Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine (2017)

by Gail Honeyman

Meet Eleanor Oliphant: She struggles with appropriate social skills and tends to say exactly what she's thinking. Nothing is missing in her carefully timetabled life of avoiding social interactions, where weekends are punctuated by frozen pizza, vodka, and phone chats with Mummy. But everything changes when Eleanor meets Raymond, the bumbling and deeply unhygienic IT guy from her office. When she and Raymond together save Sammy, an elderly gentleman who has fallen on the sidewalk, the three become the kinds of friends who rescue one another from the lives of isolation they have each been living. And it is Raymond's big heart that will ultimately help Eleanor find the way to repair her own profoundly damaged one.… (more)
    A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: Both novels deal with serious issues with a light, humorous touch, which does not detract from the painfulness of the characters' situation.
    The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry by Rachel Joyce (PilgrimJess)
    PilgrimJess: Harold Fry is married but still lonely so one day sets off to visit an old flame. Along the way he is offered simple acts of kindness.
    Everyone in This Room Will Someday Be Dead by Emily Austin (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: awkward young women navigating the world.
    The Missing Treasures of Amy Ashton by Eleanor Ray (Micheller7)
    Mirror, Shoulder, Signal by Dorthe Nors (wandering_star)
    Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day by Winifred Watson (PilgrimJess)
    PilgrimJess: Like Eleanor Miss Pettigrew has view social skills or friends but one day a new world opens up for her.
    Normal People by Sally Rooney (dawnlovesbooks)
    dawnlovesbooks: both have witty and eccentric characters
    The Misremembered Man by Christina Mckenna (aliklein)
    The Seven Imperfect Rules of Elvira Carr by Frances Maynard (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Cactus by Sarah Haywood (olegalCA)
    olegalCA: Both are quirky characters who find out they have more relationships in their lives than they thought they did
    Goodbye, Vitamin by Rachel Khong (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: Similar in tone, in heart and in compassion for the characters.
    The Puppet Show by M. W. Craven (KayCliff)

English (419)  Italian (3)  Dutch (2)  German (2)  Latvian (1)  Arabic (1)  French (1)  Catalan (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (431)
Fantastic read! I am so glad I got this as an audio book because the narrator was fantastic and really nailed the characters voices. I loved the Scottish accent. Definitely a character driven story line and my opinion of the main character was constantly changing. The pacing was absolutely perfect and by the end I couldn't stop listening because I was ravenous for the conclusion. At no point was I bored, at no point do I contemplate not reading all the way through. I would happily recommend this to anyone and eagerly look forward to more novels by this author. ( )
  awesomejen2 | Jun 21, 2022 |
Excellent character study ( )
  NicholeReadsWithCats | Jun 17, 2022 |
I didn't like the book as much at the beginning, but I really enjoyed the last third of the book that changed my opinion. At the beginning, you are peering into the life of Eleanor, eccentric, recluse, socially awkward and she seems to drifting through life without purpose or emotion. Then, the encounter with Raymond and the friendship between Raymond and Eleanor led us look into a deeply traumatized survivor trying to cocoon herself against all potential harm and get on with life. It let me to think that there maybe difficult background to difficult person that we need to take an empathy approach. ( )
  Baochuan | Jun 13, 2022 |
What a terrific book! It is a reason that I join in F2F book club reads, as it is modern fiction, well-written, and leads to so many interesting discussions. The premise is that of young-ish Eleanor Oliphant who has a very measured and predictable life; her habits are almost obsessive-compulsive. Almost. The bottles of vodka every weekend point to a different sort of compulsion.

Add to Eleanor's life an IT geek from her office who smokes and wears athletic shores instead of a tie, an elderly man who falls near them, mutual families who are welcoming or abusive, and you have a story that operates on a number of different levels. I started it one night and finished it a couple of nights later in time for book club night. ( )
  threadnsong | Jun 5, 2022 |
(Audiobook) Emotionally obvious and cartoony, but not without enjoyable moments. I generally like budding friendship stories, and the pace with which this one comes to fruition is very natural and well-done. Eleanor's tragic backstory and the kind of abuse she's experienced struck me as a bit over-the-top unfortunately. Given the sensitivity of the topic and the slice-of-life natural style the book's going for, the approach to her trauma needed to walk a very fine line and I don't think it succeeded. So much of her Drax-like lack of social awareness is played for laughs, since it stretches belief at times how obtuse she can be for someone who seems as perceptive as she is, but I suppose at the same time you could say this is all perfectly explained behavior. But that level of comedy didn't mix well with the darker trauma element of the story for me. Some lingering positives: I liked that the main friendship remained platonic (though Raymond wasn't given much to do beyond sort of have a girlfriend to remind the reader that he's "taken"), and some of Eleanor's unintentional jokes about social practices were amusing. The friendship makes up one half of the book, and her relationship to her mother makes up the other. And while I enjoyed the friendship half, the lack of conflict or genuine life to the relationship beyond superficial niceties made the relationship feel pretty lacking. This became doubly grating with Gail Honeyman's Scottish narration, which is mostly good, but after a while I found her tone and performance too repetitive for the more emotionally charged scenes. A fine read, but not wholly rewarding on both storylines. ( )
  bobbybslax | Jun 2, 2022 |
The human need for connection, initially scorned by Eleanor, is this heart-rending novel’s central theme. Eleanor Oliphant is most definitely not completely fine, but she is one of the most unusual and thought-provoking heroines of recent contemporary fiction.

From pop-star crushes to meals for one, the life of an outsider is vividly captured in this joyful debut, discovered through a writing competition and sold for huge sums worldwide...And what a joy it is. The central character of Eleanor feels instantly and insistently real...This is a narrative full of quiet warmth and deep and unspoken sadness. It makes you want to throw a party and invite everyone you know and give them a hug, even that person at work everyone thinks is a bit weird.
added by SimoneA | editThe Guardian, Jenny Colgan (May 4, 2017)

Honeyman, Gailprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Aguilar, Julia OsunaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Audio, LübbeVerlagsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Audio, PenguinPublishersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Azoulay-Pacvon, AlineTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Beretta, StefanoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Giorgio, ElisaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Karhulahti, SariKääNtäJä.secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Limited, HarperCollins PublishersPublishersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mörk, Ylvasecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Maire, LauraErzählersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McCarron, CathleenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Montijn, HienTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
SalaniPublishersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my family
When people ask me what I do - taxi drivers, hairdressers - I tell them I work in an office.
Sport is a mystery to me. In primary school, sports day was the one day of the year when the less academically gifted students could triumph, winning prizes for jumping fastest in a sack, or running from point A to point B more quickly than their classmates. How they loved to wear those badges on their blazers the next day, as if a silver in the egg and spoon race was some sort of compensation for not understanding how to use an apostrophe.
I have always enjoyed reading, but I've never been sure how to select appropriate material. There are so many books in the world—how do you tell them all apart? How do you know which one will match your tastes and interests? That's why I just pick the first book I see. There's no point trying to choose. The covers are of very little help, because they always say only good things, and I've found out to my cost that they're rarely accurate. "Exhilarating" "Dazzling" "Hilarious." No.
She was shiny too, her skin, her hair, her shoes, her teeth. I hadn't even realized before; I am matte, dull, scuffed.

You laugh and you cry
as Eleanor learns how to
start living her life.
(passion4reading)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,606,109 books! | Top bar: Always visible