Armstrong and Charlie by Steven Frank

Armstrong and Charlie (edition 2017)

by Steven Frank

"During the pilot year of a Los Angeles school system integration program, two sixth grade boys, one black, one white, become best friends as they learn to cope with everything from first crushes and playground politics to the loss of loved ones and racial prejudice in the 1970s"--
Member:KevinOKeefe
Title:Armstrong and Charlie
Authors:Steven Frank
Info:Boston : Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, [2017]

Armstrong and Charlie by Steven B. Frank

OMG I loved reading this book about the development of friendship between Armstrong and Charlie during the 1970s when desegregation in schools occurred. Steven Frank's done it again and I look forward to reading more! ( )
  RavinScarface | Dec 13, 2020 |
I LOVED this book. I loved getting to know Armstrong and Charlie and everyone else in this remarkable book. It felt so perfectly, awkwardly 6th grade, while also opening my eyes to an unfamiliar yet critically important part of the American story. We already have it for my library, but I plan to recommend it as much as possible going forward.

I received a copy of this book from NetGalley to read in exchange for an honest review. I just wish I had read it as soon as it showed up on my NetGalley shelf. ( )
  AnnaWaffles | Aug 28, 2020 |
I received a copy from NetGalley for early review.

The focus is the desegregation of a California school in 1975. Two boys, Charlie and Armstrong, come from different walks of life. Over the course of the book, their friendship develops in surprising, challenging, and sometimes subtle ways. This book challenges racial assumptions and generalizations still unfortunately often made today. The two protagonists are well-developed, as are several supporting characters. There was one event that occurred mid-book that I thought would come into play again at the end, but it didn't. That said, it in no way affected how moving the book was.

I would definitely recommend this read for all middle grades. It's excellent. ( )
  EllAreBee | Nov 26, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Armstrong & Charlie is a precisely writte, humorous and authentic story of two boys who's paths cross as a result of busing in Los Angeles in the late 1960s. Their school, he aptly named "Wonderland" is the setting for much of the story, with first person narratives alternating between Armstrong, Charlie, and playground reports. It's a conscious look at the sentiment of the time, and provides approachable contrasting situations for today's young readers. ( )
  crj226 | Sep 4, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is a great story of a begrudging but significant friendship between boys from very different circumstances. It is the mid-1970s and the first year that black kids are getting bussed to an all-white school in the Hollywood Hills. Armstrong and his friends aren't very happy about leaving their neighborhood, and Charlie's friends are just as put out that black kids are "invading' their school. Charlie, white and Jewish, is on the fence. He wants to be accepted by his "white flight" friends but has parents who see bussing as a great opportunity for both sets of kids, and they insist not only re fuse to put Charlie in a different school, they encourage him to be friend Armstrong, who started the school year make life difficult for Charlie. Indeed, the two boys form a reluctant friendship and find they have more in common than they ever would have guessed.

Told from alternating persepcitves: Charlie's, Armstrongs, and Mrs. Gaines, the playground supervisor, the voices of each character is clear and distinct, and each of the three characters comes across as utterly authentic. ( )
  eggsnhm | Aug 26, 2017 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Steven B. Frank's book Armstrong & Charlie was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,214,914 books! | Top bar: Always visible