Make It Hurt (Texas Bounty) by Jackie…

Make It Hurt (Texas Bounty)

by Jackie Ashenden

Hot sex scenes, oh yeah. Plot was ok- a lot of angst over the same things over and over again, but besides that, not too bad. The characters are likable, and their chemistry is smoking, but again, they could have gotten through a lot of their issues sooner.
In all, not bad, but I'm not looking for another.
*I received an arc from NetGalley for an honest review ( )
  KimMcReads | Dec 28, 2016 |
I usually enjoy all of the books I've read of JA, but for some reason this book just couldn't hold me as interested as most. I really liked Smith. He was all alpha all the time. Nora on the other hand was just meh. She is supposed to be the best bounty hunter in the area, a total badass, but I didn't see her that way. To me, she was kinda weak, didn't do research before going to pick up a skip, and traded sex for a skip. There was a history between the two characters so, at least there was a reason they got together so quick. Still going to read the series because I'm definitely look forward to more of the other bounty hunters. ( )
  amdrane2 | Dec 7, 2016 |
In this installment, we have a dark and twisted male lead and a strong-willed female lead, a past that's carrying a whole lot of hurt, anger, and revenge. Bounty hunter Nora Sutcliff walks into a bar to collect a skip and comes face to face with the one man who has the ability to tear down everything she has built for herself. For Smith, Nora is the only woman he dared to open his heart to and then she betrayed him in the worst way. When he left all those years, time and circumstances turned him into a hardened bitter and slightly disillusioned man. Nora on the other hand, buried her dreams and emotions so far down that it became pretty easy to ignore their existence. So now that I've given you this little teaser, you can expect plenty of emotional blackmail, anger, and hot & heavy romance too. So get clicking and grab a copy of this emotionally explosive book.

I received an Advanced Reader's Copy from NetGalley for voluntary review consideration ( )
  Ash_P | Dec 4, 2016 |
Nora Sutcliffe is a tough bounty hunter who always gets her target. She has had to prove her strength and fearlessness consistently in her line of work as she is often underestimated. No one has been able to rattle her. That is, until she goes to pick up her target who skipped his court date at a bar that is infiltrated by a Motorcycle Club. Her target is the Vice President and she has to convince the MC President to let her do her job. The only problem is that the President happens to be her only ex-boyfriend, Smith.

Smith has come a long, hard way since he last saw or heard from Nora. He was working on her wealthy family's pool house when he was distracted by her. He has had a grudge since their breakup and has since joined the military, then the Ministry (Motorcycle Club), where he has recently become President. Not only does he have to make his mark as President, but now he has to battle the one person who has sparked his rage for the last 8 years.

The first 20% of the book was fast-paced and switched perspectives from Nora and Smith. The alternating perspectives worked for the most part, except when the characters would argue with their own selves. There would be dialogue, then a character's thinking, which would be interrupted by it's own thinking in italics. It seemed like the author was going for the angel on one shoulder, devil on the other concept, but I found it to be distracting.

Along with the distracting perspectives, I also found Nora (and Smith for that matter) to be one-dimensional. Instead of working out their issues and finding a compromise that they can work towards, Nora and Smith spend most of the book rehashing the breakup. Over. And. Over. It was beyond redundant. Additionally, I found Nora to be irritatingly immature. There were a few scenes where she and Smith were heating things up and working out their past and she would suddenly change courses (by a thought in italics as discussed earlier) and decide to be cold and distant. Smith was greedy and disrespectful, especially in regards to Nora. He made promises he did not have intentions of keeping in order to benefit himself. He also coerced Nora into having sex with him in order for him to work with her on this job.

In conclusion, this book was only 2 out of 5 stars for me because it lacked depth. While it was not completely boring, it was unbelievable. ****SPOILER ALERT****For example: after 2 nights of sex, Smith asks Nora to move in with him. He did not like her apartment and even wanted her to quit her job because he could provide for her.

Warning: This book does contain foul language, sexually graphic scenes, and gun violence.

Please note: an electronic copy of this book was generously provided by the publisher via Netgalley. ( )
  JanJanFreeman | Nov 7, 2016 |
Nora is a bounty hunter who finds herself up close and personal to a motorcycle club president she loved during her younger days. The chemistry and love between the two is still alive, and it's interesting to see how these two lonely souls reunite despite limited trust. ( )
  ebrahmstadt | Oct 2, 2016 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,901,387 books! | Top bar: Always visible