Counterpart by Hayley Stone

Counterpart

by Hayley Stone

841,470,988 (3.4)None

I enjoyed this sequel even more than its predecessor. The story is more developed, the pace is more consistent, and the romance between the two MCs feels more authentic now. The novel starts off with a good action sequence and ends with a great transitional scene that could potentially introduce an additional book. The reader gets a better look into many of the characters and a few new ones make an appearance. For readers who like post-apocalyptic Sci-fi novels, especially with witty one-liners quoted from Sci-fi films.

Net Galley Feedback ( )
  LibStaff2 | Mar 1, 2017 |
Counterpart is the second book in author Hayley Stone’s Machinations series and as sequels go, it’s pretty darn good. The machines are back and stronger than ever and it seems like they may have a new and terrifying ally.

This novel is just as fast and furious as the first and it kept my attention thoughout. The story is still reminiscent of the scifi movies of the ‘80s but, hey, I loved those movies and, despite its lack of originality, this is a fun read. It does end on a cliffhanger and I look forward to the next book in the series.

Thanks to Netgalley and Random House – Hydra for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an honest review ( )
  lostinalibrary | Feb 26, 2017 |
Originally posted on Tales to Tide You Over

I very much enjoyed the first book in this series so when I was offered a review copy of Counterpart, I jumped at it. Though the beginning is confusing, it is deliberately so, and doesn’t keep you hanging too long after it introduces a host of problems to plague Rhona and Camus.

Again, we have a very personal story wrapped around an epic battle between the remnants of humanity and the misguided machines. It’s not the same story as the first book, though they share central themes, but rather a continuation of the last, desperate attempt to reclaim the Earth for humanity.

Nor does simplicity hold the ground.

Humans have not flipped a switch in human nature to become perfect with such an enemy to fight. Rhona is attempting to convince everyone that united we stand and divided we fall but has mixed results because people don’t want to give up power and each want their agendas addressed first.

Neither is Rhona a paragon of virtue. She makes mistakes, some of which are the kind that made me want to shake some sense into her, but at the same time, I can follow her logic and understand why she says what she does. Not only that, but the consequences and resolutions to her mistakes are both viable and satisfying.

The single first person point of view is a little hard to take when I want to know what’s happening to the other characters I care about, but at the same time, it offers some tension that otherwise the reader wouldn’t feel. Especially with how the book begins, there are some serious crises dangled in front of the reader with questions raised that I was eager to learn the answers for.

Counterpart is another good story with a powerful mix of life and death action, and filled with strong characters I wanted to succeed even when the political and social tangles, not to mention the machine attacks, threatened to destroy them. I continue to enjoy the interpersonal conflicts as Rhona attempts to build her coalition through a variety of tactics, and not all of them diplomatic.

I will give the warning that the book ends on a cliffhanger, but not until after the main threads have resolved in wonderful ways. It left me both satisfied and wishing the third book was already out.

One final note: I really appreciated the development of Samuel’s character, as well as Rhona’s continued struggles with her purpose and her rights as a person to lay claim to her own existence. The series does not ignore either the small moments that make a person or the big questions raised by some of the less orthodox solutions offered.

P.S. As I mentioned above, I received this book from the publisher through NetGalley in return for an honest review. ( )
  MarFisk | Oct 16, 2016 |
Enjoyed this story of Mankind vs. Machines AI, except for the introspection of the main character, a female clone. So I guess you could say the character development was stereotyped. Otherwise the plot moved along and was a fun rea. Clearly the author intends to create sequels based on the conclusion . ( )
  dmclane | Sep 19, 2016 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,826,587 books! | Top bar: Always visible