Mississippi Blood: A Novel by Greg Iles

Mississippi Blood: A Novel (original 2017; edition 2017)

by Greg Iles (Author)

Series: Natchez Burning (3), Penn Cage (6)

The #1 New York Times Bestseller GoodReads Choice Award semi finalist, Amazon Best Mysteries & Thrillers of 2017 selection The final installment in the epic Natchez Burning trilogy by Greg Iles "Natchez Burning is extraordinarily entertaining and fiendishly suspenseful. I defy you to start it and find a way to put it down; as long as it is, I wished it were longer. . . . This is an amazing work of popular fiction."    -- Stephen King "One of the longest, most successful sustained works of popular fiction in recent memory... Prepare to be surprised. Iles has always been an exceptional storyteller, and he has invested these volumes with an energy and sense of personal urgency that rarely, if ever, falter." --    Washington Post The endgame is at hand for Penn Cage, his family, and the enemies bent on destroying them in this revelatory volume in the epic trilogy set in modern-day Natchez, Mississippi--Greg Iles's epic tale of love and honor, hatred and revenge that explores how the sins of the past continue to haunt the present. Shattered by grief and dreaming of vengeance, Penn Cage sees his family and his world collapsing around him. The woman he loves is gone, his principles have been irrevocably compromised, and his father, once a paragon of the community that Penn leads as mayor, is about to be tried for the murder of a former lover. Most terrifying of all, Dr. Cage seems bent on self-destruction. Despite Penn's experience as a prosecutor in major murder trials, his father has frozen him out of the trial preparations--preferring to risk dying in prison to revealing the truth of the crime to his son. During forty years practicing medicine, Tom Cage made himself the most respected and beloved physician in Natchez, Mississippi. But this revered Southern figure has secrets known only to himself and a handful of others.  Among them, Tom has a second son, the product of an 1960s affair with his devoted African American nurse, Viola Turner.  It is Viola who has been murdered, and her bitter son--Penn's half-brother--who sets in motion the murder case against his father.  The resulting investigation exhumes dangerous ghosts from Mississippi's violent past. In some way that Penn cannot fathom, Viola Turner was a nexus point between his father and the Double Eagles, a savage splinter cell of the KKK. More troubling still, the long-buried secrets shared by Dr. Cage and the former Klansmen may hold the key to the most devastating assassinations of the 1960s. The surviving Double Eagles will stop at nothing to keep their past crimes buried, and with the help of some of the most influential men in the state, they seek to ensure that Dr. Cage either takes the fall for them, or takes his secrets to an early grave.  Unable to trust anyone around him--not even his own mother--Penn joins forces with Serenity Butler, a famous young black author who has come to Natchez to write about his father's case. Together, Penn and Serenity battle to crack the Double Eagles and discover the secret history of the Cage family and the South itself, a desperate move that risks the only thing they have left to gamble: their lives. Mississippi Blood is the enthralling conclusion to a breathtaking trilogy seven years in the making--one that has kept readers on the edge of their seats. With piercing insight, narrative prowess, and a masterful ability to blend history and imagination, Greg Iles illuminates the brutal history of the American South in a highly atmospheric and suspenseful novel that delivers the shocking resolution his fans have eagerly awaited. … (more)
Member:Rawluk
Title:Mississippi Blood: A Novel
Authors:Greg Iles (Author)
Info:William Morrow (2017), 704 pages

Mississippi Blood by Greg Iles (Author) (2017)

English (30)  German (1)  All languages (31)
The sixth and final book in the Penn Cage trilogy. I really think Greg Iles is among the best writers of "Southern secrets." However, I think the scope of this book was a bit too narrowly focused on the trial of Penn's father, highly respected Dr. Tom Cage, and the legal strategies of his defense lawyer and prosecutor Shadrach Johnson. In fact, I though the book was strongest away from the trial: the visiting award-winning writer, the new witness that can sink the Double Eagles, and the young reporter who suffers a viscious, life threatening attack early in the book. That said, the book still resonates with tension, and I will miss this series. Too bad that the bad guys got off without real punishment. Please write again soon Greg!! ( )
  skipstern | Jul 11, 2021 |
I have finished this series. The first three books were easy to read.... the last three, not so much. I enjoyed the final one the most. ( )
  RobertaLea | Nov 29, 2020 |
Quite a good yarn loses itself with a bit of detail that's unnecessary Iwould recommend it ( )
  Brumby18 | Jul 11, 2020 |
After the last book I was devastated - I really hated the way it ended. Book 3 picks up right where book 2 ends. Tom Cage's trial takes up the majority of this book and believe me you couldn't have seen a more nail-biting trial on any TV show.
Greg Iles knows how to ratchet up the suspense and danger and I began to wonder who really did kill Viola Turner. I thought I knew and then another suspect popped up.
I won't provide any spoiler here but suffice it to say that this book (as the others did) left me in tears at the end. But in the end I was satisfied with how it turned out. ( )
  ddeluna1 | Mar 19, 2020 |
Finished in the wee hours of the morning, not simply for a lack of time. This exciting end to the Natchez Burning trilogy once started, can not be put down, nor should it be because frankly, you HAVE to know what's going to happen to do many characters beloved and hated before you can call yourself satisfied. I'm not gonna lie, there is much darkness in this book, just like the rest, but what makes that all the harder is it could have simply been plucked from history. It shows man in his "finest" moments, both real and perceived, and reminds us just how far most would go for those we hold dear. If you've not read the prior two, I highly suggest you do and then dive into this grand finale. ( )
  GRgenius | Sep 15, 2019 |

Belongs to Series

For Betty and James Iles, who came out of tiny southern towns and climbed books like stairs to rise. Thank you for everything.
Grief is the most solitary emotion; it makes islands of us all.
By tweet and Facebook post dated 2/1/2016, Iles announced: "The new title of Book 3 of the trilogy is no longer Unwritten Laws, but 'Mississippi Blood.' "

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,520,640 books! | Top bar: Always visible