Beartown by Fredrik Backman

Beartown

by Fredrik Backman

Series: Beartown (1)

English (79)  German (1)  All languages (80)
Roughly a third of the way through this book, two major events happen. The first is a logical culmination of what has been laid out to that point. It is also a catalyst for what could be argued is an equally significant event that follows almost immediately. The author weighs one event against the other in the novel's community. It is also at this point the author reveals the book is indeed of the "young adult" genre. (By the way, why do YA titles almost always center on teenagers rather than young "adults"?) The author does a good job of crafting a number of very memorable significant and not so significant characters who stand out on their own. Also, throughout the book, he sprinkles a number of truly beautifully written moments -- moments that could only have worked so well if the characters had been so finely crafted. However, in general, there is little here that an aware, experienced true "adult" would find beyond what can be found easily in real life. No big issue is debated that hasn't been debated already. Supposedly, this is because the book is actually aimed at much more inexperienced -- and sheltered? -- "young adults". Unfortunately, for all that is good about the book, I question whether the author has any idea how the criminal justice system really works. This is not unimportant to believing the story line. There are a number of problems that show up because of how this is handled. I suspect I was supposed to be wrapped up in much of the over-hyped emotions, and not notice the rough treatment of reality. Perhaps, the biggest flaw in my eyes is the pairing the author makes of two very key characters. One is totally memorable, unique, and charismatic in a supremely humanly flawed way. The book, in my mind, is worth the price of admission for this character alone. And yet, the author has inextricably linked this character to what I can only describe as one huge cliche. Frankly, as much as the author explains why the two characters are linked, I struggle to accept that "logic" on its face. Am I inclined to read the follow-up book by this author on his community of characters? I'm not so sure. ( )
  larryerick | Aug 9, 2018 |
I told myself after reading A Man Called Ove that I needed to stop reading Backman's books while in public. I seem to have forgotten that and that's how I found myself sitting in the pharmacy waiting room with tears in my eyes. This packs an emotional punch that I was not prepared for. Excellent 4.5🌟 ( )
  ChelleBearss | Jul 23, 2018 |
Friday Night Lights comes to Scandanavia. Predictable and feels like Backman was writing with a movie in mind but still a great read. ( )
  sblock | Jul 18, 2018 |
I just read another Backman, [Beartown]. The second in the series is [Us Against You]. I have loved all the books I have read by him and this is no exception. Beartown centers around a small town defined by their love of hockey. It's all blown apart when a crime happens and people take sides. Still filled with his trademark humor and lots of love, but it does explore dark issues. Backman does a masterful job of not giving away the ending even through the book starts with it. Ha!! How's that for a hook? Now I have to get the second in the series... 4.75 stars ( )
  Berly | Jul 16, 2018 |
GOOD GOD this book. This was one heck of a ride. I was bored, but identified with some of the characters, then when the climax hit, I had trouble putting it down. I felt every emotion the characters felt, even laughed at parts in the darkest parts of the book because the jokes were spot on. This book was amazing, and I don't think I've read an author who captures humanity as well as Backman does. ( )
  avarisclari | Jul 13, 2018 |

Mob mentality/
Rape, revenge, renewal/
Hockey, hate and hope
(HelenGress)

"From the New York Times bestselling author of A Man Called Ove, My Grandmother Asked Me To Tell You She's Sorry, and Britt-Marie Was Here, comes a poignant, charming novel about a forgotten town fractured by scandal, and the amateur hockey team that might just change everything. Winning a junior ice hockey championship might not mean a lot to the average person, but it means everything to the residents of Beartown, a community slowly being eaten alive by unemployment and the surrounding wilderness. A victory like this would draw national attention to the ailing town: it could attract government funding and an influx of talented athletes who would choose Beartown over the big nearby cities. A victory like this would certainly mean everything to Amat, a short, scrawny teenager who is treated like an outcast everywhere but on the ice; to Kevin, a star player just on the cusp of securing his golden future in the NHL; and to Peter, their dedicated general manager whose own professional hockey career ended in tragedy. At first, it seems like the team might have a shot at fulfilling the dreams of their entire town. But one night at a drunken celebration following a key win, something happens between Kevin and the general manager's daughter--and the next day everything seems to have changed. Accusations are made and, like ripples on a pond, they travel through all of Beartown, leaving no resident unaffected. With so much riding on the success of the team, the line between loyalty and betrayal becomes difficult to discern. At last, it falls to one young man to find the courage to speak the truth that it seems no one else wants to hear. Fredrik Backman knows that we are forever shaped by the places we call home, and in this emotionally powerful, sweetly insightful story, he explores what can happen when we carry the heavy weight of other people's dreams on our shoulders"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,009,987 books! | Top bar: Always visible