Are Your Lights On?: How to Figure Out What…

Are Your Lights On?: How to Figure Out What the Problem Really Is (edition 1990)

by Donald C. Gause; Gerald M. Weinberg

This powerful little book will make you a more effective problem solver. Anyone involved in product and systems development will appreciate this practical illustrated guide, which was first published in 1982 and has since become a cult classic!With their characteristic clarity and insight, authors Don Gause and Jerry Weinberg instruct on ways to improve your thinking power.Just follow this four-step process:* identify the true problem* determine the problem's owner* locate the problem's source* decide whether or not to solve itDesigned for anyone in industry or academe, the book conveys a message that will change the way you view the world.… (more)
Member:cornchz
Title:Are Your Lights On?: How to Figure Out What the Problem Really Is
Authors:Donald C. Gause; Gerald M. Weinberg
Info:Dorset House Publishing Company, Incorporated (1990), Paperback, 176 pages

Are Your Lights On?: How to Figure Out What the Problem Really Is by Donald C. Gause

A helpful high-level look at the problems in problem-solving. Written in a wry style that was a little jarring to get used to but flowed very well. ( )
  jtth | May 4, 2020 |
Cult classic? Really? I think ALL the authors were on acid when this book was compiled The allegories are confusing, obscure. It is a very odd read, indeed. ( )
  Sandydog1 | Mar 29, 2018 |
As a programmer, what I was hoping to get out of this book were some insights into the most essential idea within my profession - that of problem solving. Theoretically, problem solving is indeed the subject of this book, however I feel like the presentation of subject matter suffers greatly due to the style of the book.

There are indeed many useful "nuggets" of information and wisdoms presented throughout that are rather insightful, however what fails in my opinion are the stories that lead from one idea to another and are meant to hold it all together. My guess is that the intention of the authors was to use the comical context of these stories to make the ideas less "dry", however I just couldn't relate to the stories and felt like they distracted from the actual useful material within the book.

Perhaps I am just not part of the intended audience of this book - the intention could be that the text is mainly applicable within the project management context. However as a programmer I am also interested in the general process of problem definition and solution within projects and interactions with clients; unfortunately I felt like I could not get much out of the book no matter what perspective I looked at it from. ( )
1 vote ilokhov | Jan 7, 2015 |

Donald C. Gauseprimary authorall editionscalculated
G.M.ワインバー…main authorall editionsconfirmed
Weinberg, Gerald M.Authorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,404,858 books! | Top bar: Always visible