dismiss

Wild Mind: Living the Writer's Life by…

Wild Mind: Living the Writer's Life (1990)

by Natalie Goldberg

An inspirational, practical, and often lighthearted guide on how to find time to write, how to discover your personal style, and how to make sentences come alive Natalie Goldberg, author of the bestselling Writing Down the Bones, shares her invaluable insight into writing as a source of creative power, and the daily ins and outs of the writer's task. Topics include balancing mundane responsibilities with a commitment to writing; knowing when to take risks as a writer and a human being; coming to terms with success, failure, and loss; and learning self-acceptance--both in life and art.   Thought-provoking and practical, Wild Mind provides an abundance of suggestions for keeping the writing life vital and active, and includes more than thirty provocative "try this" exercises as jump-starters to get your pen moving.   This ebook features an illustrated biography of Natalie Goldberg, including rare photos and never-before-seen documents from the author's personal collection.… (more)

English (13)  German (2)  All languages (15)
I just finished reading Natalie Goldberg’s book on writing. I don’t know how the book ended up in my hands but now that I’m writing, I was intrigued. Overall, I was disappointed. Parts of the book I found classist and other parts bordered on racist. The book is part of Bantam’s New Age collection, so there’s a lot the author tries to convey in a spiritual/philosophical vein. However, her tone seems to conflict with the message she says she wants to convey. As for the book’s structure, I don’t think there was any. There was no flow between sections, no organization, no building upon previous lessons. This work should have been edited down by about 100 pages and forged into a coherent progression.

There are two things I’ll take away from this book that are incredibly useful. First, she gives four things you must do in order to be a writer and do writing: (1) keep your hand moving; (2) lose control; (3) be specific; and (4) don’t think. I liked these so much I printed them on an index card I keep in front of me while I write. Second, her advice to would-be writers: “If you want to write, write. This is your life. You are responsible for it. You will not live forever. Don’t wait” (p. 45). ( )
  drew_asson | Mar 22, 2020 |
I highly recommend this book - Love how Natalie touches upon many aspects of being a Writer! ( )
  KPhotoWrtr2 | Sep 12, 2017 |
I have to agree with everyone that this book started out great. There was some good advice here and there; the best thing about the book is that it really motivates you and encourages you, giving you hope. However, sometimes Natalie seemed a bit far fetched and off track. Although this book offers motivation, it doesn't offer technique or suitable advice. A wonderful book to have to read once or twice, but not for eleven dollars... ( )
  ErinPaperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |
All I can say is that I am going out today to buy my writer's notebook. ( )
  asomers | Apr 15, 2016 |
This morning, I read five chapters and finished Wild Mind. I was immersed in Natalie Goldberg's writing. I love this woman. Her writing is rich and beautiful.She is really a gifted writer. Each chapter brought to life an analogy or personal reflection. I enjoyed gleaning the nuggets she shared throughout the book.

I'm eager to start her first book called Writing Down The Bones.

Wild Mind by Natalie Goldberg is a great book which I highly recommend to all writers on any level. There is something for everyone in this book.

To read more of this review, please visit http://www.ordinaryservant.com/?p=1077
  pvarsenec | Sep 20, 2012 |
For Virginia Maclovia, my old Talpa friend
and Carol Souter, my traveling partner
For fifteen years now, at the beginning of every writing workshop, I have repeated the rules for writing practice.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,554,312 books! | Top bar: Always visible