The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl Vol. 4: I…

The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl Vol. 4: I Kissed a Squirrel and I Liked It

by Ryan North, Erica Henderson (Illustrator)

Some more laugh out loud adventures from the ever resourceful Squirrel Girl and friends. This includes a "You Are Squirrel Girl" adventure where you can follow flow-charts to make decisions for Squirrel Girl. Then Squirrel Girl tries online dating leading to several unsuccessful dates with superheroes and one superhero truther. Mole Man pursues Squirrel Girl's hand in a spot-on parody of those stories where creepy men make grand romantic gestures and are supposed to be taken seriously. Finally, Squirrel Girl defeats a supervillain in her sleep. ( )
  Othemts | Jul 9, 2018 |
Squirrel Girl comics are always enjoyable and this was no exception.

I liked how clever this volume was. The choose your own adventure comic was so much fun. Plus, Doreen’s foray into online dating was so relatable. I loved how the last comic gave us a (totally not boring) computer science lesson.

Overall, this was another great volume. ( )
  jessicadelellis | Jan 1, 2018 |
The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl Vol 4: I Kissed a Squirrel and I Liked It written by Ryan North and (mostly) illustrated by Erica Henderson is the forth volume in the current/modern run of Squirrel Girl comics. This volume contains a three-issue arc nestled between a couple of stand-alone issues.

As always, Squirrel Girl makes for a fun read. The first issue was a "choose your own adventure" comic, which was amusing but slightly annoying to follow. Funny, but not a gimmick I'm keen to see too often. The story involved Swarm, a villain made of bees.

Next up was a three-issue arc in which Squirrel Girl attempts online dating and has some unfortunate experiences. Some of the dates are just mediocre, but one (which involved a superhero truther — denying their existence as part of a large conspiracy complete with animatronics) leads to an encounter with Mole Man. Mole Man had been planning to go on an evil rampage, but when Squirrel Girl is civil to him and convinces him to leave, he decides to hold the world to ransom to get a date with her. Classy. Lots of nice feminist commentary from Nancy in this one, though. And lots of gross stuff from the media, of course.

And the final issue in this volume is a short one-off in which Squirrel Girl battles a villain mainly using the powers of computer science, so that was pretty cool.

All in all, an enjoyable read and one for fans of Squirrel Girl and female-led superhero stories generally. This volume doesn't rely very much on events of the past, so I don't think it's a terrible place for new readers to start. Of course, starting at volume 1 gives you more Squirrel Girl to enjoy, but I suspect the comics are still enjoyable out of (volume) chronological order.

4.5 / 5 stars

You can read more of my reviews on my blog. ( )
  Tsana | Dec 17, 2017 |

North, RyanAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Henderson, EricaIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Chabot, JacobIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Henderson, EricaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0785196277, Paperback)

The hero who refuses to be beat celebrates 11 consecutive issues without a new #1! And she's letting you seize the chance to be the Unbeatable Squirrel Girl in a choose-your-own path encounter with Swarm, buzzkill made of bees! Then, Doreen takes charge of her life -her love life, that is - and starts dating. But just who will kiss a Squirrel and like it? Surely not...Mole Man?! When the subterranean super villain falls deep in love, he's willing to hold the world hostage to get Doreen's attention. Can she save everything without becoming Mrs. Mole Man? But enough with the hearts and the flowers and the kissing, you read this book for computer science and super heroics (not necessarily in that order). You'll get both - and more - in a showdown with Count Nefaria!

COLLECTING: THE UNBEATABLE SQUIRREL GIRL 7-11

(retrieved from Amazon Sat, 08 Oct 2016 22:05:46 -0400)

The hero who refuses to be beat celebrates 11 consecutive issues without a new #1. And she's letting you seize the chance to be the Unbeatable Squirrel Girl in a choose-your-own path encounter with Swarm, a buzzkill made of bees. Then Doreen takes charge of her life--her love life, that is--and starts dating. But just who will kiss a Squirrel and like it? Surely not--Mole Man? When the subterranean supervillain falls deep in love, he's willing to hold the world hostage to get Doreen's attention. Can she save everything without becoming Mrs. Mole Man? But enough with the hearts and the flowers and the kissing, you read this book for computer science and super heroics (not necessarily in that order). You'll get both--and more--in a showdown with Count Nefaria.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,003,341 books! | Top bar: Always visible