This is How It Always Is by Laurie Frankel

This is How It Always Is

by Laurie Frankel

"This is how a family keeps a secret...and how that secret ends up keeping them. This is how a family lives happily ever after...until happily ever after becomes complicated. This is how children change...and then change the world. When Rosie and Penn and their four boys welcome the newest member of their family, no one is surprised it's another baby boy. At least their large, loving, chaotic family knows what to expect. But Claude is not like his brothers. One day he puts on a dress and refuses to take it off. He wants to bring a purse to kindergarten. He wants hair long enough to sit on. When he grows up, Claude says, he wants to be a girl. Rosie and Penn aren't panicked at first. Kids go through phases, after all, and make-believe is fun. But soon the entire family is keeping Claude's secret. Until one day it explodes. This Is How It Always Is is a novel about revelations, transformations, fairy tales, and family. And it's about the ways this is how it always is: Change is always hard and miraculous and hard again; parenting is always a leap into the unknown with crossed fingers and full hearts; children grow but not always according to plan. And families with secrets don't get to keep them forever"--… (more)
Recently added bypltgsage, rena75, private library, kristibird, doyoudogear, ALoyacano, CariDeCoons, LindaFSHemp, luwho

This really is a well written book which really tugs on the heartstrings. You will laugh. You will cry. But all in all you will enjoy a very good book which the author has obviously researched well. This is a story which will stay with you for a very long time.

A story of modern issues and how they are dealt with in family life. This is a book I shall never forget
Thank you so much to the publishers and netgalley for the arc of this truly wonderful book xx ( )
  TheReadingShed | Aug 25, 2019 |
A book club friend said he loved the first 60% of the book and I agree. Once mom and Poppy went to Thailand it was a gallop to the convenient finish. The bully asking the trans girl to dance at a middle school dance was too much for our suspended disbelief. Still, there was some lovely writing and turns of phrase, a sensitive topic was handled, well, sensitively, and it engendered good discussion for a book club. ( )
  quirkylibrarian | Jul 29, 2019 |
Maybe the story could have been a little more believable,but I’m really glad to see this covered in a book. ( )
  jill1121 | Jun 1, 2019 |
Really enjoyed this one and I can see why Reece chose it for her bookclub. It really got me thinking about being accepting of others and their choices. ( )
  DKnight0918 | May 5, 2019 |
Absolutely wonderful! ( )
  kemilyh1988 | Apr 12, 2019 |
Is it always "or"?
Is it never "and"?
---STEPHEN SONDHEIM, INTO THE WOODS
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
---WALT WHITMAN, "SONG OF MYSELF"
For D.R.M.H.M.F. my someone
But first, Roo was born.
There's a fork in the road.  It seems like there are only two choices.  It seems like the task is to figure out which way to go, left or right, forward or back, deeper or safer, but in fact any if those choices is easy compared to the real trick.  The real trick is you have to forge your own way straight ahead through the trees where there is no path.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,851,000 books! | Top bar: Always visible