dismiss

The Truth About Love and Dukes

by Laura Lee Guhrke

Series: Dear Lady Truelove (1)

Dear Lady Truelove . . . I have fallen in love, truly and completely in love, for the first time. The man whom I hold in such passionate regard, however, is not of my station. He is a painter, a brilliant artist. Needless to say, my family would not approve . . . Henry, Duke of Torquil, wouldn't be caught reading the wildly popular "Dear Lady Truelove" column, but when its advice causes his mother to embark on a scandalous elopement, an outraged Henry decides the author of this tripe must be stopped before she can ruin any more lives. Though Lady Truelove's identity is a closely guarded secret, Henry has reason to suspect the publisher of the notorious column, beautiful and provoking Irene Deverill, is also its author. For Irene, it's easy to advise others to surrender to passion, but when she meets the Duke of Torquil, she soon learns that passion comes at a price. When one impulsive, spur-of-the-moment kiss pulls her into a scorching affair with Henry, it could destroy her beloved newspaper, her career, and her independence. But in the duke's arms, surrender is so, so sweet . . .… (more)

Review ''In Victorian London, a businesswoman and a duke may disagree about everything and still find each other irresistible...An interesting tale from a well-respected author.'' --(Kirkus Reviews)
  BMoreno79403 | Aug 10, 2019 |
I'm a huge lover of historical romances, as my kindle and book cases can attest to, But I will admit, it had been a long time since I had read a "modern" historical romance, but as I had read Laura Lee Guhrke before, I had no problem jumping in to a book set in 1892, even if I did have to get used to the references to steam trains and the suffragette movement.

This is the story of Henry, Duke of Torquil and his way word mother, who decides to write to the advice columnist "Lady Truelove" about marrying a fortune hunter, elopement, and possibly sparking a scandal of epic proportion!

Irene Deverill has not had an easy life, being the daughter of a weak man, who squandered his father's publisher legacy and disinherited his son and if that is not enough! She is also the granddaughter of Viscount Ellesmere, a man who disinherited her mother and one whom she has never met!

But now she has bigger issues, in the shape of the Duke of Torquil, who is demanding that she stop giving advice, before she hurt another family. But with her refusal, the stakes get raised and now she finds her sister Clara and herself "guests" of Henry's, in order to convince his mother, not to marry someone who is holy unsuitable...but not everything goes as planned.

My goodness this book is scrumptious and I don't think I have been so determined to finish a book in this one setting, as I did with this one. The excellent of this author shines through in the amazing writing and plot that she produces! And you honestly can't help but love the characters! Even if you want to shake them at times. But by the end of the book, you are left wanting the next book something quite desperately.

I give The Truth about Love and Dukes 5 stars.
  Cara_Ross | Dec 2, 2018 |
Loved!

Henry and Irene are great characters, and their enemies-to-friends-to-lovers story was so much fun to read (though, really...why does it always take dukes so long to realize that hello, they're dukes and they can do what they want in life?) Henry's grand gesture was over-the-top fantastic (a thousand sighs, really!), and now I can't wait to see what Clara's book is going to bring!

Rating: 4 1/2 stars / A ( )
  beckymmoe | Sep 18, 2017 |

Laura Lee Guhrkeprimary authorall editionscalculated
Morris, CarolynReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
HarperAudioPublishersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

For my father, whose courage, resilience, and optimism inspire me every single day. I love you, Dad.
London, July, 1892

Henry Cavanaugh longed for a well-ordered life.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 149,006,566 books! | Top bar: Always visible