dismiss

The Day of the Duchess

by Sarah MacLean

"Malcolm Bevingstoke, Duke of Haven, has lived the last three years in self-imposed solitude, paying the price for a mistake he can never reverse and a love he lost forever. The dukedom does not wait, however, and Haven requires an heir, which means he must find himself a wife by summer's end. There is only one problem-- he already has one. After years in exile, Seraphina, Duchess of Haven, returns to London with a single goal-- to reclaim the life she left and find happiness, unencumbered by the man who broke her heart. Haven offers her a deal: Sera can have her freedom, just as soon as she finds her replacement... which requires her to spend the summer in close quarters with the husband she does not want, but somehow cannot resist. The duke has a single summer to woo his wife and convince her that, despite their broken past, he can give her forever, making every day the Day of the Duchess." --… (more)

Sarah Maclean has done it again. Her 3rd book in this series is probably the mst heart-wrenching. The Duke of Haven meets and falls in love with Lady Seraphina Talbot. Even as he makes plan to ask her to marry him, he is caught compromising her by both of their mothers and they are forced to marry. Harsh words separate them immediately after the wedding.
Through a series of flash-backs, Ms Maclean over the almost 3 years of their broken marriage we see how good things started out and how they quickly deteriorated. After giving birth to a stillborn daughter, Sera runs away. Now she's back wanting a divorce and her freedom.
This is one of those books where you wish you could take the characters by the collar and make them sit down and speak the truth but as usual, they both have feelings for the other but refuse to admit them. Ms Maclean does a masterful job of making you feel their pain even as you are pulling for them to realize their mistakes.
Sera's sisters provide both honesty and comic relief for a story that could become quite heavy without it. When the Happily Ever After finally comes everyone is ready to celebrate. ( )
  ddeluna1 | Mar 19, 2020 |
Never in a million years will my review do this book justice. Grab your tissues!! Full review to come. ( )
  HistoricalJunkie | Sep 17, 2019 |

The Day of the Duchess is more angst filled than the previous books but still has some of the fun and hijinks that you can count on from the Soiled Sisters! The story is filled with present day and flashbacks of Sera and Malcom so you see how it started and how it got to where they are today.

Sera and Malcom got married and then things got bad. After years apart, Sera wants her freedom. Malcom isn't so sure he wants to let her go. He agrees to a divorce IF she helps him find her replacement. What follows is a bit like the regency version of the Bachelor! Lots of wanna be duchesses, their moms, and of course, Sera and her sisters! Now, let me start by saying I went into this prepared (and sure) to hate Malcom after we are introduced to him in The Rogue Not Taken. MacLean does manage to redeem him though! Reading about how their relationship went so wrong was heartbreaking. I struggled with this aspect of the book the most because I was just not prepared for this level of emotion. I mean, you learn in book one that there is cheating being alluded to, so I had planned to never read this. Safety Gang Spoiler: He does cheat. He has excuses (Sera trapped him into marriage, he didn't know she was pregnant, they didn't love each other). I never really got over this cheating and even though Malcom does amazing things win Sera, this event was never far from my mind.

Sera's sisters provide a great deal of levity and fun, as expected! The Day of the Duchess is part second chance romance, part dating game, and deeply emotional. While I struggled with aspects of the past, the end of the story is satisfying and heartwarming.

• POV: 3rd

• Tears: yes

• Trope: second chance

• Triggers: Malcom did cheat on Sera. Some people will find this difficult.

• Series/Standalone: stand alone within an interconnected series

• Cliffhanger: no

• HEA: yes with epilogue

Books by Charis Michaels, Lisa Kleypas, Elizabeth Hoyt...then you will probably like The Day of the Duchess!

The Day of the Duchess

See full review on The Book Disciple
  thebookdisciple | Oct 9, 2018 |
This was delightfully fantastic. Historical romances can always be a gamble for me because of the way the author has to navigate the social rules of the time while still allowing it to feel that the heroine was able to choose her partner - but this was done sooo well!

Can't wait to read the rest of the series (yes I read them out of order - it remains to be seen whether I care or not....) ( )
  LiteraryDream | Sep 30, 2018 |
Positively charming. I am on a beach vacation, and this book was a perfect choice. Listening to this while gazing out at the hypnotic beauty of Lake Michigan was truly healing. Extra points for a beautiful portrait of the sister relationship which is indivisible, no matter how bad one or the other might mess up. Were there unbelievable elements? Hell yes. Was there a convenient failure to communicate? Yep. Still it was just what I wanted and it left me smiling. These days I will take my HEAs wherever I can get them. ( )
  Narshkite | Sep 23, 2018 |

Belongs to Series

For soldiers in petticoats then and now
August 19, 1836
House of Lords, Parliament

She'd left him two years, seven months ago, exactly.

Sarah MacLean is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,962,598 books! | Top bar: Always visible