Tek: The Modern Cave Boy by Patrick…

Tek: The Modern Cave Boy

by Patrick McDonnell

A little cave boy named Tek remains stubbornly absorbed in his various electronic devices in this tongue-in-cheek picture-book examination of technological addiction. Nothing anyone can do, from his desperate parents to his hopeful best friend (an alligator named Larry), can tear him away. He misses everything from evolution to the Ice Age, until finally the local volcano has had enough and erupts, thereby separating Tek from his gadgets, and forcing him to see the beauty of the world around him...

An entertaining look at an ever-growing problem with today's younger generation - namely, an addiction to technological devices, and a resultant inability to interact with the non-digital world in a healthy way - Tek: The Modern Cave Boy manages to be quite thought-provoking, without ever feeling preachy. Everything, from the format of the book itself - it is formatted like a tablet, with cardboard covers designed to approximate such a device - to its title (surely a reference to people staying in their "caves" with their computers?) offers a commentary on the issue at hand. Recommended to anyone looking for stories that will prompt discussion about computer/TV addiction, and the importance of getting out into the natural world, as another means of education and entertainment. ( )
  AbigailAdams26 | Jun 20, 2018 |
Cool story about a cave boy who spends too much time on his electronic gadgets and video gaming. The book looks like a tablet! Very neat illustrations too. ( )
  Mischenko | Nov 30, 2017 |
Words do not do this wonderful picture book justice. The book is disguised as a tablet so as to not scare people away from their devices. Tek is a boy who is so connected to his devices that he never goes outside of his cave. His friends miss him and he is missing out on the whole world. One day something happens that causes Tek to have to disconnect and discover he beautiful world around him. If only we could find a way to force children out of their own caves today and disconnect for a little while before they, too, miss out on the beautiful world around them. ( )
  lispylibrarian | Aug 7, 2017 |
This book would immediately grab the attention of a younger audience because of its cover. The book is designed to look like an iPad. The first page is a lock screen and you have to unlock it by (make believe) pressing the buttons that spell out Tek's name. The book is set in the time of dinosaurs and Tek, a young cave boy, is missing out on the world going on around him. He is so engrossed in his electrical devices that he never goes outside to play with his best friend Larry. His parents try and get him to step away from his gadgets, but he does not budge. Everyone tried to get Tek away from technology, but no one could! Big Poppa, a volcano, decided he would try. He made himself explode and all of Tek's games were destroyed. At this time in the book, the illustrator changes the background from an iPad to a regular book. Tek starts appreciating the little things he did not notice before like grass, the warm sun, and fresh air. He starts playing with his friend Larry and they stare gaze all night long. One thing that I loved about this book is that there are about five vocabulary words that are in blue print. It was also a pleasant surprise when I found myself having to look up on of the definitions. This would be a great book for reading to k-3rd grade. Not only can the students relate to the illustrations, but it also conveys an important message. In today's world, technology is taking over too much time in children's lives. I think this is a friendly reminder to put down the iPads or iPhones and go outside and enjoy some fun, fresh air. ( )
  rmwinter | Feb 2, 2017 |
Oh, if this book doesn't make you open your eyes, I don't know what will. This book is perfect to show our technology consumed children, even parents, that there is a world going on outside of their devices their eyes are constantly glued on. This is a book I would love to just be able to read and share with my students, but you can very well use it for academic purposes as well by addressing the battery life in the illustrations goes down as you read, cause and effect due to what can happen if you only play on a device, and so on. I rated this with low stars only because I do not think kids will really grasp this as well as I did when I read it, but they can always surprise us with what is in their heads! ( )
  HaileyNBrown | Nov 28, 2016 |

From a beloved, bestselling Caldecott Honor recipient comes a hilarious reminder of how technology can take us backward... all the way to the times of prehistoric man!

Tek is a cave boy in love with tech: his tablet, videogames, phone, and TV keep him deep in his cave, glued to his devices, day in and day out. He never sees his friends or family anymore--and his ability to communicate has devolved to just one word: "UGH"! Can anyone in the village convince Tek to unplug and come outside into the big, beautiful world?

A distinctive package and design cleverly evokes the experience of using an electronic device that eventually shuts down... and after a magic page turn, Tek (and the reader) reconnects with the real world.

(retrieved from Amazon Sat, 01 Oct 2016 13:10:28 -0400)

Caveboy Tek is obsessed with his electronic devices and ignores the world around him, until his family and friends hatch a plan to get him to unplug.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,690,438 books! | Top bar: Always visible