Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine: A Novel…

Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine: A Novel (original 2017; edition 2018)

by Gail Honeyman (Author)

Member:SStehlik
Title:Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine: A Novel
Authors:Gail Honeyman (Author)
Info:Penguin Books (2018), Edition: Reprint, 352 pages
Collections:Sarah's Books
Tags:fiction, hardcopy, 2019

Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine: A Novel by Gail Honeyman (2017)

A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: Both novels deal with serious issues with a light, humorous touch, which does not detract from the painfulness of the characters' situation.
    Goodbye, Vitamin: A Novel by Rachel Khong (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: Similar in tone, in heart and in compassion for the characters.
    The Cactus by Sarah Haywood (olegalCA)
    olegalCA: Both are quirky characters who find out they have more relationships in their lives than they thought they did
    The Misremembered Man by Christina Mckenna (aliklein)
    The Seven Rules of Elvira Carr: A Novel by Frances Maynard (BookshelfMonstrosity)

English (221)  Italian (1)  German (1)  Latvian (1)  All languages (224)
When i first began this novel, I struggled to engage, anticipating another 'Bridget Jones' type of book. However, i seldom give up on books so persevere I did and I was rewarded. I thoroughly enjoyed the gradual revelations about Eleanor Oliphant's life and consequential quirky behaviour. The message from this book is - not to stand in judgement of others until you have walked in their shoes and understand their life experiences. ( )
  HelenBaker | Jun 15, 2019 |
One of my favorites! Loved Eleanor's quirky personality and viewing the world through her eyes. ( )
  KoestK | Jun 7, 2019 |
I not sure how to rate this book, as the ending dismantled the entire point of the book and was handed poorly in my opinion. The details given about Eleanor's past were rushed through too quickly and roughly handled overall. A sensitive and emotional subject like that should be dealt with in a more thorough manner, especially when considering how many pages were filled with mundane occurrences, described in minute detail throughout the rest of the book. A fact which almost made me give up the book entirely around the half way point. The therapist was lauded as great and wonderful, but I personally found her annoying and inadequate at her profession. I don't think those pat answers would really help Eleanor, given the severity of her situation. Also, as other reviewers have noted, Eleanor's propriety in speech and habit would not have been realistic given the twist at the end. A 10 yr old is unlikely to retain, or even learn those habits to the extent Eleanor did. She only spent 10 years with her mom, and then another 20 without her. If her mom had in fact survived, and Eleanor spoke to her weekly, then it would have made more sense. The biggest issue for me is that Eleanor has been speaking to her dead mother for 20 years. I think that would definitely mean that Eleanor is NOT fine, and ending the book as if she is improving by leaps and bounds everyday, when really she is crazier than we previously thought, left the book on a low note for me. I did find quite a bit of the book charming, but the direction the book took in the end lowered my rating by a couple of stars. ( )
  Linda_Holcomb | Jun 6, 2019 |
I loved this book. Eleanor’s frankness had so much humor to me, and it made me think of how we talk and act in daily life and how much of it is unnecessary. I do understand much of it was supposed to be sad, but it really hit me in the right way and I enjoyed it so much. Already feeling nostalgic for it, so it will probably be one I re-read every few years. ( )
  howifeelaboutbooks | Jun 4, 2019 |
I enjoyed this book a lot - I found Eleanor to be a quirky but likeable character. I went into reading this book without knowing what it was about needing a break from my usual genre of psychological thrillers and I was pleasantly surprised. The way this book is written you genuinely seem to have concern for and are rooting for Eleanor. I'm not usually big on sequels but i think i would enjoy another book about Eleanor! ( )
  debbiebellows | Jun 1, 2019 |
From pop-star crushes to meals for one, the life of an outsider is vividly captured in this joyful debut, discovered through a writing competition and sold for huge sums worldwide...And what a joy it is. The central character of Eleanor feels instantly and insistently real...This is a narrative full of quiet warmth and deep and unspoken sadness. It makes you want to throw a party and invite everyone you know and give them a hug, even that person at work everyone thinks is a bit weird.

Gail Honeymanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Beretta, S.Traduttoresecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Beretta, StefanoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Giorgio, ElisaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Karhulahti, SariKääNtäJä.secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Limited, HarperCollins PublishersPublishersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mörk, Ylvasecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Maire, LauraErzählersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Montijn, HienTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
SalaniPublishersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my family
When people ask me what I do - taxi drivers, hairdressers - I tell them I work in an office.
Sport is a mystery to me. In primary school, sports day was the one day of the year when the less academically gifted students could triumph, winning prizes for jumping fastest in a sack, or running from point A to point B more quickly than their classmates. How they loved to wear those badges on their blazers the next day, as if a silver in the egg and spoon race was some sort of compensation for not understanding how to use an apostrophe.
I have always enjoyed reading, but I've never been sure how to select appropriate material. There are so many books in the world—how do you tell them all apart? How do you know which one will match your tastes and interests? That's why I just pick the first book I see. There's no point trying to choose. The covers are of very little help, because they always say only good things, and I've found out to my cost that they're rarely accurate. "Exhilarating" "Dazzling" "Hilarious." No.
She was shiny too, her skin, her hair, her shoes, her teeth. I hadn't even realized before; I am matte, dull, scuffed.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0735220689, Hardcover)

"Eleanor Oliphant is a truly original literary creation: funny, touching, and unpredictable. Her journey out of dark shadows is absolutely gripping." --Jojo Moyes, #1 New York Times bestselling author of Me Before You

"Deft, compassionate and deeply moving--Honeyman's debut will have you rooting for Eleanor with every turning page." --Paula McClain, New York Times bestselling author of The Paris Wife and Circling the Sun

No one’s ever told Eleanor that life should be better than fine.

Meet Eleanor Oliphant: She struggles with appropriate social skills and tends to say exactly what she’s thinking. Nothing is missing in her carefully timetabled life of avoiding social interactions, where weekends are punctuated by frozen pizza, vodka, and phone chats with Mummy.

But everything changes when Eleanor meets Raymond, the bumbling and deeply unhygienic IT guy from her office. When she and Raymond together save Sammy, an elderly gentleman who has fallen on the sidewalk, the three become the kinds of friends who rescue one another from the lives of isolation they have each been living. And it is Raymond’s big heart that will ultimately help Eleanor find the way to repair her own profoundly damaged one.

Smart, warm, uplifting, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine is the story of an out-of-the-ordinary heroine whose deadpan weirdness and unconscious wit make for an irresistible journey as she realizes. . .

The only way to survive is to open your heart.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 26 Jan 2017 14:40:02 -0500)

"Smart, warm, uplifting, the story of an out-of-the-ordinary heroine whose deadpan weirdness and unconscious wit make for an irresistible journey as she realizes the only way to survive is to open her heart. Meet Eleanor Oliphant: she struggles with appropriate social skills and tends to say exactly what she's thinking. That, combined with her unusual appearance (scarred cheek, tendency to wear the same clothes year in, year out), means that Eleanor has become a creature of habit (to say the least) and a bit of a loner. Nothing is missing in her carefully timetabled life of avoiding social interactions, where weekends are punctuated by frozen pizza, vodka, and phone chats with Mummy. But everything changes when Eleanor meets Raymond, the bumbling and deeply unhygienic IT guy from her office. When she and Raymond together save Sammy, an elderly gentleman who has fallen on the sidewalk, the three become the kind of friends who rescue each other from the lives of isolation they have each been living. And it is Raymond's big heart that will ultimately help Eleanor find the way to repair her own profoundly damaged one"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,493,857 books! | Top bar: Always visible