SantaThing signup ends Monday at 12pm Eastern US. Check it out!
dismiss

A Man With One of Those Faces (2016)

by Caimh McDonnell

Series: Dublin Trilogy [McDonnell] (1)

The first time somebody tried to kill him was an accident. The second time was deliberate. Now Paul Mulchrone finds himself on the run with nobody to turn to except a nurse who has read one-too-many crime novels and a renegade copper with a penchant for violence. Together they must solve one of the most notorious crimes in Irish history...or else they'll be history.… (more)
    The Sacred Art of Stealing by Christopher Brookmyre (quartzite)
    quartzite: If you enjoy McDdonnell's fast past thrillers with strong comic touch try Christopher Brookmyre for Scotland-based mayhem of equal pace, thrills and laughs.

the audiobook is excellent ( )
  Levitron | Oct 9, 2021 |
This originally appeared at The Irresponsible Reader as part of a quick takes post is to catch up on my "To Write About" stack—emphasizing pithiness, not thoroughness.
---
I did a Media Res post about this audiobook, and it was as fun as it seemed at the time. It's another comedic crime novel--there are a couple of cops running around, but the focus is on a couple of civilians who should absolutely not be the focus of a crime novel. Which is what makes it work.

Looking ahead, my least favorite character (actually, I had a hard time liking him at all) seems to be the focus of the series. It makes me reticent to carry on, but curiosity might get the better of me.

But as a stand-alone? This works so well--a solid thriller but told with wild characters. It'd be really easy to edit this just a little and remove all the humor and end up with a pretty gripping thriller novel, but with the humor? I really strongly recommend this.

The narration is really well done, although the voice choice for Bunny McGarry irritated me--and I probably would've disliked the character anyway but it really didn't help. ( )
  hcnewton | Sep 1, 2021 |
This was amusing, and great fun to read. ( )
  Vividrogers | Dec 20, 2020 |
This was a good fun read! ( )
  ThomasPluck | Apr 27, 2020 |
An enjoyable storey but I did get a bit muddled by all of the characters. Good fun with an unexpected twist at the end. ( )
  imyknott | Mar 31, 2020 |

McDonnell, Caimhprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Jones, Morgan C.Narratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,358,697 books! | Top bar: Always visible