Kookabuk Shares His Shovel (The Kooky Adventures of My Friend Kookabuk)…

by Kevin Howard

224,433,057 (5)None
Recently added byVirginia51, Carlathelibrarian

No tags

This is a very nice story. Kookabuk and Emily are friends. Kookabuk doesn't always make friends easily because he has some learning problems. This book helps Kookabuk learn to share with Emily. I liked the illustrations also. I received this ebook from Smith publicity and Netgalley for a fair and honest opinion. ( )
  Virginia51 | Oct 14, 2016 |
This is a great book to read to and use with children with ASD. It is also a great book to use in schools and when training staff working with these children. The beginning of the book gives a brief introduction of the characters and has a poem that fits in with the skill being reinforced in the book. The end of the book gives a quick recap and "The Best of Help Tips" to dealing with an ASD child.

This book is about sharing. Kookabuk does not want to share his shovel and has a tantrum when his mother asks him to share with his friend Emily. Mother shares her shovel and dump truck with Emily to model the proper way to play. Kookabuk gradually sees how much fun they are having and joins in. He eventually shares his shovel with some gentle reminders from his mother and the use of a timer. The illustrations are cute and colourful with large characters on most pages.

Even though this book was written as a Social Story for children with ASD, it could be used with any child to teach the concept of sharing. I definitely think it should be in all classes with children having special needs as well as in all their family homes.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  Carlathelibrarian | Sep 17, 2016 |

Genres

No genres

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,354,526 books! | Top bar: Always visible