Rejected Princesses: Tales of History's…

by Jason Porath (Author)

Member:evareads
Title:Rejected Princesses: Tales of History's Boldest Heroines, Hellions, and Heretics
Authors:Jason Porath (Author)
Info:Dey Street Books (2016), 384 pages
Tags:non-fiction, women, history

Rejected Princesses: Tales of History's Boldest Heroines, Hellions, and Heretics by Jason Porath

See review here; I accidentally flagged the ebook version when reading. ( )
  Daumari | Dec 30, 2017 |
Normally I'm leery of dead tree editions of internet sites, but Rejected Princesses works very well as a book, especially as the original website has grown to include news items of modern day 'rejected princesses' (although it appears they'll be adapted into Volume 2!)

The hardcover is a hefty tome, but text isn't super dense and there are occasional sidebars at the end of entries. I compared a few entries to their online versions and actually found more detail in art notes online (which was a pleasant surprise- other web-to-book projects like A Feast of Ice and Fire took down posts that eventually appeared in print). Entries are helpfully given maturity ratings and content warnings, and are arranged in order of maturity level (which makes sense- it's one thing to read to your five year old about a wrestling princess and another to talk about a woman who drove a tentspike into her rapist's head, even if biblical).

Art isn't necessarily Jason's strong point- though he worked at Dreamworks, it was more on the technical side of animation. He has improved over the years, though, and is a thorough researcher, including details in the pictures referencing parts of the woman's life (usually mentioned in Art Notes... but notes aren't present for all entries). Again, the online versions of entries tend to be more in depth with bibliography recommendations, but I imagine that's because the web offers more space in general for add-ons like that

Note: did not actually reread, but switched to the correct version which unfortunately will appear twice on my annual reading log, alas. ( )
1 vote Daumari | Dec 30, 2017 |
I finally finished this book and I wish I had more.

I've been slowly making my way through this book all year and I want everyone who reads this review to know: it's not because of the book. I struggle through essays and short story collections. This isn't because they are horrible. It's because they're missing a consistent plot line. As far as short stories go? Rejected Princesses is awesome.

I want to throw a little love at Jason Porath.

Jason Porath is, in his own words, "A straight white dude from Kentucky." He's not a likely candidate to be writing books of female-driven histories. This isn't a collection of twenty women who are often overlooked in history. Rejected Princesses outlines dozens of badass women. He dissects mythologies and biased biographies of women and offers the reader a perspective sharing views from multiple sources. He writes in a witty, engaging matter. Even the women with the most vile reputations are offered with a grain of salt. Elizabeth Bathory I'm talking to you. Seriously guys, he's even got Elizabeth Bathory in here. Granted, she's at the end, with the particularly twisted stories, but she's there!

I have been promoting this book since I started it. Between the detail of the artwork to the depth at which Porath researches the woman, this is really a must read. And he's made it really user-friendly. There are trigger warning for abuse, rape, and violence at the beginning of every chapter so you can avoid the triggers. Stories are rated from G-R, just like movies, so you know which ones are suitable for children. In most of the entries, he even explains the artwork and the subtle nuances he's included.

There are so many incredible women in these pages.

While there were definitely plenty I recognized (Harriet Tubman, Elizabeth Bathory, Joan of Arc), the majority of this book was made up of women I've never heard of. Like Noor Inayat Kahn. She was this incredible double-agent spy during World War II. She was Muslim, an author, and there's a bronze bust of her in London. She worked with some of the earliest wireless radios. She was executed at a concentration camp. Women like Noor are role models, the women too outlandish to be translated into a Disney film, but far too incredible to be forgotten.

For those who are excited about collections such as [book:Good Night Stories for Rebel Girls: 100 Tales of Extraordinary Women|33016249]... I implore you to give Rejected Princesses a try. It's inspiring. I want to write a modernized tale for each and every woman in this book.

Find this review and many others on The Literary Phoenix ( )
1 vote Morteana | Sep 22, 2017 |
Dear husband brought this book to my attention after hearing a segment about it on NPR (what a very good husband!). After hearing only a few anecdotes about it, I needed to read it, NOW. Thank goodness for Amazon Prime.

Rejected Princesses grew out of a lunchtime chat among Dreamworks animators: Who was least likely to be turned into an animated princess? Out of this seed grew a blog (http://www.rejectedprincesses.com) and the blog sprouted a book (with a second on the way!). The first volume is a massively heavy compendium of 100 women who defied norms, expectations, invading armies, assailants, and politicians. Each entry is roughly 2-3 pages long, and each features a Disney-style illustration of the featured “princess.”

The entries are neatly cataloged with maturity ratings and applicable trigger warnings. This means you can read the more family-friendly entries to the kids, and save the stories of rape, murder, and revenge for later (or never, as it suits you). In this way, Porath has created a book that has something for all ages, while at the same time not glossing over the violence experience by quite a few defiant women. The stories also skip across time, space, and legend. You’ll find biblical queens next to Bolivian revolutionaries next to British suffragettes next to African warriors next to Japanese samurais. You’ll find straight women and women who represent every color of the LGBTQA rainbow. Porath show us that there is a princess out there for everyone.

This book was amazing. Some women, like Hatshepsut (the only female pharaoh in Egypt), Harriet Tubman (“Moses” of escaping slaves), and Joan of Arc (the gold standard of defiant woman) I had heard of already, but others like Saint Olga of Kiev (who set a town on fire using pigeons), Calafia (mythical Muslim queen and namesake for the state of California), and Trung Trac and Trung Nhi (Vietnamese sisters who led armies to defeat the Chinese in the 1st century) I had never even guessed existed. The book is jam-packed with these kinds of stories, and the encyclopedia-entry-style of each story means it’s easy to pick up and put down as needed, and come back to your favorite parts. Once you read through the book, there are even more entries on the Rejected Princesses website, so you can head over there to keep getting your fix.

This is a great book for anyone looking for inspiration from some truly badass ladies. Porath’s rating system means that you can share these stories with the little girls in your life, and let them know they can grow up to command their own tank regiment (Mariya Oktyabrskaya), overcome handicaps (Wilma Rudolph), be great at math (Hypatia), and/or decide exactly what they want out life and strive for it. ( )
1 vote irregularreader | Aug 23, 2017 |
I fell in love with this book immediately, which has never happened to me before. I am not an early adopter, and it's the onus of every book to entice me. Of course, by the time I know that, I'm usually victim to time sink fallacy. But look at this cover. It looks like all the books in the old Disney movies. You know, like in Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty where a live-action book opens at the beginning and closes at "the end". Now I have a book like that. I can look like I'm reading an old timey volume of forgotten lore (quoth the raven). Look at me -- I'm gushing and I haven't even opened the book yet.

Inside is more than fifty stories of women who kicked ass and took names, folk tales you never heard of, tribal leaders, revolutionaries, women who outrode Paul Revere, outsmarted popes, outbattled kings, and outwitted empires. Each entry is about a page or two, so no princess outstays her welcome. They're like wikipedia entries, but don't duplicate the dry descriptions. Many include anecdotes and details that bring them to life as real people who existed. This is not a research/reference book. It's entertaining and informative like The Daily Show or CGPGrey or Extra Credits. The author adds a unique flavor/voice that gives away how much he loves this subject and how much he wants to share it.

Plus, each entry has a beautiful illustration of the lady therein, rendered as a kind of Dreamworks/Disney princess. Like each woman has her own movie poster. It even includes notes on how the art includes culture and tidbits not in the story.

Now this volume does have a fault: there are maturity ratings and content warnings for each story, ranging from one to five. But even the tamest wasn't appropriate for kids under ten (IMHO). In fact, just about all of them... well, this makes me sound like the most conservative of parents, but they acknowledge the existence of sex, use words like "plastered", and assume some historical knowledge. It's not that the content is vulgar or adult. It just brings up questions that I don't need to answers yet. Which makes it kind of strange that this book wants to highlight famous influential women, but the content is too old for when girls are their most influenced. Maybe they can release a PG version for the younglings? I want them to learn about these people too. The earlier the better. ( )
  theWallflower | Mar 20, 2017 |

Blending the iconoclastic feminism of The Notorious RBG and the confident irreverence of Go the F**ck to Sleep, a brazen and empowering illustrated collection that celebrates inspirational badass women throughout history, based on the popular Tumblr blog.

Well-behaved women seldom make history. Good thing these women are far from well behaved . . .

Illustrated in a contemporary animation style, Rejected Princesses turns the ubiquitous "pretty pink princess" stereotype portrayed in movies, and on endless toys, books, and tutus on its head, paying homage instead to an awesome collection of strong, fierce, and yes, sometimes weird, women: warrior queens, soldiers, villains, spies, revolutionaries, and more who refused to behave and meekly accept their place.

An entertaining mix of biography, imagery, and humor written in a fresh, young, and riotous voice, this thoroughly researched exploration salutes these awesome women drawn from both historical and fantastical realms, including real life, literature, mythology, and folklore. Each profile features an eye-catching image of both heroic and villainous women in command from across history and around the world, from a princess-cum-pirate in fifth century Denmark, to a rebel preacher in 1630s Boston, to a bloodthirsty Hungarian countess, and a former prostitute who commanded a fleet of more than 70,000 men on China’s seas.

(retrieved from Amazon Tue, 25 Oct 2016 20:10:26 -0400)

"A brazen, uproarious collection of illustrations of tough women both historical and fantastical-too awesome, too fierce, and sometimes too weird. These are not fantasy tales of blushing ingenues and happily-ever-afters. Here are the real unsung women of history, real and from literature, mythology and folklore. Illustrated in a contemporary animation style, Rejected Princesses dismisses the 'pretty pink princess' stereotype and profiles, through biography, imagery, wit, and humor, badass women throughout time and from all around the world. Warrior queens, soldiers, villains, spies, revolutionaries, and many more. Women of every era, ethnicity, class and orientation are pictured including a princess-cum-pirate from 5th century Denmark, a rebel preacher in 1630s Boston, a Hungarian blood thirsty countess, and a former prostitute that commanded a fleet of 70,000+ men on the Chinese seas. In Rejected Princesses, Jason Porath presents the female role models we never knew we needed! Fun, feminist, and educational, Rejected Princesses commemorates unknown but captivating female heroes, proving that women have been kicking ass for a long, long time and always will. Who needs Cinderella when you have Rejected Princesses?"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,933,983 books! | Top bar: Always visible