The United States of Absurdity: Untold…

The United States of Absurdity: Untold Stories from American History (edition 2017)

by Dave Anthony (Author), Patton Oswalt (Foreword)

From the creators of the comedy/history podcast The Dollop, The United States of Absurditypresents short, informative, and hilarious stories of the most outlandish (but true) people, events, and more from United States history. Comedians Dave Anthony and Gareth Reynolds cover the weird stories you didn't learn in history class, such as 10-Cent Beer Night, the Jackson Cheese, and the Kentucky Meat Shower, accompanied by full-page illustrations that bring each historical "milestone" to life in full-color. … (more)
Member:memocan
Title:The United States of Absurdity: Untold Stories from American History
Authors:Dave Anthony (Author)
Other authors:Patton Oswalt (Foreword)
Info:Ten Speed Press (2017), 144 pages
Tags:to-read

The United States of Absurdity: Untold Stories from American History by Dave Anthony

An interesting and humorous collection of crazy things that have happened in US History that Americans have either forgotten about or never knew about in the first place. ( )
  tkgbjenn1 | Mar 11, 2020 |
I am a huge fan of The Dollop but arrived late to the awesomeness. I was thrilled that my library had this book available!!

Most of the topics (all?) are shorter versions of episodes of the podcast. The book was fantastic (and I sincerely hope there will be another one!). I now want to listen to all the old shows all over again.

Seriously, the book and podcast were/are fantastic!!

Adrianne ( )
  Adrianne_p | Aug 20, 2018 |
I received this from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Corny, humorous, and dare I say it, absurd. If you are interested in reading about some of the craziness that makes up the US of A, this book is for you. The amazing thing is that only ONE of the accounts is set in Florida... ( )
  ssimon2000 | May 7, 2018 |
Book received from NetGalley.

While I had heard of or read about quite a few of the overlooked parts of history in this book, there were still multiple that were new to me. Someone who isn't a history buff would definitely be in for a bit of a shock about the things that were mentioned in the book. Most of the people mentioned in here are not history's best and brightest and for the ones that are more widely known historical figures, it makes you wonder what they were thinking. I will be getting a copy of this for my own shelves. ( )
  Diana_Long_Thomas | Jun 25, 2017 |
This is a book indistinguishable from the Ripley's Believe It or Not series of the 1930s which were widely reprinted in the 1960s as kids books. Suitable only for the guest bathroom.

I received a review copy of "The United States of Absurdity: Untold Stories from American History" by Dave Anthony and Gareth Reynolds (Ten Speed) through NetGalley.com. ( )
1 vote Dokfintong | May 12, 2017 |

Dave Anthonyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Reynolds, GarethAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Fosdike, JamesIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Oswalt, PattonForewordsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rawlins, ChloeDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to the Rube and all the Rubes out there. And to Jose the cat. Oh, also Finn.
Warning: This book will change the way you look at America.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,775,206 books! | Top bar: Always visible