dismiss

Born A Crime : Stories from a South African…

Born A Crime : Stories from a South African childhood (original 2016; edition 2017)

by Trevor Noah

#1 NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER - The compelling, inspiring, and comically sublime story of one man's coming-of-age, set during the twilight of apartheid and the tumultuous days of freedom that followedNAMED ONE OF THE BEST BOOKS OF THE YEAR BYMichiko Kakutani, New York Times - Newsday - Esquire - NPR - BooklistTrevor Noah's unlikely path from apartheid South Africa to the desk of The Daily Show began with a criminal act: his birth. Trevor was born to a white Swiss father and a black Xhosa mother at a time when such a union was punishable by five years in prison. Living proof of his parents' indiscretion, Trevor was kept mostly indoors for the earliest years of his life, bound by the extreme and often absurd measures his mother took to hide him from a government that could, at any moment, steal him away. Finally liberated by the end of South Africa's tyrannical white rule, Trevor and his mother set forth on a grand adventure, living openly and freely and embracing the opportunities won by a centuries-long struggle.Born a Crime is the story of a mischievous young boy who grows into a restless young man as he struggles to find himself in a world where he was never supposed to exist. It is also the story of that young man's relationship with his fearless, rebellious, and fervently religious mother--his teammate, a woman determined to save her son from the cycle of poverty, violence, and abuse that would ultimately threaten her own life.The stories collected here are by turns hilarious, dramatic, and deeply affecting. Whether subsisting on caterpillars for dinner during hard times, being thrown from a moving car during an attempted kidnapping, or just trying to survive the life-and-death pitfalls of dating in high school, Trevor illuminates his curious world with an incisive wit and unflinching honesty. His stories weave together to form a moving and searingly funny portrait of a boy making his way through a damaged world in a dangerous time, armed only with a keen sense of humor and a mother's unconventional, unconditional love.Praise for Born a Crime " A] compelling new memoir . . . By turns alarming, sad and funny, Trevor Noah's] book provides a harrowing look, through the prism of Mr. Noah's family, at life in South Africa under apartheid. . . . Born a Crime is not just an unnerving account of growing up in South Africa under apartheid, but a love letter to the author's remarkable mother."--Michiko Kakutani, The New York Times" An] unforgettable memoir."--Parade "What makes Born a Crime such a soul-nourishing pleasure, even with all its darker edges and perilous turns, is reading Noah recount in brisk, warmly conversational prose how he learned to negotiate his way through the bullying and ostracism. . . . What also helped was having a mother like Patricia Nombuyiselo Noah. . . . Consider Born a Crime another such gift to her--and an enormous gift to the rest of us."--USA Today" Noah] thrives with the help of his astonishingly fearless mother. . . . Their fierce bond makes this story soar."--People… (more)
Member:KerryD1971
Title:Born A Crime : Stories from a South African childhood
Authors:Trevor Noah
Info:London : John Murray, 2017.
Collections:Read 2020, Your library
Rating:****1/2
Tags:Memoir

Born a Crime by Trevor Noah (Author) (2016)

English (185)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (188)
So fantastic - even if you don't usually listen to audiobooks I still recommend listening to the audio version read by Trevor Noah himself - he does a fantastic job and brings a lot to the story. Which is pretty incredible considering how great the story is to start with. ( )
  ForrestFamily | Mar 26, 2020 |
Spoiler Alert:

The story of taking a shit in the kitchen, then realizing his blind great-grandmother was sitting in the corner sniffing and smelling the wrong, and describing it like a scene out of Jurassic Park, it was pure gold. I cried so hard with laughter and I had to pause and re-read the scene all over again. ( )
  KerryD1971 | Mar 26, 2020 |
BORN A CRIME: STORIES FROM A SOUTH AFRICAN CHILDHOOD is hands-down, one of the most hilarious and informative audio books EVER. Seriously, it's outstanding.

I admit that I stopped watching THE DAILY SHOW after Jon Stewart left. I didn't know much about Trevor Noah other than the fact that he was a comedian before coming to that television show. I know a lot more now and I've started watching TDS again.

I remember hearing about Apartheid, but I didn't have a clear understanding as to how it affected people. Now, I understand a little better. This is Trevor's story about growing up in South Africa, his family-specifically his walking miracle of a mother, ("Jesus is my health insurance."), his father and his stepfather. It's about family life, church, music, and so much more. It's funny and entertaining, but it's also painfully honest at times, and it's those times that bring this book home. (I have never laughed at any story that involves the name Hitler. With this book and Trevor's Hitler story? I swear to all that's holy, I almost peed my pants.)

As the title suggests, this story only covers Trevor's time in South Africa. I can only hope that he will write another book about how his career as a comedian began and how he came to be hosting THE DAILY SHOW. Please, Mr. Noah, please write some more!

The audio is the only way to go with this book. Trevor Noah's accent and delivery make his special story even better. BORN A CRIME is worth your time. (Thanks to Ctgt, Petra and to Melissa for their reviews of this book, which you can find here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1895203805?book_show_action=false&from...
here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1826653268?book_show_action=false&from... and here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/2175938924?book_show_action=false&from...
My highest recommendation! ( )
  Charrlygirl | Mar 22, 2020 |
Even after reading it, there are still aspects of his life that are hard for me to fully wrap my brain around because they are so different from my personal reality. But, I am so glad that he shared his story with the world. For me, it meant learning about a very different life that other people have lived. ( )
  Sara_Cat | Mar 21, 2020 |
I really enjoyed this. Noah is a good writer, and he knows how to tell a good story. There is humor, of course, but also insightful comments about the effects of apartheid and racism on society. Definitely an entertaining book. ( )
1 vote meredk | Mar 9, 2020 |

Noah, TrevorAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Noah, TrevorNarratormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bronswijk, Ineke vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Oostindiër, AnnoesjkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schlatterer, HeikeÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Studios, AudiblePublishersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my mother. My first fan. Thank you for making me a man.
The genius of apartheid was convincing people who were the overwhelming majority to turn on each other.

This book highlights critical issues on racism in africa

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 143,752,444 books! | Top bar: Always visible