The Last Magician (2017)

by Lisa Maxwell

Series: The Last Magician (1)

In an alternate version of present-day Manhattan, magic is dying, and Esta, a Mageus with a talent for manipulating time, travels back to 1901 to stop the destruction of a book that can possibly restore magic, but in Old New York, Esta must navigate gangs, secret societies, and her feelings for another magician in order to save the future of magic.… (more)

4,5 stars
Amazing writing and story! I really enjoyed reading about 1900's New York and all magic around the city. The story had a lot of plot twists, some of them predictable and some not so much.

Esta, a magician capable of bend time, travels to different locations and timelines to collect different magical artifacts for the Professor, the man that she always worked for, and who showed her her abilities. In the present, magical people are rarer and rarer, and Professor is focused also on saving those people, as he saved Esta.

Using an artifact that can amplify her ability, Esta is sent to 1902 with one goal - steal a magical book capable to rescue the magic from disappearing in present days. However, in the past, the book is protected by the Order and a group of magicians organized a heist to steal it. Although, during the heist, the book was stolen by a Magician who betrayed his group and disappeared with it provoking the disappearance of the magic. So, Esta needs to be careful and blend well in the group, help organize the heist, and she needs to con the Magician and return with the book to the present. As we all know, the plan will not go as planned!

I really liked the main characters, the only thing that annoyed me the most was the love line... I'm a sucker for good romance in fantasy books, but here it was too easy and a little bit superficial! One minute they hated each other, the next they were in love!

We have A LOT of main characters and the story was told from different perspectives, nevertheless, it wasn't hard to understand the plot, because it all blend really organically.

I recommend this book to people who like Cassandra Clare and S. j. Maas. ( )
  Hanna_Rybchynska | Apr 29, 2022 |
I had never heard of this book before I received it for SantaThing recently. It's mostly set in 1900s New York and involves time travel and magic (and time travel magic). It's also YA, which I didn't realize until after I started it.

This book wasn't for me. The characters seemed like a collection of tropes with not much substance underneath. The magic system was vague and confusing. That's not always a bad thing, but didn't work for this book because the whole plot depended on how the the magic system worked. There were some twists towards the end that might have been fun if I was invested in the story, but I wasn't. It might have also been easier to overlook some of its deficiencies if it was tightly paced, but it's almost 500 pages long and slow. On the positive side, the historical setting does seem well researched. ( )
  kgodey | Jan 2, 2022 |
DNF
  Nicole_13 | May 12, 2021 |
lppb
  5083mitzi | Mar 13, 2021 |
Loved it!! No two words about it. It was a surprising read. Lost of plots, twists and turns, intrigue and nothing short of an adventurous journey. No dull moment at any point, no words wasted, everything fell into to place like an art work.
I don't know if there will be a sequel, since the ending suggests there could be one. I would love to read it though.. ( )
  AraWhesto | Dec 18, 2020 |

Belongs to Series

For my daughter Cressida
In the middle of the journey, I came to myself in a dark wood where the straight way was lost.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 169,963,417 books! | Top bar: Always visible