauer and The Lost City of Z, a remarkable tale of survival and solitude--the true story of a man who lived alone in a tent in the Maine woods, never talking to another person and surviving by stealing supplies from nearby cabins for twenty-seven years. In 1986, twenty-year-old Christopher Knight left his home in Massachusetts, drove to Maine, and disappeared into the woods. He would not have a conversation with another human being until nearly three decades later when he was arrested for stealing food. Living in a tent even in winter, he had survived by his wits and courage, developing ingenious ways to store food and water, to avoid freezing to death. He broke into nearby cottages for food, clothes, reading material, and other provisions, taking only what he needed, but terrifying a community never able to solve the mysterious burglaries. Based on extensive interviews with Knight himself, this is a vividly detailed account of the why and how of his secluded life--as well as the challenges he has faced returning to the world. A riveting story of survival that asks fundamental questions about solitude, community, and what makes a good life, and a deeply moving portrait of a man who was determined to live his own way, and succeeded"--Publisher description.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,349,466 books! | Top bar: Always visible