The Hum by Sharon Mikeworth
532,154,881 (3.88)None
The first time Lee Bennett notices the humming sound in the distance, he believes it is coming from the aircraft engines at a nearby aviation center. But then he hears it again forty-five miles away at the new home he and his wife Shelby have just moved into, and he realizes it is something else entirely. He soon learns he is only one of thousands of people around the world who have detected "the Hum." He begins to observe other things as well: something is killing the animals, and people are behaving oddly.As a deadly sickness starts to plague the town's residents, he must find a way to halt the potentially far-reaching events before it is too late.… (more)

Lee Bennett has finally landed his first book deal and used the advance to rent a house in an ideal location to write his book, but there is tension between his need to write and his wife’s desire for a child. An infuriating hum and missing animals provide the first hints all in not right. Then the odd lights and an accident bring more concerns. Now a pathogen making people sick and the government quarantine the community. Bennett and two neighbors may know cure, but it may be too save his marriage. There are a few twist and turns to hold the reader’s interest in this supernatural thriller.

LibraryThing Member Giveaway randomly chose me to receive this book free from the publisher. I was under no obligation to write a review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. ( )
  bemislibrary | May 7, 2017 |
The Hum is a fast-paced science fiction story that's rather an enjoyable read. It follows Lee Bennet as he investigates an odd mechanical humming noise ('The Hum', a genuine reported phenomenon) which seems to be linked to a series of strange events.

From the plot summary I was expecting a slow burning mystery story which could have science-fiction/fantasy leanings, but this is straightforward science fiction (which I enjoy). The author's style is straightforward with no flowery language, but that does work well with the speed of the narrative.

There are a few bits and pieces in the book that could have benefited from a keen-eyed editor, but I really enojyed the story and am tempted to look up more of the author's work.

This novel is in a similar style to the books that come out alongside series such as the X-files, and I'd definitely recommend it to people who enjoy books of that type (as I do!) ( )
  Alfirin | Mar 12, 2017 |
When I requested this book, I thought it was a thriller. After reading about 100 pages, I still believed it was a thriller, and I liked the author. Her language was beautiful and the plot well created and exciting. But then, the most incredible thing started to happen, and I realised that the genre was “Fantasy”. Unfortunately, I don’t like reading about things that are impossible to happen “in the real world”. That’s why I give this book three stars. But if you are a fan of “Fantasy”, I will highly recommend it, and I’m sure you will give this book five stars ( )
  Bengan | Mar 3, 2017 |

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Sharon Mikeworth's book The Hum was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Sharon Mikeworth is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 139,719,873 books! | Top bar: Always visible