Conversations with Friends: A Novel by Sally…

Conversations with Friends: A Novel

by Sally Rooney

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book was really difficult to get through. The characters frustrated me because of the stupid decisions they kept repeating. I felt like the plot kept repeating itself every twenty pages or so. Not one I would recommend. ( )
  chgstrom | Jun 26, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Sometimes relationships are more complicated than they should be. While Sally Rooney has written a novel that is listed as one about friendship, lust, jealousy, and the complications of adulthood, her novel "Conversations with Friends" indeed touches on these aspects of relationships but I found it tedious. Frances and Bobbi's cerebral musings became tiring and I soon hoped for a quicker end to the novel. While I enjoy the journey of a character's emotional development, both Frances and Bobbi are stuck -- still stuck wandering through self awareness. The relationship, for lack of a better word, that blooms between Frances and Nick, a married actor with depression, is fraught with words unspoken and undefined boundaries. The relationships that the reader suffers through are between women, between lovers, between parents--and when Frances declares at the end , "You live through certain things before you understand them," is a thought that should not have taken 300 pages to reach. The prose is easy to read but is not a book that I would recommend. I received my copy through LibraryThing's Early Reviewer program. ( )
  Dawn1361 | Jun 24, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this book for free through LibraryThing’s Early Reviewers.

This book gave me so many feels. It was a roller coaster of emotions. For some reason I really connected to this book. There was something so captivating about it.

I felt like this book would make a great movie or miniseries on HBO. There's something really special and different about it that would translate well to the screen.

The characters felt very real and I think that's what I liked most about it. I loved Nick. He was so different from what I had expected.

Overall, I'm obsessed with this book. ( )
  jessicadelellis | Jun 14, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
It seems like every young author coming out of Ireland these days like to write novels about young women having affairs with inappropriate men. From Belinda McKeon's Tender, to Eimear McBride's Lesser Bohemians, to this novel, young Irish women apparently can't wait to fall into bed with the wrong sort.

I received an ARC of this novel from a giveaway listed on Library Thing, and it was my least favorite of all the aforementioned novels. Frances is a young, tough woman who lives in Dublin with her friend and former lover Bobbi. They perform spoken word poetry together and catch the attention of an older artist and writer, Melissa, who befriends them, and invites them to her house where they meet her husband, Nick. He's a B-list actor, and somewhat shiftless and charming, and for some reason Frances embarks on a messy affair with him, to the chagrin of Bobbi and Melissa.

This novel is almost an exact replication of Lesser Bohemians, but with none of the charm and none of the intricate prose. Of course, this means it is much easier to read, but the story isn't much to speak about. It was OK, but for being so much like such a recent publication, it made itself look paltry by comparison. If you can't make it through Lesser Bohemians, I guess you could read this book instead, since it's the exact same story.

The ending was pretty lame too, which was also my complaint with Lesser Bohemians and Tender. ( )
  lisan. | Jun 7, 2017 |
MY REVIEW

I would like to thank First to Read and Hogarth/ Random House LLC for the ARC of "Conversations with Friends" by Sally Rooney for my honest review. The genres for this novel are Contemporary Fiction and Women's Fiction. I would rate this book as 3.5.

I appreciate that Sally Rooney brings some controversial topics in this novel The author discusses betrayal in friendship, monogamy and infidelity, relationships,sexuality, and political views, There is also the discussion of mental illness, depression, alcoholism, and cutting.

The characters are complex, complicated, and flawed. Most are not likeable. There is betrayal and secrets. There is also lack of communication, lack of self-esteem and self-worth. I found it difficult to relate to any of the characters.

The story-line is about two college students, who get involved with a married couple. One is a writer. Both are friends, former lovers, and read poetry together at gatherings. At time the story is slow-moving. I was surprised at the ending, and possibly disappointed.

I would recommend this novel as a controversial read. ( )
  teachlz | Jun 7, 2017 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Sally Rooney's book Conversations with Friends is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,160,921 books! | Top bar: Always visible