House of Earth and Blood (Crescent City) by…

House of Earth and Blood (Crescent City) (edition 2020)

by Sarah J. Maas (Author)

"Half-Fae, half-human Bryce Quinlan loves her life. By day, she works for an antiquities dealer, selling barely legal magical artifacts, and by night, she parties with her friends, savoring every pleasure Lunathion-otherwise known as Crescent City-has to offer. But it all comes crumbling down when a ruthless murder shakes the very foundations of the city-and Bryce's world. Two years later, her job has become a dead end, and she now seeks only blissful oblivion in the city's most notorious nightclubs. But when the murderer attacks again, Bryce finds herself dragged into the investigation and paired with an infamous Fallen angel whose own brutal past haunts his every step. Hunt Athalar, personal assassin for the Archangels, wants nothing to do with Bryce Quinlan, despite being ordered to protect her. She stands for everything he once rebelled against and seems more interested in partying than solving the murder, no matter how close to home it might hit. But Hunt soon realizes there's far more to Bryce than meets the eye-and that he's going to have to find a way to work with her if they want to solve this case. As Bryce and Hunt race to untangle the mystery, they have no way of knowing the threads they tug ripple through the underbelly of the city, across warring continents, and down to the darkest levels of Hel, where things that have been sleeping for millennia are beginning to stir.."--… (more)
Member:cinstatelibrary
Title:House of Earth and Blood (Crescent City)
Authors:Sarah J. Maas (Author)
Info:Bloomsbury Publishing (2020), 816 pages
Collections:Fiction

House of Earth and Blood by Sarah J. Maas

This is urban fantasy not set in our world but in a world somewhat adjacent to ours. A world with some technology but also a world that saw the fall of angels and now some of them are slaves, paying for their crimes.
When Bryce Quinlan's friends were killed by a demon it changed her and changed her way of living. Now there are more murders and they're the same as before. Now Bryce is charged with investigating with Hunt Athalar assigned to guard and assist her and her past is serving her echoes and nothing is clear about it.
It's a twisty story that sometimes almost lost my interesting but overall I found it interesting and involving. It's a different urban fantasy and one that looks like it will make an interesting series. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Aug 20, 2020 |
Oh, if you guys know Sarah J Maas, you know what I'm about to say. WHAT THE WHAT! HOW COULD YOU DO THIS TO ME????!!!!

Ugh. I loved this book and cannot, literally cannot, wait for the next book. Like, I'm anxious for it. What a ride. Just. Read it. ( )
  jpeterman | Jul 10, 2020 |
things sarah j. maas did: THAT ( )
  primordialnyx | Jun 24, 2020 |
WOW!!!

I had a feeling this book was going to destroy me but never realised just how much. Hooked from the first page to the very last not wanting to put it down to adult each day. Then the last couple of hundred pages happened & I was even more a wreck going from crying to laughing and back & forth several times until the end.

Everyone has to read this book!!! ( )
  kymisan | Jun 23, 2020 |
I wanted to like this book so much. I was so excited for it. I even considered buying the ebook as well, because my preordered copy didn’t arrive until Friday (instead of Tuesday).
Also I really loved all her other books.
That said is the only reason I even finished it. I started to get bored and annoyed after about 3 chapters.
After about 150 pages I started reading reviews. Whenever I start doing that before I finished a book, it’s a dnf for me. And I am so annoyed about myself that I actually spend two days reading an 800-pages-book I hated, that I probably would have felt better dnf-ing it right away. That way only the money I'd spend would annoy me.
But there were some reviews that said, it got better after the first half… well, it didn’t.

There was an overwhelming amount of info dumping and world building. And for a fantasy that is very clearly urban fantasy I would have preferred it to take place in our world instead of building a new world with strange politics (I still don’t get it).
The world names were inspired by Norse mythology. Which annoyed me the hell out. I love mythology. I actually cheered when I first read “Midgard” and “Hel”. And that was just it. The names. Nothing more.
After 600 pages I skipped quite a view passages and pages… And it didn’t make a difference. There was just so many things unnecessary for the actual plot.

There was some mystery and oh-so-shocking (obvious) plot twists. But most of it I guessed pretty quickly. And even before that I just didn’t care about it. I was just bored.

I hated the characters. The only one I actually liked was Micah, and if that’s not saying something, I don't know what is.
I didn’t feel the romance between Bryce and Hunt. There was nothing and just suddenly poof, they lusted after each other.
It actually hurt something inside me to see how much of a Rowan-Rhys-mixture Hunt was.

It made me roll my eyes so hart how much she tried to make an adult-fantasy out of a young-adult book. It read the very same way as any other book of hers. Except with more coursing. And there were some more explicit sexual scenes. Did I enjoy them? Hell, no! It wasn’t even as steamy as ACOTAR. It just had more cringe worthy descriptions. And it was mentioned very often how much Bryce sleeps around. A few weeks was a long time for her to be abstinent. I don't mind that she did it. But the constant reminders were annoying.
Another thing that made it adult was the drinking and the drugs. I hated that so much. Of course it was necessary for the story at some point. But until then I really thought about throwing the book through the room because of that.

Well I guess one good thing came out of it… I am done with SJM.
I don’t think I will buy any more of her books. ( )
  jinxmoon | Jun 22, 2020 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,500,600 books! | Top bar: Always visible