Dusk or Dark or Dawn or Day

by Seanan McGuire

When her sister Patty died, Jenna blamed herself. When Jenna died, she blamed herself for that, too. Unfortunately Jenna died too soon. Living or dead, every soul is promised a certain amount of time, and when Jenna passed she found a heavy debt of time in her record. Unwilling to simply steal that time from the living, Jenna earns every day she leeches with volunteer work at a suicide prevention hotline. But something has come for the ghosts of New York, something beyond reason, beyond death, beyond hope; something that can bind ghosts to mirrors and make them do its bidding. Only Jenna stands in its way.… (more)

English (40)  Spanish (1)  All languages (41)
This is a beautiful, gentle ghost story with fabulous characters, meandering plot, and wonderful world-building. I loved it start to finish. Was a little worried at one point that it was going to become full on horror, but the emotionally tense scene(s) resolved relatively quickly.

There are certainly horror elements, particularly aspects of ghosts and mirrors. But it is much more about found family, and choosing to be good and kind. ( )
  fred_mouse | Oct 20, 2022 |
Jenna is a ghost living - or I guess I should say haunting - in Manhattan. In this world, ghost are people who died before their time, and they stick around until the time they were supposed to die.

Many of the ghost "community" has disappeared from Manhattan, and not in the usual ways. It looks like someone has been doing away with them.

It's a mystery, and Jenna teams up with local witch Brenda to find out what's going on and rescue the ghosts.

sriddell | Aug 6, 2022 |
I love Seanan McGuire's short standalone fiction -- these books just have such uncompromising things to say, about family, integrity, community. Wildly imaginative, and tells a fast paced story. In this one, the mechanics of ghost life never quite made sense to me, but Jenna is so appealing as a character, cobbling together an afterlife that it's incredibly hard to put down. Fascinating and lovely. ( )
  jennybeast | Apr 14, 2022 |
So, so, so, so dragged out. The rhythm is so slow that it's a good book to fall asleep to.

She repeats things way too much. When she is not repeating, she instead being too vague about something only to have it explained later after I've done caring.

MC makes really dumb choices. going back home, super sketchy. Then exploring the theater by herself, come on!?

I'd tag it YA

{novella} ( )
  Seayla2020 | Aug 22, 2021 |
This is an interesting variation on ghost stories. I would enjoy more stories set in this mythology. ( )
  KittyCunningham | Apr 26, 2021 |

Seanan McGuireprimary authorall editionscalculated
Stafford-HIll, JamieCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For everyone who has been tempted to go, and has found the strength to stay. I will see you all tomorrow.
The wind howls, the rain comes down in sheets, and Patty is still dead.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 179,832,188 books! | Top bar: Always visible