The Story of Lucy Gault by William Trevor

The Story of Lucy Gault (2002)

by William Trevor

Recently added byolslibrary, india.winslow, Civitella, kaitanya64, private library, Eye_Gee, kystarbucks, cfinn

English (49)  Dutch (1)  All (50)
I was let down by this book, the first I've read by William Trevor. ( )
  Eye_Gee | May 8, 2017 |
A story about how one decision or act we make in our lives, even innocently as a child, ripples out to change not only the course of our lives but that of many other people. It's a story of real life -- loss, loneliness, guilt, love, tragedy, and living and coping with the choices we make. Lucy's story could be anyone's story with different scenes and characters, in almost any time period.

I like the photo of the author on the back cover. What a wonderful face with a hint of soul and mischief in his smile. I'd enjoy a chat with someone who writes like this.

Generally I give 5 stars to books that strike me as extraordinary or ones that I can't wait to gift to the readers in my life, books that appeal to a broad audience. Lucy's story will appeal to a certain audience but not to some. ( )
  Rascalstar | Jan 21, 2017 |
A difficult book to find words to describe, but a pleasure to read - a hauntingly memorable and beautifully elegiac story of rural Ireland. A quiet revelation - reflective, moving and redolent of a lost world. ( )
  bodachliath | Mar 1, 2016 |
Lucy is the only child of a Protestant landowner in Ireland. During the political problems of the 1920s, three young men attempt to set fire to the Gault’s estate, and Lucy’s father shoots and wounds one of them, although he was only trying to fire a warning shot. In the aftermath of this incident, the Gaults decide to leave Ireland move to England, but since Lucy has not been told about the attempted arson or political problems, she resists leaving the home she loves. Lucy runs away the night before the family is to leave, and a series of tragic coincidences follow that ruin the lives of Lucy, her parents, and the young man who was shot by Captain Gault. The book follows the characters for the rest of their lives as they attempt to cope with the unbearable sense of loneliness that they are each left with. The novel is also the story of how Ireland changes from the beginning to the end of the 20th Century.

I thought this book was slightly better than average. Trevor tends to jump ahead an undisclosed number of years every so often, and, unlike in so many other books, this wasn’t confusing. This technique illustrated the unrelenting passing of time and was a very effective way to advance the plot. I really liked how we experienced not just the changes of the characters over time, but also how Ireland was changing, politically and culturally. I didn’t like some of the over-flowery prose, especially when it described what the characters were thinking. It hindered my understanding of their thoughts because I just gave up and kept reading instead of trying to work out what Trevor was trying to say. Not a bad book overall, and one I might be tempted to read again because I’m sure there’s more I can get out of it from a second reading. ( )
  AmandaL. | Jan 16, 2016 |
Novels are highly rated by the reading public when they tell an interesting story, with a good and engaging plot, or are beautifully written, each carrying the reader over to another reality. However, it seems that literary editors and lectors at publishers handle different criteria. One of these seems to be the ability to tell a story. The novels of William Trevor are characterized by having a very thin, unsubstantial plot. Sentiment, rather than plot drives his novels.

The story of Lucy Gault is such a novel. A single, fateful action determines the course of the story of Lucy's life. The novel is based on this very thin story, and thrives on beautiful description and sentiment. ( )
  edwinbcn | Oct 14, 2015 |
For Jane
Captain Everard Gault wounded the boy in the right shoulder on the night of June the twenty-first, nineteen twenty-one.
The past was the enemy.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 014200331X, Paperback)

A difficult novel for any parent to read, William Trevor's The Story of Lucy Gault recounts the tale of a young girl whose Protestant family is driven from its rural Irish home in 1921. Eight-year-old Lucy is in love with Lahardane: the old house itself, the woods, the nearby beach, the shells and fir cones and sticks that she collected like treasure. The day before her family is scheduled to flee Ireland, leaving the house and furnishings in the care of trusted servants, Lucy runs away. Her parents, finding a scrap of her clothing on the beach, assume the worst. Days later, they leave Lahardane, choosing not to settle in England, as they had planned, but to roam Europe in their grief, leaving no forwarding address. But Lucy has not killed herself; she's only broken her leg in the woods. Eventually she makes it back to the house to find her parents gone. She spends her childhood waiting to be forgiven for her wicked act, postponing all happiness until she can be reunited with her mother and father. Revealing more of the plot will spoil this lovely novel for its many readers. It is enough to note that Trevor's characteristic depth and emotional complexity are fully realized here in the watchful reticence of his young heroine and the strange but beautiful way she finds to express her own forgiveness. --Regina Marler

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:28 -0400)

A novel set in Ireland in the 1920s charts the progress of a young girl whose entire life seems to be falling apart when the threat of arson drives the family from their country home.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,146,483 books! | Top bar: Always visible