A Spell Of Trouble (Silver Hollow Paranormal…

A Spell Of Trouble (Silver Hollow Paranormal Cozy Mystery Series) (Volume… (edition 2016)

by Leighann Dobbs (Author)

Member:lovestamps
Title:A Spell Of Trouble (Silver Hollow Paranormal Cozy Mystery Series) (Volume 1)
Authors:Leighann Dobbs (Author)
Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2016), 352 pages

A Spell of Trouble by Leighann Dobbs

Issy and her cousins need to find out who used black magic to murder town troublemaker Louella Drummond before the FBPI comes to town and does their own investigation. The FBPI has been noted to take any paranormals they uncover to a secret location and they never return.

Issy and her cousins are all witches as are many of the people living in the small town. In fact, one the the sheriff's deputies is a werewolf. Issy runs a pet shop, her cousin Raine is a landscaper, her cousin Gray runs the local beauty shop, and another cousin runs the candy store. All are white witches who enhance their products for good results.

Issy isn't expecting to fall for FBPI Agent Dex Nolan but Dex is unusual. He doesn't believe that paranormals exist.

This was an interesting mystery that combined magic and the mundane since the crime could have been committed to prevent a piece of land from being rezoned for a strip mall. Issy discovers that there is a species of endangered lizards on the land too which would be enough even with the fact they the lizards have magical uses.

This was a cute story and a nice mystery which begins a series. ( )
  kmartin802 | May 17, 2019 |
A Spell of Trouble is the series starter for Silver Hollow and I am so excited to have found this series! I am a fan of cozy mysteries and this one was super cute but also quite interesting. The story is set in the town of Silver Hollow where most of the inhabitants are of the paranormal variety. Isolde Quinn is the main character and she is a witch who runs the local pet store that caters to both the magical and non-magical inhabitants of the town. The paranormals in Silver Hollow liked to fly under the radar and keep to their motto: do no harm. Anything that would harm others was not something a normal paranormal in that town would want to do because that would bring them to the attention of the committee, or worse, to the attention of Federal Bureau of Paranormal Investigation. A division of the FBI who love to get their hands on paranormals and not to give them a pat on the back. With the death of Louella not only does Issy and her cousins come under the scrutiny of the committee but the FBPI also comes into town to start their own investigation.

I loved the familiars in this story, lol, they were very cute and each had their own way about them. The paranormal characters were interesting and I liked the variety of them that were in the town. There was something for every lover of fantasy and the characters were nicely developed. The mystery was interesting and not a simple one. I did have my suspicions early on who the culprit was but I still enjoyed the story. The villain in this story is quite nasty and I always enjoy a good villain. There were plenty of twists and turns throughout this story and that kept my interest piqued. There was also the added bonus of an almost romance element between Issy and one of the FBPI agents, talk about taboo. By the time I reached the end of this story I was ready for more! This is absolutely a series I am going to be continuing in and I highly recommend A Spell of Trouble to fans of cozy mysteries. ( )
  TheGenreMinx | Mar 4, 2018 |
*I was voluntarily provided this review copy audiobook at no charge by the author, publisher and/or narrator.

The description of the book works well to tell you about it, so I'm going to skip the description I usually do.

Okay. I'm sold on the little extras in a story. Amy adds tinkling music as the title is read, and I just loved it. Amy does well with giving small personality differences when Issy and her cousins are together talking. There are little tone and attitude feel to them as she speaks. Amy has made it easy for me to forget she's narrating. This is a good thing! That means the story comes through strong, she's letting the story evolve through her and itself. Well done.

The story moves rather fast in talking to suspects and leads. I liked the quick moving of details and not getting caught up in details. I didn't feel as we missed anything, just that the story moved along a a good pace to keep me interested.

There are photos that Issy is looking for that could incriminate her cousin Gray. Though, I'm not sure what the hard push for these photos is. I'm wondering what else would be in the photo other than Gray in his birthday suit in the woods. There has to be more, right? And the strange feel we get from Gray and another character... we learn a bit about what his ritual was for in the end. But, as I went through the book I started to pick up that magic and witches is kept at a secret and that's what the photo's would have damaged for Gray, make him look like a witch with the town and get in trouble with the council.

I enjoyed the relaxing, cozy mystery here. Sometimes it's nice to take a slower pace then the high octane fights and rush. This was just that for me. You don't have the high suspense thriller heart-thumping worries. Or high action. It's exactly what the book is classified as, a cozy mystery. With a dab of paranormal. There was danger, but nothing that felt like our Quinn family was next on the list to die, though in the end there is a chance.

Issy works with different cousins and other paranormals in town to get to the bottom of the magical case. I found the characters to all be kind. I enjoyed them and their familiars. Even the one character that wasn't really a friend, she starts to grow into more. Nice creation here. Issy and her cousins are great together. I almost got the feel as if they were siblings more than cousins. It's a very tight family network here. And seeing them interact with their different familiars and each others was cute. But I think I really enjoy Brimstone, he's like a mysterious character. Brimstone is a stray cat that isn't anyone's familiar, yet he talks. We don't know when he'll show up.

The best way to solve a mystery is dig in, ask questions, and keep thinking when a suspect doesn't pan out at first try. It may lead you to the true culprit. And Issy does just this.

I enjoyed the relaxing mystery here and enjoyed the characters with their familiars. I would like to continue with the series as it's a story that's easy to relax and just enjoy. ( )
  MelHay | May 21, 2017 |

Leighann Dobbsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Douglass, Tracimain authorall editionsconfirmed

When town trouble maker, Louella Drummond, drops dead in front of Isolde Quinn's pet store just minutes after threatening both Issy and her cousin Graeme, the police in the small lakeside town of Silver Hollow assume it's from natural causes.

... Until it's discovered that Louella was murdered.

Not just any murder, though. Murder by paranormal means. Dark magic that could only have been performed by a powerful witch. And every law-abiding paranormal knows that dark magic is forbidden and carries strict punishment at the hands of "the committee" - the mysterious entity that provides law and order within the paranormal community.

Being witches, Issy and her three cousins fear they are at the top of the suspect list. To make matters worse, a secret division of the FBI has gotten wind of the happenings in Silver Hollow and sent two agents to ferret out paranormal activity. Even worse than that, Issy is annoyingly attracted to one of them!

Armed with their unconventional posse of familiars, Issy and her cousins dodge the efforts of the 'real" police and the special FBI agents while following a twisty path of clues that lead to a shocking betrayal.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,556,838 books! | Top bar: Always visible