Since We Fell: A Novel by Dennis Lehane

Since We Fell: A Novel (edition 2017)

by Dennis Lehane (Author)

Member:jasonpettus
Title:Since We Fell: A Novel
Authors:Dennis Lehane (Author)
Info:Ecco (2017), Edition: 1st Edition, 432 pages
Rating:*****

Since We Fell: A Novel by Dennis Lehane

This is the second book I've read by Lehane (the other being [b:Shutter Island|21686|Shutter Island|Dennis Lehane|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1329269081s/21686.jpg|1234227] a ways back). I'd forgotten what a smart, smart writer he is. Very seldom is there a book that makes me read every single word. I'm a skimmer when I can be. With Lehane you must read every word, or you will miss something. Even something big.

Since We Fell is a great read! Starts out as a book about a sort of troubled young women trying to figure out who her father is. She ends up becoming a TV news reporter until she covers Haiti after the earthquake (2010); and, her life is never the same again. Then some bad things happen, some good, some terrible, and then...I can't tell you any more. Just when you think you know what this book is about, there's another twist - and it's another type of book altogether. In the end, what you think is going to be a story about a crazy girl's search for belonging ends up being a crazy good book about betrayal, your sense of self, trust, and belief. Oh, and murder.

You should read it. ( )
  ouroborosangel | May 22, 2018 |
"Monsters, her mother had told her and she had learned herself over the years, don’t dress like monsters; they dress like humans. Even stranger, they rarely know they’re monsters." Dennis Lehane's Since We Fell tells the story of Rachel Childs who suffers a mental breakdown during her time as a(n) (investigative) reporter. Although she lives as a relative shut-in, barely able to walk outside her own door, she lives a relatively idyllic life with a kind, compassionate, and understanding husband. However, the perfection in her life is not all as it seems. She discovers her husband has a dark secret and must follow her instincts to figure out what he is hiding. The premise of this book sounds very interesting. I liked Rachel's character as she strove to understand the secrets in her life - first about her father who left when she was young, and then about her husband who isn't as he appears - even as she struggled with an overwhelming sense of anxiety. I was really looking forward to the "thriller" aspect to this book, which is why I chose it as my May BOTM Club pick. However, I was a little disappointed. This book is separated into three sections; without giving any spoilers, the first tells of Rachel's pursuit of her father's identity, the second is her life with her husband, and the third is her trying to figure out what is going on. There was one major reveal about halfway through the book, and while that really got my heart pumping, the last third of the book was a little bland. Part of it might have been me getting away from the book for two nights (previously, I was reading 150 pages a night), but I think it was just slow at the end. Not too much of a thriller, and not too much of a big reveal at the end. The third section was not as thrilling as I would have liked or expected it to be, and I wasn't super impressed with the different plot twists and what-have-you. It was a little hard to like her husband's character after the reveal, whereas I had really liked him and their relationship beforehand. Not a bad book. I really enjoyed it, especially the first 75% or so. The ending though didn't really *wow* me, so I'm rounding down to 3 stars from 3 1/2. You can also check out this review on my blog, Allison's Adventures into Wonderlands! (link below) https://allisonsadventuresintowonderlands.wordpress.com/2017/08/12/dennis-lehanes-since-we-fell/ ( )
  Allison_Krajewski | May 10, 2018 |

Dennis Lehane no tendrá tan extensa bibliografía como, digamos; Stephen King, John Grisham y Michael Connelly, para mencionar algunos, pero, en su limitada publicación literaria, prácticamente no hay desperdicios.

Arrancaré diciendo que Since We Fell, entre las que he leído, ha sido la novela que menos me ha gustado de Lehane. Es un libro que pareciera estar escrito por dos autores diferentes. La primera mitad por Lehane y la segunda mitad por un autor menos experimentado y menos preocupado por sus lectores.

La primera parte es una serie de saltos en el tiempo presentándonos a la protagonista Rachel Childs, quien tuvo una difícil niñez creciendo con su madre, Elizabeth. Su padre las abandonó a temprana edad y Elizabeth siempre le ocultó su identidad. Rachel creció teniendo una difícil relación con su madre, quien era manipuladora y dominante, siendo a la vez carismática e inteligente.

También tendremos pinceladas de Rachel como adulta, trabajando como periodista y visitando (como parte de su trabajo) lugares como Haití, después del evento real que sucedió en el 2010.

En Haití y, frente a las cámaras, Rachel sufre un colapso mental que la afectará para siempre y, a partir de allí, sufre un cambio radical en su vida.

La primera parte de la novela, como decía, abarca todos estos sucesos de una manera inmersiva y con una prosa elegante, como es de costumbre en Lehane. Se lee más bien como un non-fiction y quieres conocer y saber más de Rachel con el pasar de cada página.

Pero es entonces cuando debemos recordar la primerísima oración de la novela:

On a Tuesday in May, in her thirty-fifth birthday, Rachel shot her husband dead.

Ahí llegamos al punto de la vida de Rachel donde ella está casada y el hombre con quien ella está no aparenta ser lo que dice.

Todo ese rollo "barato" y "casi gastado" de los thrillers contemporáneos donde hay pistas, ligeras investigaciones y la típica confrontación. A diferencia de que en Since We Fell hay más contenido después de dicha confrontación.

En resumen, tenemos casi la mitad de la novela siguiendo los pasos de Rachel Childs, desde su niñez, la relación con su madre, la búsqueda incesante de su padre, su profesión, matrimonio, viajes y colapso mental.
Luego, la novela da un giro de 360 grados y se vuelve un thriller comercial, un libro de aeropuerto. Y tenemos todo eso para la segunda mitad. A eso le sumamos un final insatisfactorio, abrupto y con muchas preguntas sin responder.

La primera parte del libro, personalmente, pienso que merece un 5/5.
La segunda parte del libro... Talvéz un 2/5. Siendo considerado. ( )
  JorgeLC | Apr 28, 2018 |
It gets off to a slow start, but really picks up around the halfway mark. The ending, unfortunately, didn't work for me—it just felt rushed and implausible—which affected my overall impression and left me feeling "meh". ( )
  BillieBook | Apr 1, 2018 |
It didn't seem like a typical Dennis Lehane novel for a while but it held my interest so I kept reading. Plots and subplots. Many surprises. Loved it. Love him. ( )
  bogopea | Mar 2, 2018 |
In memory of David Wickham, a prince of Providence and a real cool cat.
On a Tuesday in May, in her thirty-fifth year, Rachel shot her husband dead.

After Rachel Childs, a former journalist, suffers an on-air mental breakdown, she lives as a virtual shut-in. In all other respects, however, she enjoys an ideal life with an ideal husband. Until a chance encounter on a rainy afternoon causes that ideal life to fray. As does Rachel's marriage. As does Rachel herself. Sucked into a conspiracy thick with deception, violence, and possibly madness, Rachel must find the strength within herself to conquer unimaginable fears and mind-altering truths.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,403,374 books! | Top bar: Always visible