Dusk or Dark or Dawn or Day

by Seanan McGuire

When her sister Patty died, Jenna blamed herself. When Jenna died, she blamed herself for that, too. Unfortunately Jenna died too soon. Living or dead, every soul is promised a certain amount of time, and when Jenna passed she found a heavy debt of time in her record. Unwilling to simply steal that time from the living, Jenna earns every day she leeches with volunteer work at a suicide prevention hotline. But something has come for the ghosts of New York, something beyond reason, beyond death, beyond hope; something that can bind ghosts to mirrors and make them do its bidding. Only Jenna stands in its way.… (more)

English (37)  Spanish (1)  All languages (38)
This is an interesting variation on ghost stories. I would enjoy more stories set in this mythology. ( )
  KittyCunningham | Apr 26, 2021 |
Probably my favorite of McGuire's books to date. Really well built. ( )
  wetdryvac | Mar 2, 2021 |
This fiction book tells about ghosts, witches, life and suicide from the main character; a female ghost called Jenna's perspective . The book is for people who will enjoy a first person narrative and like slow paced explanation as the story proceeds. This books is not for people who don't like suicide and death related things and don't like made up things about ghosts and witches for example there are steel, corn,rat etc witches. I totally agree with the author or should i say Jenna's statement which is “Time is time and that’s enough, because time is more precious than diamonds, more rare than pearls. Money comes and goes, but time only goes."
NEGATIVE POINTS: Slow paced worldbuilding and explanation that leaves little time for the story.
POSITIVE POINTS: Interesting worldbuilding and first person narrative. ( )
  The_Lost_Wanderer | Feb 7, 2021 |
Love love love!! A story of ghosts and witches with a new and unique perspective that was both fascinating and compelling. The narration was perfection - I was lost in the story from start to finish. My only complaint is that it was too short - I wanted MORE! I hope she revisits this from one of the other ghost's POV! This will be the first book of 2017 to make it to my "Favorites" list! ( )
  NCDonnas | Jan 2, 2021 |
  NCDonnas | Jan 2, 2021 |

Seanan McGuireprimary authorall editionscalculated
Stafford-HIll, JamieCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For everyone who has been tempted to go, and has found the strength to stay. I will see you all tomorrow.
The wind howls, the rain comes down in sheets, and Patty is still dead.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,744,320 books! | Top bar: Always visible