The Angel Experiment: A Maximum Ride Novel…

The Angel Experiment: A Maximum Ride Novel (Book 1) (edition 2007)

by James Patterson (Author)

Series: Maximum Ride (1)

After the mutant Erasers abduct the youngest member of their group, the "bird kids," who are the result of genetic experimentation, take off in pursuit and find themselves struggling to understand their own origins and purpose.
Member:RawhideYouth
Title:The Angel Experiment: A Maximum Ride Novel (Book 1)
Authors:James Patterson (Author)
Info:Jimmy Patterson (2007), 464 pages
Collections:Wishlist

Work Information

The Angel Experiment by James Patterson

Lending

Checked out 2021-10-14 — Due 2021-10-28 — Overdue

English (234)  Italian (1)  All languages (235)
2.5 stars. It reminded me of the I.Q. series in that it is full of action, to the point where it’s hard to keep track of the passage of time.

This series seems to be geared toward a slightly older audience than I.Q., they stick in a few cuss words, some rough language, lots of fighting,and one person who gets killed (in self defense).

There are some believable parts to how the kids respond, it’s sad that a 14yr old girl sees herself the way she does, and I understand there will be lots of loose ends as it’s the beginning of a long series, but there is also a fair amount of absurdity. For example, these are apparently kids with super high metabolisms because of their modifications, yet they don’t seem to feel it besides complaining of hunger occasionally and ordering obscene amounts of food (about which we apparently need great detail…why?) whether they are fed or not they still have all the energy and ability of a video game character at full power.

It really bothers me when authors aim at such a specific audience and lean so heavily on one aspect of a story to the detriment of the story as a whole. This is definitely super action and emotion heavy, and the result is that it obscures parts of the story that might actually be worth telling. ( )
  Annrosenzweig | Oct 15, 2021 |
My daughter's favorite book so I had to read it! I understand why the character Max is appealing to her--they both are tough cookies. And this would be my cup of tea if I were her age also. Patterson could use a thesaurus--time to come up with a few more words to describe attractive characters as I'm not sure "modely" is a word. ( )
  auldhouse | Sep 30, 2021 |
In general I do not enjoy James Patterson novels as I find them predictable and formulaic but for some reason I quite enjoy the Maximum Ride series. I found the characters to be interesting and I found the story to be fascinating. I liked how it was fantastical but also believable enough that it felt like the vents could maybe actually happen. The writing style is very readable if a bit simplistic. ( )
  KateKat11 | Sep 24, 2021 |
Review from 2012

For the first couple of chapters I thought the main character was a boy, but it was a girl. Also the writing felt clunky. After that it just got better and better, leaving me unable to put it down. A book that compells me to read the sequels. ( )
  crimsonraider | Apr 1, 2021 |
If I read this again, I don't know how I'd feel. This book/series was a big part of my early to mid teens, and it's kind of my 'Harry Potter', since I didn't get big into that. I still love the concept and the fond memories of it that tie into my best friend and my discovery of fanfiction will always be there. Reading it again might break that, so I don't know if I ever will. ( )
  ashelocke | Feb 17, 2021 |
3.5 out of 5 stars! I really wasn't sure what to expect at first with this book. But once I got started I couldn't stop! Kind of written with the same type of thing as the Darkest Powers Series, but with quite a few unusual twists! I'll be interested what the next book in the series, "School's Out-Forever", entails.

Patterson occasionally forgets his audience here, as evidenced by his sardonic tone and such glib adult asides as "they found their prey: moi," but he's picked a comfortable formula (orphans protecting one another and making a home together), which he's cushioned with an abundance of slavering beasts, childhood heartaches, and unresolved issues...
added by khuggard | editBooklist

As with Patterson's adult mystery thrillers, in-depth characterization is secondary to the fast-moving plot.
added by khuggard | editSchool Library Journal

Suzie and Jack,
MaryEllen and Andrew,
Carole, Brigid, and Meredith

Fly, babies, fly!
The funny thing about facing imminent death is that it really snaps everything else into perspective. Take right now, for instance.

Hachette Book Group

4 editions of this book were published by Hachette Book Group.

Editions: 0446617792, 031615556X, 0316067954, 160024226X

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,390,574 books! | Top bar: Always visible