Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine: A Novel…

Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine: A Novel (original 2017; edition 2017)

by Gail Honeyman (Author)

Meet Eleanor Oliphant: She struggles with appropriate social skills and tends to say exactly what she's thinking. Nothing is missing in her carefully timetabled life of avoiding social interactions, where weekends are punctuated by frozen pizza, vodka, and phone chats with Mummy. But everything changes when Eleanor meets Raymond, the bumbling and deeply unhygienic IT guy from her office. When she and Raymond together save Sammy, an elderly gentleman who has fallen on the sidewalk, the three become the kinds of friends who rescue one another from the lives of isolation they have each been living. And it is Raymond's big heart that will ultimately help Eleanor find the way to repair her own profoundly damaged one.… (more)
Member:sonyagreen
Title:Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine: A Novel
Authors:Gail Honeyman (Author)
Info:Penguin Audio (2017)
Collections:Kindle, Read

Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman (2017)

A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: Both novels deal with serious issues with a light, humorous touch, which does not detract from the painfulness of the characters' situation.
    The Cactus by Sarah Haywood (olegalCA)
    olegalCA: Both are quirky characters who find out they have more relationships in their lives than they thought they did
    The Seven Rules of Elvira Carr: A Novel by Frances Maynard (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Misremembered Man by Christina Mckenna (aliklein)
    Goodbye, Vitamin: A Novel by Rachel Khong (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: Similar in tone, in heart and in compassion for the characters.
    The Puppet Show by M. W. Craven (KayCliff)

English (259)  Italian (3)  Dutch (2)  Latvian (1)  German (1)  All languages (266)
This character-driven story is... interesting. The character starts off as a frigid, judgmental woman that finds herself on a mission and develops rapidly from there.

The root of this story is good. The journey is good. The characterization is fine. There are certainly moments where you feel as awful as the character and empathize with her failures to grow into a fully functioning adult...

On the one hand, I'm glad Eleanor Oliphant found a friend and was able to come out of her shell and develop as a person, on the other hand I wish that she hadn't changed as it can be difficult for people to change who they are. At the same time Eleanor isn't a completely different person at the end so it's also difficult for me to dislike the transformation that occurs. Maybe it's just how the ball gets rolling for her that makes me dislike certain aspects of her character. And I had a good idea a little before the midway point what the revelation about her mother would be. Overall, the book is at least interesting and keeps your attention so it gets points for that. Her history and character are great and because the reader is stuck inside her head it's difficult to figure out the other players in her life... (Not unlike real life.)

Overall: worth a read. ( )
  thecolorblack | Jan 21, 2020 |
I have a confession to make. I LOVED this book so much that after I finished it, I immediately started listening to it all over again. I listened to it on audio, and I know that added to my Love of the book. The narrator is excellent and brings so much to the book, perfect intonations and accents.

Eleanor is quirky, original, funny without meaning to be, and honestly bemused by most social situations and interactions. If you liked A Man Called Ove or the Rosie Project you will like this too.

Best book I've read this year.

tshrope | Jan 13, 2020 |
A really slow start due to the stilted language of the protagonist, the story picked up its pace and was hard to put down near the end. Many lol moments toward the end, and the reveal was fine, if not particularly deft. Fully enjoyable read. ( )
  KymmAC | Dec 31, 2019 |
An easy five star read for me, warm, funny, sad and happy all at the same time
I do wonder if there could be a sequel ( )
  karenshann | Dec 31, 2019 |
Enjoyed this a great deal as an ear read. ( )
  bookczuk | Dec 27, 2019 |
The human need for connection, initially scorned by Eleanor, is this heart-rending novel’s central theme. Eleanor Oliphant is most definitely not completely fine, but she is one of the most unusual and thought-provoking heroines of recent contemporary fiction.

From pop-star crushes to meals for one, the life of an outsider is vividly captured in this joyful debut, discovered through a writing competition and sold for huge sums worldwide...And what a joy it is. The central character of Eleanor feels instantly and insistently real...This is a narrative full of quiet warmth and deep and unspoken sadness. It makes you want to throw a party and invite everyone you know and give them a hug, even that person at work everyone thinks is a bit weird.
added by SimoneA | editThe Guardian, Jenny Colgan (May 4, 2017)

Gail Honeymanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Beretta, S.Traduttoresecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Beretta, StefanoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Giorgio, ElisaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Karhulahti, SariKääNtäJä.secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Limited, HarperCollins PublishersPublishersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mörk, Ylvasecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Maire, LauraErzählersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Montijn, HienTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
SalaniPublishersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my family
When people ask me what I do - taxi drivers, hairdressers - I tell them I work in an office.
Sport is a mystery to me. In primary school, sports day was the one day of the year when the less academically gifted students could triumph, winning prizes for jumping fastest in a sack, or running from point A to point B more quickly than their classmates. How they loved to wear those badges on their blazers the next day, as if a silver in the egg and spoon race was some sort of compensation for not understanding how to use an apostrophe.
I have always enjoyed reading, but I've never been sure how to select appropriate material. There are so many books in the world—how do you tell them all apart? How do you know which one will match your tastes and interests? That's why I just pick the first book I see. There's no point trying to choose. The covers are of very little help, because they always say only good things, and I've found out to my cost that they're rarely accurate. "Exhilarating" "Dazzling" "Hilarious." No.
She was shiny too, her skin, her hair, her shoes, her teeth. I hadn't even realized before; I am matte, dull, scuffed.

You laugh and you cry
as Eleanor learns how to
start living her life.
(passion4reading)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,692,902 books! | Top bar: Always visible