Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail…

Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine (original 2017; edition 2018)

by Gail Honeyman (Author)

Meet Eleanor Oliphant: She struggles with appropriate social skills and tends to say exactly what she's thinking. Nothing is missing in her carefully timetabled life of avoiding social interactions, where weekends are punctuated by frozen pizza, vodka, and phone chats with Mummy. But everything changes when Eleanor meets Raymond, the bumbling and deeply unhygienic IT guy from her office. When she and Raymond together save Sammy, an elderly gentleman who has fallen on the sidewalk, the three become the kinds of friends who rescue one another from the lives of isolation they have each been living. And it is Raymond's big heart that will ultimately help Eleanor find the way to repair her own profoundly damaged one.… (more)
Member:MellDK
Title:Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
Authors:Gail Honeyman (Author)
Info:Penguin (2018), 352 pages

Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman (2017)

Recently added byRennie80, Islandmum84, maripax, Darth-Heather, JessicaF217, private library
    A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: Both novels deal with serious issues with a light, humorous touch, which does not detract from the painfulness of the characters' situation.
    The Unlikely Pilgrimage Of Harold Fry by Rachel Joyce (PilgrimJess)
    PilgrimJess: Harold Fry is married but still lonely so one day sets off to visit an old flame. Along the way he is offered simple acts of kindness.
    Mirror, Shoulder, Signal by Dorthe Nors (wandering_star)
    Everyone in This Room Will Someday Be Dead by Emily Austin (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: awkward young women navigating the world.
    Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day by Winifred Watson (PilgrimJess)
    PilgrimJess: Like Eleanor Miss Pettigrew has view social skills or friends but one day a new world opens up for her.
    The Cactus by Sarah Haywood (olegalCA)
    olegalCA: Both are quirky characters who find out they have more relationships in their lives than they thought they did
    Goodbye, Vitamin by Rachel Khong (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: Similar in tone, in heart and in compassion for the characters.
    The Misremembered Man by Christina Mckenna (aliklein)
    The Seven Imperfect Rules of Elvira Carr by Frances Maynard (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Puppet Show by M. W. Craven (KayCliff)

English (379)  Italian (3)  German (2)  Dutch (2)  Latvian (1)  Norwegian (1)  Arabic (1)  All languages (389)
Una mala malísima que le destrozó la vida a una víctima supervíctima y un bueno buenísimo que la ayuda a salir adelante. Pero está tan mal contado que la mala no asusta, la víctima no despierta ni pizca de empatía y el bueno no impresiona.
Lo peor de todo, esos intentos por ser graciosa, y los diálogos, impostados, planos, sosos.
La única que tiene mérito aquí soy yo por haberme empeñado en terminarla. ( )
  maripax | Jul 27, 2021 |
Eleanor is a bit weird, seems to lack "normal" social skills and communicates a bit differently than what You and I are used to. There's a reason for this, though. And we learn about that reason as the story continues.
She works as an accountant and lives a very regulated life, speaks in a very formal, almost "stiff" way, has no friends and only eats pizza or pasta and on weekends she drinks lots of vodka. But then she meets a person and suddenly, things start to change for her.
I have to say that I liked Eleanor from the start. In some ways I could even relate to her. I had to agree with some of her questions about life and so called normal human behavior. She's a highly unusual protagonist and a bit of an anti-hero. But I immediately felt for her and wanted to find out what had happened in her childhood, what's up with her "Mommy" and how her newfound friendship with Raymond develops, which might help her to get out of her dark hole.
I liked the book, liked how it was written. Throughout the entire book we are completely in Eleanor's mind. We see everything from her point of view, we learn basically every thought she thinks.
Which is in the end also one of the reasons, why I have to take away one star. Because sometimes I thought it was a bit much. Too many "thoughts", and not enough that was happening. Unfortunately the story dragged at times while the end came all too quickly. I thought the focus was sometimes too much and too long on things that could have been shortened while the part of what happened to her was dealt with too quickly in the end.
But still I enjoyed the book for the most time. I could relate to the characters, thought there was also some good humor in it. And some very valid questions from Eleanor's sometimes naive point of of view, but I couldn't help but agree with her.
I'm referring to the German edition audio book. The narrator was EXCELLENT. She not only narrated this book, for me she WAS Eleanor 100%. ( )
  Heidi64 | Jul 18, 2021 |
Like the title says, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine. She is a very rigid woman who had a horrible childhood that led her to grow up in foster care and craving a proper man that would impress her mum and she think she has found that in a local musician. As a 30 year old woman she is making new friendships for the first time and realizing what she wants in life, but has to confront the past. A lot going on but it all blends well and tells a great story. ( )
  wellreadcatlady | Jul 16, 2021 |
I liked a lot of things about this book and overall I "really liked it" which is what they translate a 4 star rating as signifying. I loved the quirkiness of our narrator and greatly enjoyed the arc of her development across the book. I thought that most of the information was revealed in interesting and non-intrusive ways, in other words none of the dreaded "info dumps" that often slow down the narrative flow for me. And, without disclosing any details, I did like the ending (mostly) and felt that my time spent reading the book was time well spent. There were a few things that didn't resonate as positively for me, but I don't want to delve too deeply into them because they are very much plot related and you know how I fell about plot spoilers. My somewhat opaque version will be that I definitely saw some of the plot details coming a mile away which made the "surprising" reveals a bit less surprising. There as also a bit of scolding and a bad case of telling instead of showing in the final part of the book. Please do not lecture me in a pedantic manner in the guise of literature. Overall though this was a fantastic and unique book. A rare and enjoyable combination. ( )
  MarkMad | Jul 14, 2021 |
This is really 4.5 Stars (Good Reads perhaps you can add a mechanism for 1/2 stars??). What a great story. I will say it was more sad than happy but the ending was quite hopeful. I don't talk about the story in my reviews because I don't want to ruin anything or provide spoilers. If you like books about unusual characters - and this is a great character driven book with an uplifting message in the end, this is for you. ( )
  scoene | Jul 13, 2021 |
The human need for connection, initially scorned by Eleanor, is this heart-rending novel’s central theme. Eleanor Oliphant is most definitely not completely fine, but she is one of the most unusual and thought-provoking heroines of recent contemporary fiction.

From pop-star crushes to meals for one, the life of an outsider is vividly captured in this joyful debut, discovered through a writing competition and sold for huge sums worldwide...And what a joy it is. The central character of Eleanor feels instantly and insistently real...This is a narrative full of quiet warmth and deep and unspoken sadness. It makes you want to throw a party and invite everyone you know and give them a hug, even that person at work everyone thinks is a bit weird.
added by SimoneA | editThe Guardian, Jenny Colgan (May 4, 2017)

Gail Honeymanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Aguilar, Julia OsunaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Audio, LübbeVerlagsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Audio, PenguinPublishersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Azoulay-Pacvon, AlineTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Beretta, StefanoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Giorgio, ElisaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Karhulahti, SariKääNtäJä.secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Limited, HarperCollins PublishersPublishersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mörk, Ylvasecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Maire, LauraErzählersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McCarron, CathleenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Montijn, HienTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
SalaniPublishersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my family
When people ask me what I do - taxi drivers, hairdressers - I tell them I work in an office.
Sport is a mystery to me. In primary school, sports day was the one day of the year when the less academically gifted students could triumph, winning prizes for jumping fastest in a sack, or running from point A to point B more quickly than their classmates. How they loved to wear those badges on their blazers the next day, as if a silver in the egg and spoon race was some sort of compensation for not understanding how to use an apostrophe.
I have always enjoyed reading, but I've never been sure how to select appropriate material. There are so many books in the world—how do you tell them all apart? How do you know which one will match your tastes and interests? That's why I just pick the first book I see. There's no point trying to choose. The covers are of very little help, because they always say only good things, and I've found out to my cost that they're rarely accurate. "Exhilarating" "Dazzling" "Hilarious." No.
She was shiny too, her skin, her hair, her shoes, her teeth. I hadn't even realized before; I am matte, dull, scuffed.

You laugh and you cry
as Eleanor learns how to
start living her life.
(passion4reading)

GenreThing

No genres

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,419,422 books! | Top bar: Always visible