Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat: Mastering the…

Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat: Mastering the Elements of Good Cooking (edition 2017)

by Samin Nosrat (Auteur)

Whether you've never picked up a knife or you're an accomplished chef, there are only four basic factors that determine how good your food will taste. Salt, Fat, Acid, and Heat are the four cardinal directions of cooking, and they will guide you as you choose which ingredients to use and how to cook them, and they will tell you why last minute adjustments will ensure that food tastes exactly as it should. This book will change the way you think about cooking and eating, and help you find your bearings in any kitchen, with any ingredients, while cooking any meal. --… (more)
Member:neilstcyr
Title:Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat: Mastering the Elements of Good Cooking
Authors:Samin Nosrat (Auteur)
Info:Simon & Schuster (2017), Edition: 01, 480 pages

Work Information

Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat: Mastering the Elements of Good Cooking by Samin Nosrat

Great "textbook" and cookbook. Plus also visually inviting to look at. The illustrations are almost as delicious as the writing. I came to the game backwards as I watched her Netflix documentary before I read her book. But I still found interesting information that I hadn't gleaned from just watching the series. Hoping she does another (both book and series) as she is fun to watch. Her enthusiasm for the foods she eats and cooks is contagious! ( )
  Jen-Lynn | Aug 1, 2022 |
Nosrat deep dives on the elements of salt, fat, acid, heat. By breaking down cooking by these elements, the author gives us the tools for thinking about recipes as more than a list of instructions to follow literally. The inspirational and instructional value continues in the recipe section where the recipes are treated more like templates that can be realized in many ways. ( )
  eri_kars | Jul 10, 2022 |
pretty great introduction for those afraid of cooking or new to it. i love the philosophy of having drawings rather than photos so that people can worry less about making sure their food looks exactly like the photo (I'm guilty of this myself), and the lessons and tips are great. the recipes are too bland, though i wonder if that's on purpose to encourage more experimentation or something
  rottweilersmile | Feb 28, 2022 |
I was hoping to learn more about the chemistry of cooking, as the title implied. And as a vegan, much of the book is useless to me.

One week later: Last night I made a vegetable melange I've been making for years that's always delicious. I took some ideas on salt from Nosrat's book this time & it made the flavors more subtle, the whole dish more wonderful than it's ever been. My previous rating for the book was 2.5 stars. I'm upping it for the salt chapter alone.

Back again: I've now made the one entree a vegan can eat in this book and had to add my own herbs, lemon, dulse, and some other things. For Nosrat, unless something is categorically "ethnic," seasoning seems to begin and end at salt & pepper, which is funny since she does this whole thing on how limited salt & pepper are. You'll need to get creative when using her recipes.

The above recipe was so delicious, I was going to give the book a 4. But 1) with slight variations, it's in about half of the vegan cookbooks I have; and 2) that a 2017 general cookbook indulges the economic, environmental, and ethical nihilism of eating animals to the point of being at least a third about animal products disgusts me. If you don't eat animals, check this book out of the library. If you do eat animals do some thinking about the fate of the planet. The run-off from farms creates dead zones in the oceans. The land taken up for feed could be used to grow food for the underfed or, as in the case of Brazil, could remain forested and the original inhabitants allowed to live unmolested. Eating meat is not sustainable this late in the anthropocene. ( )
  susanbooks | Jan 24, 2022 |
More than a cookbook, this is a book on how to cook through an understanding of 4 basic elements--salt, acid, fat and heat. Not only is it packed with useful information, it is well illustrated and written in a style that is approachable by the average home cook. I would recommend this book to anybody who wants to move beyond following recipes and to discover the joy of cooking from knowledge of why things do the things they do. This would be a perfect gift for a talented cook with a sense of adventure. ( )
  klaidlaw | Nov 17, 2021 |

Nosrat, Saminprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
MacNaughton, WendyIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Blind, SofiaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pollan, MichaelForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Anyone who likes to eat, can soon learn to cook well.
—Jane Grigson
For Alice Waters, who gave me the kitchen, and for Maman, who gave me the world

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,784,195 books! | Top bar: Always visible