Celine: A novel by Peter Heller

Celine: A novel (original 2017; edition 2017)

by Peter Heller (Author)

"From the best-selling author of The Dog Stars and The Painter, a luminous, spine-tingling novel of suspense--the story of Celine, an elegant, aristocratic private eye who specializes in reuniting families, trying to make amends for a loss in her own past"--
Member:graps
Title:Celine: A novel
Authors:Peter Heller (Author)
Info:Knopf (2017), Edition: 1st, 352 pages

Celine by Peter Heller (2017)

English (30)  French (1)  All languages (31)
So good. I love the way Heller writes. Each sentence unspools and tugs me along. I keep having to pause to reread paragraphs and pages so I can linger over the images.
I only have one small, spoilery question. Why can't an expert PI like Celine locate her own daughter? That doesn't make sense to me.
I do love the grace and longing of the ending, though. Much to think about. ( )
  CMOBrien | Oct 18, 2021 |
This was thoroughly enjoyable and served as a good reminder that I can indeed enjoy mysteries every once in a while. In fact, if Heller ever chose to continue Celine's sleuthing in a series, I would eagerly keep going. She was such a fun character! Reading Heller as a new transplant to Colorado was even more satisfying, especially in that I'm right on the timeline of the story (add several years, of course). Much of my enjoyment came from Kimberly Farr's delivery, which was consistent in doing character voices. She was imperfect in some ways--Spanish accents were usually off, and Pete's Maine twang sounded more like Katharine Hepburn more than anything else--but it sure was fun listening. I was more invested in Celine's story than Hank's, though I appreciated the lost family juxtaposition. I would totally grab lunch with Celine sometime. ( )
  LibroLindsay | Jun 18, 2021 |
This was very very meh for me. I've really enjoyed both of Heller's prior novels and was excited to read this one. I was also excited that it was explicitly a mystery novel, since that's something I'm going out of my way to read more of this year. The book just didn't hit for me. I don't require 100% believability in any book, but the main character just felt all kinds of inconsistent (I'll forgive implausibility), and the plotting was just really uneven. The prose didn't generally shine for me either. I give the book a 3 out of a fondness for Heller's other work and because a 2 feels sort of mean for an author whose work I've admired, but this one really is more of a 2 for me. ( )
  dllh | Jan 6, 2021 |
The main character has stuck with me but I did not like this as much as the River. The reason for this is that I found the River much more engrossing. I just didn't buy the sniper trying to kill them. Recommended by Anne Bogel #wsirn but I'm not sure I loved it. I will have to go back and see what Anne said about it. ( )
  FurbyKirby | Jan 5, 2021 |
** : Léger agréable en période de confinement. Un joli bonbon.
  Eliseur | Jan 2, 2021 |

Peter Hellerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Leroy, CélineTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
With all Love

To my Mother, Caroline Watkins Heller—
Artist, Spiritual Warrior, Private Eye.

And to Lowell "Pete" Beveridge,
The Quiet American.
It was bright and windy, with the poppies flushing orange down the slopes of the bluffs, all mixed with swaths of blue lupine.
It was one year and one day after the Twin Towers had fallen. She could still almost smell the char, still see the air gritty with ash, and remember how the wind blew bits of charcoal financial statements and Post-it notes across the river where they fluttered over the dock like lost confetti. She could not have imagined a sadder finale to a grim year.
But she didn't know if she had the will to do any longer the work she was born for. Which was saying, in a way, that she no longer had the will to live.
Now, in Brooklyn, he channeled his talents into making healthy dinners that his wife would half eat, and into carving unabashedly erotic sculptures that the cleaning lady refused to dust.
One of Pete's other talents was to allow long conversations to be nonverbal and to have his companions be comfortable with it.
They were in open-range country north of Denver, running parallel to the mountains off to their left, the piled ranges of Rocky Mountain National Park dusted with new September snow.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,372,493 books! | Top bar: Always visible