Conversations with Friends: A Novel by Sally…

Conversations with Friends: A Novel (original 2017; edition 2018)

by Sally Rooney (Author)

A sharply intelligent novel about friendship, lust, jealousy, and the unexpected complications of adulthood in the 21st century. Frances is a cool-headed and darkly observant young woman, vaguely pursuing a career in writing while studying in Dublin. Her best friend and comrade-in-arms is the beautiful and endlessly self-possessed Bobbi. At a local poetry performance one night, Frances and Bobbi catch the eye of Melissa, a well-known photographer, and as the girls are then gradually drawn into Melissa's world, Frances is reluctantly impressed by the older woman's sophisticated home and tall, handsome husband, Nick. However amusing and ironic Frances and Nick¿s flirtation seems at first, it gives way to a strange intimacy, and Frances¿s friendship with Bobbi begins to fracture. As Frances tries to keep her life in check, her relationships increasingly resist her control: with Nick, with her difficult and unhappy father, and finally, terribly, with Bobbi. Desperate to reconcile her inner life to the desires and vulnerabilities of her body, Frances's intellectual certainties begin to yield to something new: a painful and disorienting way of living from moment to moment. Written with gem-like precision and marked by a sly sense of humor, Conversations with Friends is wonderfully alive to the pleasures and dangers of youth, and the messy edges of female friendship… (more)
Member:august8914
Title:Conversations with Friends: A Novel
Authors:Sally Rooney (Author)
Info:Hogarth (2018), Edition: Reprint, 336 pages

Conversations with Friends by Sally Rooney (2017)

Recently added bygreyvalue, private library, sharvani, Elizabeth.Petruy, no2camels, LGC, suzevdmieden, Rennie80
    The Lesser Bohemians by Eimear McBride (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: Both are intense, inwardly-focused novels about two damaged people falling in love, both involving a student and an older actor. Both are brilliantly written.
    Normal People by Sally Rooney (hazzabamboo)
    hazzabamboo: Her second, and even better - they cover quite similar ground

English (102)  Dutch (1)  Finnish (1)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  All languages (106)
Rooney's characters are witty, intellectual and anything but normal. ( )
  dawnlovesbooks | Jul 20, 2021 |
Frances and her best friend, and one-time lover, Bobbi, talk gender & politics & act cool. Then Frances falls into a relationship with a passive married man.

Sally Rooney understands how people think, and how their aspirations are sometimes a big stretch away from messy everyday life in which we don’t quite understand exactly why we do stuff and the effect our actions have on others. A fascinating read about contemporary life, where none of the characters are either heroines or cunning baddies, but ordinary human beings, stumbling along through life, misunderstanding others & themselves. ( )
  LARA335 | Jul 15, 2021 |
This book was mesmerizing. I would start reading it and I would not want to put it down for anything. I didn't know what to expect when I started to read it, I had seen a lot of buzz for Sally Rooney's new book "Normal People" and I decided to try reading her earlier book. The story is told in the first person by Frances and centers on two couples, Frances and her friend Bobbi, and the older (in their 30s!) married couple Nick and Melissa. I ended up feeling like this was book was some sort of mixture that included "Mrs. Dalloway" and "Bright Lights, Big City" which is quite and odd combination. It sure worked for me. The title is very informative, it reads like you are plopped down in a room with real people and are part of their conversations. Rooney's facility with writing dialog makes the words flow like melted butter. It is the effortless output that you know takes a lot of effort to create. She combines that with strong and fully realized characters, and with more plot that I might have expected. Things do happen and there is an arc to the book. I found myself practically yelling things at Frances and getting angry because of some of her choices, then I realized that she is 21 and my decision making at 21 was horrendous. It all feels real and I got totally involved with everyone in the book. It is so enjoyable to get this wrapped up in a novel like I got wrapped up in this one. I will definitely be reading "Normal People" and probably anything else Ms. Rooney writes. ( )
  MarkMad | Jul 14, 2021 |
Different. Enjoyable in an odd, slightly uncomfortable way. ( )
  Tosta | Jul 5, 2021 |
Mark the date: 1 December 2019. On this day, I am giving 5 stars to a book, written in the last five years, by a novelist I'd never read before.

Miracles happen. ( )
  therebelprince | Jun 24, 2021 |

Rooney, Sallyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Baardman, GerdaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Balmelli, MauriziaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Beck, ZoëTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
García Casadesús, AnaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Landsberg, DéboraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In times of crisis, we must all decide again and again whom we love.
- - Frank O'Hara
Bobbi and I first met Melissa at a poetry night in town, where we were performing together.
Progressivamente l'attesa ha iniziato a sembrare meno un'attesa e più come se la vita altro non era che questo: il diversivo delle incombenze da assolvere mentre la cosa che aspetti continua a non succedere.
Prima di capire certe cose le devi vivere. Non puoi sempre assumere una posizione analitica.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Sally Rooney's book Conversations with Friends was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

GenreThing

No genres

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,267,552 books! | Top bar: Always visible