Blaze by Suzanne Wright

Demon/person persona.

This is a really engaging read, I enjoyed this not quite as much as the first but was a close call ,Knox is well Knox and Harper is her usually feisty I am my own person self, I like the fact that she is also sensible when it comes to Knox's security concerns for her, this story set the pages alight with its bedroom antics was a very sexy read, sits here fanning myself all in all a well written fun read I will look forward to the next. ( )
  carpathian1974 | Jun 6, 2017 |
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: This urban fantasy/paranormal romance sequel to Burn continues with another action packed sex-filled romp. You’ll love it if you happen to like an uber macho Alpha man.

Opening Sentence: “Stop right there, bitch!”

The Review:

Blaze is the second novel in the Dark In You series by Suzanne Wright. I recommend that you read Burn first because it continues the story of Harper Wallis and Knox Thorne, the new power couple of Demon society, as their relationship continues to grow stronger. This review may contain some spoilers from book one so stop reading if you don’t want to know anything more.

Not much time has passed since the events in Burn happened, Harper is just getting comfortable with the life that she now has thanks to Knox. Harper is forced to get comfortable with the fact that she is now the co-Prime with Knox, a position that she didn’t realize would come from their relationship. Harper is now forced to plan a party for her being named co-Prime. A party that she is also equally uncomfortable with because she doesn’t like attention being pointed towards her.

While the party for Harper is being planned, a demon has turned rogue kidnapping Harper’s estranged mother. The rogue demon is claiming that he has seen a prophecy that Harper and Knox’s child will destroy the world in flames. Harper is a little uneasy about the prophecy even with Knox’s assurances that that it is impossible. While investigating the rogue demon, they find out that Isla’s plan to destroy all Primes is not over, someone else wants to continue with her plan. And to take out the Primes means they have to take out Knox, the most powerful first.

For the most part, I still really like Harper’s badassedness. She doesn’t give a shit what others think about her. She is trying to adjust to being a celebrity in the demon world but is still a bit embarrassed by it. She has no problem fighting her own battles much to the chagrin of Knox. My only complaint about Harper is that she is a bit of a bully in this novel. At first, I think it was for some humor and even when Harper had her suspicions about the person having ulterior motives, it just became mean. She was actually wanting to ruin this womans’ career just because she didn’t like her. Yeah she was a tattle-tale but Harper got too much of a kick out of embarrassing this woman and being straight up mean to her.

Knox is even more Alpha male in this novel. He would rather Harper be locked away so she is never hurt again but he knows doing that would end what makes her Harper, what makes her the woman he loves. Knox is also a bit more vulnerable because of loving Harper. His demon side just adds more to the possessiveness angle.

The mystery angle of the story kept me guessing as to who was pulling the strings of the rogue but the overall arc is still an unknown. Another potential relationship is revealed in this novel, I also really hope they get their own novel. Their interaction was pretty funny. The story still alternated between Harper and Knox’s third person views.

Overall, this is a story for fans of paranormal romance and urban fantasy alike. The story is very sexual at times while still having a mystery underlying the story line. If you like your stories a bit on the dark and sexy side, definitely try this series.

Notable Scene:

“People tend to ask what tattoos mean.”

And his sphinx was an extremely private person who gave very few people peeks of her soul. “Will you tell me what yours mean?”

“I got ‘So it Goes’ from Slaughterhouse Five to remind myself not to dwell on anything I can’t control – bad shit happens; it’s part of life. I got the little raven on my hipbone because I can relate to ravens; they’re tricksters, they think and strategize.”

Like her family, Knox thought. “What about the dragonfly on the nape of your neck?”

“They have a short lifespan and they’re very delicate, but neither of those things hold them back. I admire that. They’re master fliers, which I also fully admire.” And something she’d also envied until her own wings came to her. “What am I supposed to say when people ask why I have a thorny choker tattooed around my throat?”

“Only humans would need to ask. Demons will already know what it means.” They would see the thorns and know immediately that it was his brand of possession.

FTC Advisory: Piatkus/Little Brown provided me with a copy of Blaze. No goody bags, sponsorships, “material connections,” or bribes were exchanged for my review. ( )
  DarkFaerieTales | Sep 6, 2016 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,792,329 books! | Top bar: Always visible