Nevernever (1993)

by Will Shetterly

Series: Wolfboy (book 2), Borderland (novel)

Seventeen-year-old Ron, now turned into a wolfboy by a spell, finds Bordertown filled with kidnapping, murder, and magic, as gangs of elves continue to search for the heir of Faerie.

Shetterly's writing style may not be my favourite among the plethora of Borderlands writers, but his characters (especially Ron aka Wolfboy) are an absolute delight. The previous novel in this duo logy, Elsewhere, stuck to the main themes of any story set within the uniqueness that is Bordertown, but he dives into a bit more of the politics from the fey court that have ramifications across the border in this sequel. We had been introduced to the young girl who is the heir to the faerie throne before, but it is not until the very final pages of this book that her whole story is revealed and the myriad of intertwining plot lines come together. I shant reveal more, but that it is definitely worth the ride! ( )
  JaimieRiella | Feb 25, 2021 |
I read this book before reading Elsewhere. NeverNever read as if it really were being told by a 17 year old. I found it hard to follow the dialogue at times, but the characters were real and endearing. Very surprise twist at the end. Wonderfully told. ( )
  aprilrose09 | Aug 4, 2011 |
Ron is Wolfboy now, trying to get by in Bordertown while covered in fur and without the ability to speak. This is the sequel to Elsewhere, and is definitely the superior of the two. The story is much more cohesive and feels less dependent on the source material (that is, Terri Windling's Bordertown story collections). Unfortunately, both books employ the character-endangerment-in-lieu-of-actual-plot technique of storytelling. This only works if the reader is attached to the characters, which is why it feels more believable in the second book than the first. In short, if you liked Elsewhere, you'll like Nevernever. As for me, while I probably won't go out of my way to find the other Bordertown books, this was a lovely trip down memory lane in the form of two very quick reads. I can see these books appealing to other adolescents as much as they did to me, but I doubt most adults would get much out of them. ( )
1 vote melydia | Oct 28, 2009 |
never never: Found to be a never ending story in which my heart has sunk and swollowed wishing and hoping that it will soon come forth along my ever lasting love to this book and others taking the time to make it last. As i read it wolfboy makes me fall in love with him over and over again makeing me jump around the turns and cry at the deaths and spells in this book.It was only one thing that made my heart jump and yet you must read this book on your own after reading elsewhere.
  iayork | Aug 9, 2009 |

Belongs to Series

Borderland (novel)
Wolfboy (book 2)
For Beth Davis and Barbara Freidman
You expect people to get quiet when a werewolf walks into a restaurant.

Will Shetterly is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,250,123 books! | Top bar: Always visible