And the Rest Is History: The Chronicles of…

And the Rest Is History: The Chronicles of St. Mary's Book Eight (edition 2017)

by Jodi Taylor (Author)

Member:MmeRose
Title:And the Rest Is History: The Chronicles of St. Mary's Book Eight
Authors:Jodi Taylor (Author)
Info:Night Shade Books (2017), 376 pages

And the Rest is History by Jodi Taylor

This has some of the funniest bits of the series, embedded in many very, very bad days. ( )
  quondame | Dec 2, 2017 |
Wow! A lot happened in this book, and a warning: a lot of it was very traumatic and difficult to read, especially if you are like me, and have come to care about these characters. Their banter and inside jokes and genuine affection for one another just feels so real and it's so easy to see and hear them in my head while I read. So yes, this book had a lot of things happen that were devastating, and I felt that devastation along with the characters. But one of the best things about Jodi Taylor's writing is that the quirky humour and character banter that makes them feel so real, and so endearing, is also what makes the horrific and sad parts of the stories so powerful and devastating. You feel the pain and the sorrow and the anguish, and is really drives home how the friendships of this special group of people is so very important in getting through the tough things that life brings them. The story, overall, is very powerful and it moved fast with so much happening, that it had me on the edge of my seat, so to speak...right up to the final page. It didn't end with a cliffhanger...not exactly, but it did make me want to read the next book as soon as it's available to see what is going to happen next. I do love that this series is never predictable and it is rarely boring. That's a very rare thing today when so many books follow similar and predictable plots where it starts to feel like you're often reading the same book over and over with only the names changed. The Chronicles of St. Mary's, however, is not like any other books that I read and while some books in the series are better than others, they are always enjoyable and interesting. I really love this series, and I'm so glad I discovered it! It's not always easy to read, being a very empathetic and sensitive person, but she's done such a wonderful job of taking a very improbable concept (time travel) and making it just so damn believable!

Plus, I like history, and I have learned a lot of new history by reading these books, plus I like her approach to the history they travel to observe... they never forget that these were real people and there's respect for that. Max, the main character, acknowledges that and while there's excitement about seeing these major historical events, there's also the "reality" of the human pain and the true horrors that they sometimes are forced to observe...but Max feels like that observation is an important part of her job, and that she owes that to those people of the past...that what they went through is recorded accurately and remembered and appreciated. But their humanity is always evident. They get upset when they see some of the things they see, and it's difficult not to intervene, which they know they are not allowed to do, especially when they have to interact and are face to face with human suffering that they know they could prevent or lessen. It's so easy to forget that when we just learn about history and wars and events of the past...that they were real people, not just famous names and dates. So I appreciate that aspect in particular, and how she deals with it.

This series may not be for everyone, but overall I so love it when I get a new St. Mary's book and get to visit all the characters and see what is going on with them and in their lives. It's like being able to visit and catch up with old friends. I highly recommend the entire series which definitely needs to be read in order to truly understand the dynamics of what is going on.

I hope she writes many more in the series! ( )
  LongDogMom | Oct 13, 2017 |
Be forewarned, this one is a bit bleaker than normal. But you can still trust Jodi Taylor and the characters (who seem So real to Me!) And the story. Just next time, hoping for a more sunny escape. Soon please. ( )
  sydsavvy | Sep 5, 2017 |
This one is pretty emotionally wrenching, and don't think too hard about some of the logic of time travel (or lack thereof), but it's still good old St. Mary's fun. ( )
  Gwendydd | Aug 18, 2017 |
And the Rest is History - Taylor
Audio performance by Zara Ramm
2.5 stars

The series is no longer fun. There were too many tragedies in this story, not enough humor and not enough interesting interaction with the historical past. This series has been my lightweight reading, providing go-to books when I need distraction with some good laughs. I’m willing to overlook poor writing and enormous plot holes in exchange for a bit of fun. Also, my prediction is that the next book will include a case of amnesia, which will allow the author to reignite the romantic plot line that has already become repetitive. I’ll be waiting on reviews of the next one. They will have to be very positive before I attempt it. ( )
  msjudy | Jul 3, 2017 |

Jodi Taylorprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ramm, ZaraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

No one knows quite how, but Max and her baby are safe at last. No one knows quite how, but Peterson has persuaded Dr Foster to marry him. No one knows quite how, but Markham's marital status remains unknown. Certainly no one knows quite how a twelve-foot-high teapot has mysteriously materialised on the South Lawn, but it has. But they do know that Clive Ronan is back. They do know that he hates them and that this time he has good cause. And they do know that he will bring death and destruction in his wake. Follow the disaster magnets of St Mary's from the Egyptian desert to the Battle of Stamford Bridge, and from Hastings to the Sack of Constantinople in this, the eighth book in The Chronicles of St Mary's.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,981,252 books! | Top bar: Always visible