The Someday Birds by Sally J. Pla

The Someday Birds (edition 2017)

by Sally J. Pla (Author), Julie McLaughlin (Illustrator)

Charlie, twelve, who has autism and obsessive compulsive disorder, must endure a cross-country trip with his siblings and a strange babysitter to visit their father, who will undergo brain surgery.
Member:mandyyates
Title:The Someday Birds
Authors:Sally J. Pla (Author)
Other authors:Julie McLaughlin (Illustrator)
Info:HarperCollins (2017), 336 pages

Work Information

The Someday Birds by Sally J. Pla

#ownvoices for autism. ( )
  mslibrarynerd | Jan 13, 2024 |
I listened to the audiobook of [b:The Goldfish Boy|26891408|The Goldfish Boy|Lisa Thompson|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1469730951s/26891408.jpg|46942352] at the same time I was reading this. I prefer Goldfish Boy by a lot. So it's hard for me to say how I'd feel about Someday Birds if Goldfish Boy wasn't so similar and, in my opinion, superior. Both books are about 12-year-old boys who wash their hands compulsively. And both of the boys are kind of desperate to meet a goal (to find a missing boy / to find a bunch of birds). Both books have first-person narration. They are both thematically about the boy being brave in the face of tremendous (though irrational) fear.

Some stray criticisms:
- I thought Charlie finding Tiberius Shaw's personal journal was a bit too magical for an otherwise realistic book.

-Ludmila's story felt a bit shoehorned in - as if the author really wanted her readers to know about Sarajevo, rather than it serving the story.

Some stray appreciations:
-Charlie is a likable character and his love of chicken nuggets is endearing. Readers will root for him.

-I always love a sweet dog sidekick.

-The Tiberius Shaw quotes at the beginning of each chapter were beautifully written and relevant to the action. ( )
  LibrarianDest | Jan 3, 2024 |
Poignant, informative, moving. The language is engaging and flows ( )
  schoenbc70 | Sep 2, 2023 |
Thoughtful, bittersweet, humorous, full of nature's beauty and humanity. I love Charlie's neurodiverse voice and his annoying, quirky, loving family, both biological and found. ( )
  bookwren | Jan 27, 2023 |
Heartwarming, poignant coming-of-age story of a 12 year old boy named Charlie, who is autistic and has OCD. Bird-loving Charlie, along with his siblings and their babysitter, road trip across the country to visit his hospitalized dad. This appealing story includes themes such as adventure, family, acceptance, and personal growth. Excellent characterization.
  kristinjbriley | Jul 18, 2019 |
For my family.
My hands aren't really clean until I've washed them twelve times, one for each year of my life.
Each time a birder spots and identifies a bird, a small connection is made between the two of them. A new relationship is kindled - not just with the bird, but with the whole natural world. -Tiberius Shaw, PhD (p. 89)
Dark times, meaning bad times. And here, we've been out in this beautiful cold blackness, here on top of the mountain, and it's been a "good" dark time. (p. 105)
Someday Birds List:

Bald Eagle
Great Horned Owl (CHECK!)

Trumpeter Swan

Sandhill Crane

Turkey Vulture

Emu

Passenger Pigeon

Carolina Parakeet (p. 107)
I just noticed one thing about this vehicle, at least, that's sort of neat. Someboy custom-painted the ceiling. It's all dark blue, with silver constellations. I look for Libra, the scales - that's my sign. Joan showed it to me in the sky last night. I find it over Ludmila's head... (p. 110)
I pick a maple leaf and twirl it around in my fingers while... Millions of these leaves all around, so many you don't even really think of them as leaves, until you pick one single leaf, and it comes into focus. It's got veins running through it, and it's soft, with a dark green summer color, and it's got this amazing symmetrical beauty. and then, you think: wow.

I crouch down and spread the leaf over my knee, feeling its rough backside. I don't want to think about anything right now except this leaf. Can't I just stay here and be a hermit, and live ina hut in the woods? A very hygienic hut. (p. 136)

Sally J. Pla is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 208,458,008 books! | Top bar: Always visible