When Dimple Met Rishi by Sandhya Menon

When Dimple Met Rishi (edition 2018)

by Sandhya Menon (Author)

Series: Dimpleverse (1)

When Dimple Shah and Rishi Patel meet at a Stanford University summer program, Dimple is avoiding her parents' obsession with "marriage prospects" but Rishi hopes to woo her into accepting arranged marriage with him.
Member:lpowersEng1
Title:When Dimple Met Rishi
Authors:Sandhya Menon (Author)
Info:Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (2018), Edition: Reprint, 400 pages
Collections:CHS Books

Work Information

When Dimple Met Rishi by Sandhya Menon

2,75 stars

Cheesy, cute, corny, cliched. This wasn't bad , exactly. Unoriginal? Certainly. It had some funny moments and a lot of eyerolly moments. The best bits were the ones shedding light on Indian culture, as well as the family relationships. A romantic comedy for teenagers who've never read or seen one before. ( )
  tuusannuuska | Dec 1, 2022 |
Actual rating: 4.5 stars

Omg, I loved this book so much. I've been anticipating this book ever since when I first saw it, and I'm so happy that it met my expectations.

First of all, I really liked Dimple. She's such a fierce character and honestly so relatable, specifically about her cultural views. I loved how she wasn't afraid to stand up for what she believed in. On the other hand, there's Rishi and his very traditional views. Rishi is such a sweet and funny guy. I couldn't help but root for him throughout the novel. I thought both Dimple and Rishi had good character development as they both struggle to follow their own path.

I also loved how culturally infused this book was with the inclusion of Hindi and other aspects of Indian culture like their traditional outfits/makeup and Bhangra.

Overall, I highly recommend this book for those looking for a cute romance book! ( )
  bookishconfesh | Sep 22, 2022 |
I found When Dimple Met Rishi, by Sandhya Menon, to be a very engaging read. Dimple is an Indian-American recent high school graduate passionate about coding and Web development living in Fresno. She is not interested in domestic life and is very career-driven. So when she attends a coding conference in San Francisco, only to find that her parents have set her up to possibly marry an Indian-American guy, Rishi, she is less than thrilled. Rishi is a hopeless romantic who is totally on-board with the idea of this arrangement. I felt like the author developed the characters relatively well, although I would have liked to have learned more details about the more minor characters in the book, such as Rishi's younger brother and Dimple's roommate at the conference. Another thing some might appreciate about the book is that it isn't laden with sexual content. Just thought that might be worth mentioning, as some romances tend to use erotic scenes frequently.

I felt like the book was definitely suitable for audio narration, especially because it was dual narrated to show the points of view switching between Dimple and Rishi. I thought that Rishi's narrator, Vikas Adam, did an excellent job at portraying the characters' voices and made them all pretty distinct, especially those of Rishi and his younger brother; I never got confused as to which one was speaking. Dimple's narrator, Sneha Mathan, was also great, but her accent was pretty thick and sometimes I missed certain words or phrases because of that. She was also excellent at using distinct voices for each character. Many Indian phrases and words were used in the book, and both narrators spoke them well and with excellent accents.

I personally thought the narration was a bit slow for my taste, but the pace was at least consistent between narrators. I didn't hear any edits or technical issues in the recording, and the volume was consistent between narrators and character voices.

All in all, listening to this book was a very positive experience for me. I felt like some of the sappiness could have been shortened a bit (I mean, I get that this is a romance, but come on.), but the narrators did an excellent job with the romantic aspects, making the read enjoyable. Both narrators compliment the text well, especially because they both seemed to have an understanding of the Indian language when those parts came up. I can't stress enough how much I appreciated it being dual narrated, as the male and female voices portrayed Rishi's and Dimple's points of view so well that I feel it would have been significantly less enjoyable having only one or the other throughout the entire book. But yes, this book was great. Would highly recommend for any fans of YA or a good romance without tons of sex.

Title: When Dimple Met Rishi
Author: Sandhya Menon
Narrators: Vikas Adam and Sneha Mathan
Puslisher: Dreamscape Media, LLC., 2017 (Unabridged)
Length: 10 hours, 45 minutes ( )
  rochelle218 | Apr 7, 2022 |
This might have made for a decent movie, but it was not a very good book. Everything fresh about the Indian American culture and the unconventional aspects to the hero and heroine was overruled by the abysmal pacing, metric ton of rom-com cliches and contrived conflict, and utter lack of chemistry between said hero and heroine.

In a film, the actors might create their own chemistry, cliches and contrived conflict could be delivered tongue-in-cheek, and pacing challenges would provide the opportunity for a musical number or seven. Alas, I rolled my eyes at every romantic moment, dreaded the unnecessary and endlessly spawning POV shifts, and wished the book spent more time on Dimple's app and Rishi's drawing genius, which were as close as I could get to musical numbers. ( )
  slimikin | Mar 27, 2022 |
”You cannot learn in lipstick?”

My tbr pile is immense and full of amazing books I’m always trying to get to, and that’s a wonderful problem to have as every day it seems I discover wonderful gems like this one. The story of Dimple and Rishi is many things. A look at two teens pulled between their parents’ expectations and the vision they have for themselves. The tale of setting off for college and new beginnings. A lovely own voices work. What I especially love are all the moments that are universal, such as mothers insisting you must wear your makeup to class, fathers sneaking cookies, and the fluttery feelings of first liking someone. Dimple just wants to go to programming camp. Her parents want her to find an Indian husband. Ugh! Rishi dreams of drawing comics, but will go off to MIT in the fall as a dutiful son even though he’s not passionate about his major. He’s totally on board with the idea of an arranged marriage with Dimple. These two meet and sparks fly. So cute!

Please excuse typos/name misspellings. Entered on screen reader.
  KatKinney | Mar 3, 2022 |
for t, n, and m, whom kismet brought to me
Dimple couldn't stop smiling.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,288,706 books! | Top bar: Always visible