Descender Volume 3: Singularities (2016)

by Jeff Lemire, Dustin Nguyen (Illustrator)

Series: Descender (12-16)

"One young robot's struggle to stay alive in a universe where all androids have been outlawed and bounty hunters lurk on every planet. A rip-roaring and heart-felt cosmic odyssey that pits humanity against machine, and world against world, to create a sprawling space opera from the creators of Trillium, Sweet Tooth, and Little Gotham. This third volume collects issues #12-16of the best-selling, critically acclaimed series." --… (more)

English (14)  Spanish (1)  All languages (15)
While I mostly found the backstories important/enjoyable, there was a lot of repetition and almost no forward momentum on the overall story arc. ( )
  hissingpotatoes | Dec 28, 2021 |
This volume doesn't progress the story any further into the future, BUT it's loaded with backstory on enemies and friends alike. Looking forward to the next issue to find out what has happened to Tim-21! ( )
  Zoes_Human | Dec 21, 2021 |
This one likely would have scored a perfect five, if it had not been for the final character highlight. My least favourite is Driller, and while this is supposed to explain him more (the other in-depth histories are done very well), for me, it just exposes how thin the motivation it has, and how stupid it is that a drill has a personality at all. ( )
  TobinElliott | Sep 3, 2021 |
This volume is aptly named as we get to experience the back stories of a number of characters. Although we have left Tim-21 in a rather precarious position, I enjoyed this flashback look at some of my favorite characters and how they were shaped into the personalities that they are. We start by learning Tim-22’s history and then we are also filled in on Driller the Killer, Effie the half human/half android, Telsa the privileged cadet, Andy the sullen loner and Bandit the robot-dog. I am looking forward to finding out how these characters are going to bind together and whether they will be a force for good or evil.

The author continues to develop his unique characters in ones that the reader can identify with and care about and the artist, Dustin Nguyen is giving the series an individual look of it’s own. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Apr 30, 2021 |
A bit of a break from the main plot in this volume to delve into the backstory of the various characters. Lemire has assembled a great cast of characters - both robot and human - and this volume fleshes out their motivations and nuances even more. Nguyen's art continues to amazing. This is probably my favourite series I'm reading these days. ( )
  scout101 | Sep 15, 2020 |

Jeff Lemireprimary authorall editionscalculated
Nguyen, DustinIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,322,516 books! | Top bar: Always visible