The Girl Who Knew Too Much

by Amanda Quick

Series: Burning Cove, California (1)

When Hollywood moguls and stars want privacy, they head to an idyllic small town on the coast, where the exclusive Burning Cove Hotel caters to their every need. It's where reporter Irene Glasson finds herself staring down at a beautiful actress at the bottom of a pool. The dead woman had a red-hot secret about up-and-coming leading man Nick Tremayne, a scoop that Irene couldn't resist--especially since she's just a rookie at a third-rate gossip rag. But now Irene's investigation into the drowning threatens to tear down the wall of illusion that is so deftly built around the famous actor, and there are powerful men willing to do anything to protect their investment. Seeking the truth, Irene finds herself drawn to a master of deception. Oliver Ward was once a world-famous magician--until he was mysteriously injured during his last performance. Now the owner of the Burning Cove Hotel, he can't let scandal threaten his livelihood, even if it means trusting Irene, a woman who seems to have appeared in Los Angeles out of nowhere four months ago. With Oliver's help, Irene soon learns that the glamorous paradise of Burning Cove hides dark and dangerous secrets. And that the past--always just out of sight--could drag them both under.… (more)

The Girl Who Knew Too Much is the first book in the burning cove series and this is a romantic suspense/historical thriller set around the 1930’s in California. I have had this series on my watchlist for a while now and decided that it was past time to pick up these books and quite frankly I haven’t read this author in YEARS and it was definitely time to grab her up again….Not sure why I stopped reading her to be honest since I have always enjoyed what I have had the pleasure of reading from her. But I can say that this was a delight to read, not a perfect book for me personally, but I had a fun time with it.

The Girl Who Knew Too Much takes on our heroine Irene, who when finding her boss murdered knows that her life is in danger and takes her late boss’s notebook that is evidence and what the killer was obviously looking for …she then changed her identity and goes across the country and becomes Irene, a journalist and when she sees two murders, she investigates in a town called “Burning Cove” where her prime suspect is a famous actor. But she meets up with the infamous hotel’s owner, Oliver Ward, who was once a magician but now is just trying to live a life after facing tragedy and betrayal in his life. There is an instant attraction between Oliver and Irene but while there are sparks, there is also a murderer on the loose and its up to them to investigate. But the search takes them on a journey of thrilling rides and some surprises they least expect to find.

The Girl Who Knew Too Much was a story I wasn’t sure what to expect to be honest and so different and unique from anything I have read before and it did take me a while to adapt to the author’s writing style. Like I mentioned before it has been such a long time since I have read anything by her and my reading tastes have definitely adapted over the years but I did eventually get hooked into the story which is probably what keeps this reader’s rating from a five star. I will say that even though the pacing wasn’t what I was used to and it took a while to really become invested in the story, it did happen and once it did I found myself immersed in this story and what a mystery that is revealed.

There are so many positive elements to this book and I will warn readers there is little to no heat except for some good kissing so yes this is a book your mama (or at least my mama could read hehe) I did like the relationship building and even if its second to the mystery element I didn’t struggle with it much to be honest and you all know how much I love my romance lovin’ but Quick really does such an incredible job in writing such a captivating story any reader can get behind.

Overall I found The Girl Who Knew Too Much to be a fascinating tale set in a unique era, packed with thrills, stunning detail and immersive writing. ( )
  addictofromance | Jul 15, 2020 |
I don't have much to say here. This book took me almost three days to get through because that's how boring it was. Taking place in the 1930s, I was expecting to see some language/slang from that era. You don't get that at all and just have a woman on the run (who decides to reinvent herself as a reporter) and a former magician (yeah I know) getting caught up in murder and mayhem.

Irene (formerly Anna) is pulled into investigating when a woman turns up dead in Burning Cove, CA. The woman is found dead at an exclusive hotel run by Oliver Ward. Oliver is angry that someone dared to murder someone on his grounds. Irene is hoping for a story that is going to launch her career.

Irene and Oliver felt like cardboard cutouts when compared to Quick's Regency heroines and heroes. We get I think one love scene with them and I think after that everything is just a fade to black type thing. I don't even get why they were attracted to each other. Oliver being an ex-magician should have been more interesting than what we got.

There are also too many secondary characters to keep track of while reading this book. You have Nick Tremayne (up and coming Hollywood actor), his assistant, Irene's boss, a hired killer, the hired killer's father, Oliver's close associates (who I refuse to look up) and at a certain point I ceased to care about keeping people straight in my head.

The writing was not typical 1930s. I was hoping for a screwball comedy type writing (think His Girl Friday) or some typical noir mystery book that would have fit in perfectly.

The pacing was awful from beginning to end. When you think one mystery is over, the second mystery jumps in and it goes back and forth. I still don't know what happened and who did what to who except in one of the plot-lines. Maybe that was the issue, we had too much going on in the first book in this series.

Burning Cove, CA is the setting of this book and it did not come to life to me at all. You would think there would be some hint of the Great Depression or the second World War. The whole book felt weirdly out of touch with the time period being depicted.

Hard pass. ( )
  ObsidianBlue | Jul 1, 2020 |
My first Amanda Quick mystery. In the 1930s, Anna Harris flees the home of her murdered employer, Helen Spencer, who bequeathed her cash and a notebook with mysterious notations. She drives across the country to restart her life as Irene Glasson in Burning Cove, California, just outside LA, but there are ruthless villains who will do anything to obtain that notebook. Good world-building, with plenty of flapper glamour, champagne, beautiful hotels, exotic cars, and movie stars with Pasts they want to keep hidden. Light, quick, often wry prose that feels just right, and with a nice spritz of romance. ( )
  KarenOdden | Jun 23, 2020 |
So disappointed. Was looking forward to this one and just couldn’t get into at all. ( )
  Crystal423 | Mar 23, 2020 |
4.5 stars.

The Girl Who Knew Too Much by Amanda Quick is a delightfully clever mystery that is set during the glamorous Golden Age of Hollywood.

After her previous job abruptly comes to a dangerous and tragic end, Irene Glasson reinvents herself upon her arrival in Los Angeles. Now an up and coming reporter at gossip rag Whispers, she is hoping her upcoming meeting with Gloria Maitland provides her with the information for a titillating article on rising star Nick Tremayne. Unfortunately, Irene finds Gloria's lifeless body in the swimming pool at the upscale Burning Cove Hotel. Believing Gloria's death is no accident, Irene remains in town and pairs up with the hotel's owner (and former magician) Oliver Ward to try and uncover the truth about Gloria's death.

Irene is a spunky young woman who does not shy away from danger. She is resourceful, confident and determined to find the truth about Gloria's death. She is reluctant to completely trust Oliver, but once she realizes how far Nick's studio will go to protect their star, she has no choice but to work with him. Stubbornly convinced that Nick is connected to Gloria's death and her co-worker Peggy Hackett's eerily similar death, Irene ignores the danger surrounding her and doggedly pursues every lead she finds.

Despite his previous fame, Oliver now keeps a low profile and he is a little mysterious since he refuses to discuss the accident that ended his career. Since he is intensely protective of his guests, he is not at all pleased to discover that Irene somehow managed to find her way onto to the hotel grounds. It goes without saying he has a vested interest in learning the truth about what happened to Gloria since the negative publicity could harm his hotel's reputation. Oliver is stunned by the spark of interest he feels for Irene and the more time he spends in her company, the more vibrant and alive he feels. While he can be a little grumpy and close-mouthed, he is nothing but supportive of Irene throughout their investigation.

Irene's investigation takes many surprising twists and turns as Nick tries to downplay any involvement with her death. Although Irene is a little frightened by some of the strong arm tactics employed by the studio's hired goons, she refuses to give up digging for the truth. Will Irene and Oliver find the evidence they need to support her theory about that Nick is Gloria's killer?

Although there is plenty of danger surrounding them, Oliver and Irene find the time to explore their unexpected attraction for each other. While their romance is a delightful addition to unfolding story, the investigation into the suspicious deaths remains the main focus of the storyline.

The Girl Who Knew Too Much is a wonderful novel with a fantastic cast of characters and intriguing mysteries to solve. Amanda Quick deftly brings both the time period and setting vibrantly to life. Irene is a gutsy heroine who never lets anyone or anything deter her from finding the truth about the what happened to Gloria and Peggy. The killer's identity and motive for the murders are carefully concealed until the novel's dramatic conclusion. I thoroughly enjoyed this spellbinding novel and I highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys historical mysteries. ( )
  kbranfield | Feb 3, 2020 |

Amanda Quickprimary authorall editionscalculated
Corless, Laura K.Designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Frangie, RitaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rosen, DariaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zelei, PeterCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Has the (non-series) sequel

This one is for my wonderful editor,
Cindy Hwang,
who said. "Go for it!"

Thank you for believing in me and in this book.
The abstract painting on the bedroom wall was new. It had been painted in fresh blood.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 154,641,624 books! | Top bar: Always visible