Say Goodbye for Now

by Catherine Ryan Hyde

On an isolated Texas ranch, Dr. Lucy cares for abandoned animals. The solitude allows her to avoid the people and places that remind her of the past. Not that any of the townsfolk care. In 1959, no one is interested in a woman doctor. Nor are they welcoming Calvin and Justin Bell, a newly arrived African-American father and son. When Pete Solomon, a neglected twelve-year-old boy, and Justin bring a wounded wolf-dog hybrid to Dr. Lucy, the outcasts soon find refuge in one another. Lucy never thought she'd make connections again, never mind fall in love. Pete never imagined he'd find friends as loyal as Justin and the dog. But these four people aren't allowed to be friends, much less a family, when the whole town turns violently against them. With heavy hearts, Dr. Lucy and Pete say goodbye to Calvin and Justin. But through the years they keep hope alive waiting for the world to catch up with them.… (more)

I just wish these books would go on and on....I love Hyde's novels and really hate to finish one! She has such a wonderful and detailed presentation of all of her main characters. I am thrilled with how many she has written and how she is continuing----I am looking for her newest one right now. ( )
  nyiper | Jul 16, 2021 |
What a wonderful book to pull on heartstrings, set in Texas in 1959. Young Pete finds an injured dog/wolf on the side of the road, and when the local vet refuses to help, a helpful nurse sends him to the reclusive Dr. Lucy, who cares for injured or unwanted animals. Pete befriends Justin, neither of whom has a mother; however, Pete lives in a loveless home, while Justin lives in a loving one, with father Calvin. Pete and his father's relationship deteriorates over his friendship with Justin because of race, and Dr. Lucy finds herself in the middle of a maelstrom with three houseguests after Justin is badly beaten by racists. There are some great moments of bonding and parting between people and between people and animals. Recommended. Hyde's top rated novel. ( )
  skipstern | Jul 11, 2021 |
Wonderful book!!

Catherine Ryan Hyde is an excellent writer. I could feel the emotions all throughout the story. Love does not see color. Calvin and Lucy have a unique bond. Pete and Justin also develop a special friendship that grows stronger during the rough times. Beautiful story. So glad I read it. ( )
  caslater83 | Jun 2, 2019 |
I enjoyed this book. I really thought that this was going to be a book about a dog based on the cover. I obviously did not read the book's summary prior to starting this audiobook. There is a dog in the book but that dog is really not the main focus of the story. This was a story about race, love, and what really makes up a family. I am so glad that I stumbled upon this wonderful story.

This book is told from two points of view. Dr. Lucy takes care of animals and the occasional human that comes to her for help. She lives a rather isolated life on her ranch and likes it that way. Pete is a 12 year old boy that happens upon a wounded dog laying on the side of the road and feels compelled to help. Pete finds help for the dog in Dr. Lucy and so much more.

The characters in this book were wonderful and they all had their own complex story to tell. Dr. Lucy has been through a lot. The book is set in a time where people do not want to take a female doctor seriously so Lucy uses her skills to help animals. Pete has had a lot to deal with in his short life. Despite the way he is treated, he is still such a good kid and works hard to do what he feels is right. Justin and his father, Calvin, are new in town. The town has not been welcoming to them and has treated them poorly because of the fact that they are African American.

I loved the way that the relationships between these characters developed. If the rest of the world would simply go away, these four people would be very happy. Pete and Justin have so much in common and I loved watching their friendship progress. Lucy goes from being alone most of the time to have a real connection to Pete, Justin, and Calvin. Everything about their interactions seemed natural and it made me very angry that the local citizens did everything they could to not allow any of the connections to exist.

The narrators both did a great job with this story. I really do enjoy it when audiobooks utilize multiple narrators. Nick Podehl did a great job with Pete's point of view which was no small task since the character is a 12 year old boy. Teri Schnaubelt voices the parts that were told from Dr. Lucy's point of view. Both narrators were able to bring a lot of emotion into the story telling and were very pleasant to listen to for long periods of time. I would not hesitate to listen to either of these narrators again in the future.

I would recommend this book to others. This was a very well told story that really care about the characters. This was the first book by Catherine Ryan Hyde that I have read but I wouldn't hesitate to read more of her work in the future. ( )
  Carolesrandomlife | Mar 31, 2018 |
This book gave me all the feels. It may take a few moments to get them back in check.

Set in the late 1950s 4 people who aren't supposed to be seen together try to form a close knit family and friendships. Driven away by racism, hatred and violence they will have to work their hardest to try to make things work.

If you've not read this book. Get your hands on It ASAP.

Tiffy_Reads | Mar 19, 2018 |

Catherine Ryan Hyde is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,244,010 books! | Top bar: Always visible