Magpie Murders by Anthony Horowitz

Magpie Murders (2016)

by Anthony Horowitz

A Very British Murder by Lucy Worsley (charlie68)
    charlie68: An excellent non fiction study of mysteries and the history.
    The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle by Stuart Turton (souloftherose)

English (111)  German (1)  All languages (112)
Magpie Murders - Horowitz
Audio performance Samantha Bond and Allan Corduner
4 stars

It’s such a great title. Exactly the title you might expect for a classic English village murder mystery. This is what editor, Susan Ryeland is expecting when she receives the manuscript of the newest Atticus Pund mystery. She looks forward to a weekend relaxing with her favorite detective. And she does, up to a point. On Monday, she heads to her job at a small publishing house needing to deal with two problems. The manuscript is missing its final chapters and the author has just committed suicide.

At this point the book leaves Susan Ryeland to cope on her own, while Horowitz treats the reader to the entire manuscript of Magpie Murders, less the missing chapters. So now, Horowitz has built up the suspense and suspicion of two murder mysteries. It’s clever, but a bit long winded. I like cozy English village mysteries. This one wasn’t bad, just very predictable. It was hard to see the point when Horowitz has already made it clear that the real action is happening off stage with Susan Ryeland.

The action did pick up at the end of the book when the narrative finally returns to Susan and scandal in the publishing industry (with a good dose of literary name dropping). The twists, turns and combining of the two books was very well done. It left me feeling a little disappointed with the climactic, but conventional ending. ( )
  msjudy | Mar 4, 2019 |
Clever, entertaining, and well written. I’ll look for more books by Anthony Horowitz. He also created and wrote the Foyle’s War series, and wrote for Poirot and Midsummer Murders. This was a well done audible book. ( )
  tkcs | Feb 23, 2019 |
This is a "Clever Whodunit". The rest of my thoughts are probably spoilers - so -

Don't be surprised if the first half of this book seems hopelessly derivative --- but hold that thought, it's a clue.

The second half of the book improves and clever takes over.

I can see how some dedicated traditional mystery lovers will like this book. But in truth, I was just glad when it was over. First boring, then too clever by far, too long, then melodrama, then whatever.

Part of the action is the intent of the fictional author to poke his readers in the eye.

OUCH - I think I just got poked.

Obviously not my book.
  yhgail | Feb 20, 2019 |
Overly complicated murder mystery - narrator's life and novel about some murders intersect - we read both - and then there is the plagiarism of the novel from another author (we also read some of that) - and the climax with attempted murder of the narrator and arson of the publisher's office is somewhat contrived. But I read through to the end - needed to know whodunnit! ( )
  siri51 | Feb 10, 2019 |
Starts out as formulaic but becomes exceptional and clever mystery or set of mysteries. Excellent cure for the dog days of winter. ( )
  charlie68 | Jan 24, 2019 |

Anthony Horowitzprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bond, SamanthaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Corduner, AllanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
A bottle of wine.
But I’m not sure it actually matters what we read. Our lives continue along the straight lines that have been set out for us. Fiction merely allows us a glimpse of the alternative. Maybe that’s one of the reasons we enjoy it.

From the New York Times bestselling author of Moriarty and Trigger Mortis, this fiendishly brilliant, riveting thriller weaves a classic whodunit worthy of Agatha Christie into a chilling, ingeniously original modern-day mystery.

When editor Susan Ryeland is given the manuscript of Alan Conway’s latest novel, she has no reason to think it will be much different from any of his others. After working with the bestselling crime writer for years, she’s intimately familiar with his detective, Atticus Pünd, who solves mysteries disturbing sleepy English villages. An homage to queens of classic British crime such as Agatha Christie and Dorothy Sayers, Alan’s traditional formula has proved hugely successful. So successful that Susan must continue to put up with his troubling behavior if she wants to keep her job.

Conway’s latest tale has Atticus Pünd investigating a murder at Pye Hall, a local manor house. Yes, there are dead bodies and a host of intriguing suspects, but the more Susan reads, the more she’s convinced that there is another story hidden in the pages of the manuscript: one of real-life jealousy, greed, ruthless ambition, and murder.

Masterful, clever, and relentlessly suspenseful, Magpie Murders is a deviously dark take on vintage English crime fiction in which the reader becomes the detective. Amazon

"From New York Times bestselling author Anthony Horowitz comes Magpie Murders, a brilliant and strikingly original reimagining of the classic whodunit (a la Agatha Christie) with a contemporary mystery wrapped around it"--

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,460,280 books! | Top bar: Always visible