Conversations with Friends: A Novel by Sally…

Conversations with Friends: A Novel

by Sally Rooney

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I had a hard time getting into this one as well. Part of my problem is that I'm not a big fan of books that don't use quotation marks for the dialogue. That being said, I found myself being drawn back to pick up the book every time I thought I might DNF it. I enjoyed the writing style of Sally Rooney, and thought the whole book had a wonderful ebb and flow to the sentences. The characters themselves weren't very interesting to me, and the drama not really that dramatic. It's a book that seems meant to be character-driven, but fails to make the characters relatable or remarkable enough to do so. I did enjoy the book overall, though. Not a book I would go out and purchase for my shelves, but also not upset that I spent time reading it. ( )
  ToriKim | Apr 20, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The language is for much of the book enjoyably precise. The sentences have a staccato rhythm that I found appealing. The narrator is hyperactively self-aware in a way that reminded me of Miranda July's writing. I enjoyed the story. Some of the scenes seemed unnecessary, though, and the stakes throughout didn't seem particularly high. I enjoyed spending time even so with a smart narrator and a smart author. ( )
  poingu | Apr 16, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Conversations with Friends was not really my kind of book. While I found most of the dialogue to be realistic and the writing to be pretty, I just did not connect with any of the characters and I found the revolution around adultery to be off-putting.
  mwatson4281 | Apr 10, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This was totally brilliant. I loved Conversations with Friends .

The eponymous conversations, were, in my opinion, absolutely raw and real. There was nothing farcical about the words used, the meanings behind them, their purposes. The novel is written from the perspective of the introverted and contemplative university student Frances, about her relationships with her best friend/ex-girlfriend Bobbi, her parents and Melissa and Nick, a slightly famous couple in the literary and performing arts worlds. I felt every bit of tension via the spoken word, and although some of it may come across as pretentious, I found it wholly accurate to the way university-level students speak (having been one myself just two years ago). The constant questioning and judgment of life, society, government, race, culture and how we all function and behave within the confines that are created by the human mind and whether we're behaving correctly at all.

The situations felt so realistic, like Frances falling for someone she knows she shouldn't have, but chose consciously or subconsciously to fall regardless. The everlasting tug between right and wrong, and what those words truly mean, if anything at all. If you make each other happy, should you not fall for a person because of extenuating circumstances? Should you stop yourself from happiness because of societal boundaries? This novel pushed so many of those boundaries that we find commonplace and didn't apologize for it, and I loved it.

Thank you to LibraryThing for the opportunity to read this book in advance. ( )
  tuf25995 | Apr 2, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Intriguing, annoying, bratty. This book was a good debut, but I hope she crafts some more enjoyable plots in the future. I cannot stand Rooney's main character, Frances. And the whole scenario of the book strikes me as contrived and shallow. The depth of psychological development in Frances was the only thing that kept me reading. Either the author sees herself in Frances (and vice versa) or she knows someone like that and is trying to get inside their mind. The dynamics with the married couple rubbed me the wrong way on both sides of the coin as well. ( )
  knivae | Mar 30, 2017 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Conversations with Friends by Sally Rooney is available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,905,655 books! | Top bar: Always visible