How to Be a Stoic: Using Ancient Philosophy…

How to Be a Stoic: Using Ancient Philosophy to Live a Modern Life (edition 2018)

by Massimo Pigliucci (Author)

In the tradition of How to Live and How Proust Can Change Your Life, a philosopher asks how ancient Stoicism can help us flourish today Whenever we worry about what to eat, how to love, or simply how to be happy, we are worrying about how to lead a good life. No goal is more elusive. In How to Be a Stoic, philosopher Massimo Pigliucci offers Stoicism, the ancient philosophy that inspired the great emperor Marcus Aurelius, as the best way to attain it. Stoicism is a pragmatic philosophy that focuses our attention on what is possible and gives us perspective on what is unimportant. By understanding Stoicism, we can learn to answer crucial questions: Should we get married or divorced? How should we handle our money in a world nearly destroyed by a financial crisis? How can we survive great personal tragedy? Whoever we are, Stoicism has something for us--and How to Be a Stoic is the essential guide.… (more)
Member:Cfdaisjr
Title:How to Be a Stoic: Using Ancient Philosophy to Live a Modern Life
Authors:Massimo Pigliucci (Author)
Info:Basic Books (2018), Edition: Reprint, 288 pages

Work Information

How to Be a Stoic: Using Ancient Philosophy to Live a Modern Life by Massimo Pigliucci

Massimo Pigliucci (the author) presents the topic by having mock conversations with stoic philosophers. It seemed a little weird at first but the format grew on my over the course of the book. ( )
  Jerry.Yoakum | Mar 17, 2022 |
Engaging and informative. I finished up with the audiobook because my library loan of the hardback expired. I think I would have enjoyed it more had I been able to keep going with the physical book. ( )
  amcheri | Oct 7, 2021 |
I didn't find this as useful or practical or insightful or concise as reading Seneca or Marcus Aurelius or Epictetus but it was fine. ( )
  RebeccaBooks | Sep 16, 2021 |
How to Be a Stoic is a fine introduction to the philosophy and practice of Stoicism. If I were a relative blank slate and wished to mold my beliefs and choices to a philosophy, Stoicism would be close to the best fit for me. I also realized while reading that I've been doing a lot of this for the past 20+ years anyway. Only I wasn't focused solely on Stoicism. I've long been sampling the philosophies of the world and molding my... self, or sharpening the 'what I believe in' part of my mind, in the natural course of living and being introspective for the entirety of my adult life.

This introduction to Stoicism was worth checking out from a historical perspective but much of the practical stuff I already do without knowing I was very much a Stoic at heart. Still, it's good to be able to describe what I've come to understand as valuable skills for living. ( )
  Daniel.Estes | Aug 7, 2020 |
Good way to get introduced to various Stoics. Really liked the practical spiritual exercises in the last chapter. ( )
  bsmashers | Aug 1, 2020 |
In every culture we know of, whether it be secular or religious, ethnically diverse or not, the question of how to live is central.

Massimo Pigliucci is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,735,177 books! | Top bar: Always visible