Nonviolent Communication: A Language of Life (1999)

by Marshall B. Rosenberg

What if you could defuse tension and create accord in even the most volatile situations-just by changing the way you spoke? Over the past 35 years, Marshall Rosenberg has done just that, peacefully resolving conflicts in families, schools, businesses, and governments in 30 countries all over the world. On Nonviolent Communication, this renowned peacemaker presents his complete system for speaking our deepest truths, addressing our unrecognized needs and emotions, and honoring those same concerns in others. With this adaptation of the bestselling book of the same title, Marshall Rosenberg teaches in his own words: Course objectives: - Identify the four steps of the Nonviolent Communication process. - Employ the four-step Nonviolent Communication process in every dialogue you engage in. - Utilize empathy to safely confront anger, fear, and other powerful emotions. - Discover how to overcome the blocks to compassion and open to our natural desire to enrich the lives of those around us. - Observations, feelings, needs, and requests-how to apply the four-step process of Nonviolent Communication to every dialogue we engage in. - Overcoming the blocks to compassion-and opening to our natural desire to enrich the lives of those around us. - How to use empathy to safely confront anger, fear, and other powerful emotions. - Here is a definitive audio training workshop on Marshall Rosenberg's proven methods for "resolving the unresolvable" through Nonviolent Communication.… (more)

English (29)  German (6)  Spanish (4)  French (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Dutch (1)  Korean (1)  All languages (44)
What is Nonviolent Communication?

Nonviolent Communication is the integration of four things:
• Consciousness: a set of principles that support living a life of compassion, collaboration, courage, and authenticity
• Language: understanding how words contribute to connection or distance
• Communication: knowing how to ask for what we want, how to hear others even in disagreement, and how to move toward solutions that work for all
• Means of influence: sharing “power with others” rather than using “power over others”
Nonviolent Communication serves our desire to do three things:
• Increase our ability to live with choice, meaning, and connection
• Connect empathically with self and others to have more satisfying relationships
• Sharing of resources so everyone is able to benefit.
  PendleHillLibrary | May 7, 2024 |
Great simple idea applied to different situations, and looked at in detail: that underlying anger is a need to be fulfilled and a lack of understanding of how to convey the need to the other party and understand their needs. ( )
  yates9 | Feb 28, 2024 |
This is not, despite its initial appearance, one of the countless useless self-help books. It is one of the few perspective-twisting gems that can impact your life. At least it did for me.

Personally, this book helped me end a difficult situation at work. For two years, I read everything I could find to learn to deal with a bullying superior with a borderline personality. I refused to resort to flatteries and other tricks to “please” the superior. This book taught me a new way to communicate. By articulating more clearly feelings and needs, I was able to restore a respectful relationship, without compromising my integrity.

On a different scale, but still personally, this book allowed me to express to my mother little things that were annoying me, but that I had been keeping inside for fear of hurting her feelings. This book taught me how and it worked.

By showing how to properly articulate feelings and needs, the author forces you to shift your perspective from labeling people and situations to focusing on the underlying needs of the people involved in the situation.

This book was deeply transformative and timely in my personal journey. ( )
  Bloum | Feb 23, 2024 |
Focuses on a compassionate way of listening and communicating, to cover and address underlying needs. Can be used for all types of relationships, self-management and conflict resolution. You'll learn:
• What is Nonviolent Communication (NVC), including the key principles, approach, and techniques.
• How to use the 4 components of NVC—observations, feelings, need, and requests—to (i) express yourself clearly without blame or criticism, and (ii) receive what others are saying without hearing blame or criticism.
• How to apply NVC in various real-world situations including: mediation and conflict resolution, self-compassion, anger management, expressing and receiving appreciation.

Book summary at: https://readingraphics.com/book-summary-nonviolent-communication/ ( )
  AngelaLamHF | Aug 30, 2023 |
Truly, one of the most important books you can in your life. ( )
  kmaxat | Aug 26, 2023 |

Marshall B. Rosenbergprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dorp, Jan Carel vanEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gandhi, ArunForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Soelen, Chiel vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Veen, Pieter van derTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Believing that it is our nature to enjoy giving and receiving in a compassionate manner, I have been preoccupied most of my life with two questions: What happens to disconnect us from our compassionate nature, leading us to behave violently and exploitatively? And conversely, what allows some people to stay connected to their compassionate nature under even the most trying circumstances?
Observing without evaluating is the highest form of human intelligence.

Nonviolent Communication is a simple process that facilitates the flow of communication necessary to exchange information and resolve differences compassionately. It is based on identifying universaly shared standards and needs. NVC can be practically applied in educational institutions, business and industry, social service agencies and politically charged situations, as well as family and personal relationships.

Nonviolent Communication encourages people to use language that increases goodwill. It teaches people how to avoid language that creates resentment or lowers self esteem. It emphasizes compassion as the motivation for actions, rather than fear, guilt, shame or blame. It also emphasizes personal responsibility for our choices. Nonviolent Communication can be used effectively even without the other person's or group's knowledge of the process.

Marshall Rosenberg has rediscovered the lost language of humankind, the language of a people who care about one another and long to live in harmony. He guides us in reframing the way we express ourselves and listen to others by focusing our consciousness on four areas: what we are observing, feeling, and needing and what we are requesting to enrich our lives.

The skills he teaches foster deep listening, respect, and empathy and engenders a mutual desire to give from the heart.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 208,468,978 books! | Top bar: Always visible