FARMER BOY by Laura Ingalls Wilder

FARMER BOY (original 1933; edition 1971)

by Laura Ingalls Wilder, Garth Williams (Illustrator)

Member:virginiahomeschooler
Title:FARMER BOY
Authors:Laura Ingalls Wilder
Other authors:Garth Williams (Illustrator)
Info:Harper & Row (1971), Edition: 1st, Paperback, 371 pages
Collections:To read
Tags:Kid Lit

Farmer Boy by Laura Ingalls Wilder (1933)

I love this series. They are my favorite!!!! ( )
  dbailey25 | Feb 24, 2019 |
Farmer Boy by Laura Ingalls Wilder; (5*);

My G'ma gave one of the 'Little House' books to me when I was a youngster way back in the 1950s. I don't even remember which one it was but today at 70 I am still reading them. They enrapture me and I love how Ingalls minutely describes the manner in which they built the items they needed to accomplish their tasks.
Stories such as these remind you of what family ties, loyalty, respect and responsibility mean.
Of all the Little House books, this one is far and away my favorite. ( )
  rainpebble | Feb 18, 2019 |
For all my whining that this one doesn't follow the Ingalls family I sure did enjoy it! I love how much Almanzo loved the farm and how hard he was trying to be a good farmer boy. I also found myself chuckling quite a bit more than I did when I read the Little House in the Big Woods and Little House on the Prairie. Another reason I enjoyed this one is because it takes place in New York, a little closer to my home state of Massachusetts then the Ingalls' stories. That being said I am eager to start catching up with the Ingalls family again. ( )
  EliseLaForge | Nov 20, 2018 |
Sweet, gentle, good-natured story, without a lot of story there, but an awful lot of step by step instruction. I don't want to infringe copyright, but every chapter consisted of something virtually beat-for-beat like this:

"Mother opened her internet browser. She typed in the URL for Goodreads. Then, she clicked on the book she was reading, and marked it Finished. In a short while, a new screen opened where she could review the book. First, she rated the book, so she could remember whether she like it when coming back to this page. Then, she selected appropriate tags, so other people might be able to find the book better when searching. Only then did she begin to write her review."

It gets a bit wearing having a series of how-to manuals of early American accomplishments, rather than actual plot. The plot is pretty much Almanzo wants something, and (no spoiler here) at the very end he either gets it or doesn't get it, done. There's no rich reservoir of supporting characters, no thrilling subplots, it almost defies the very notion of a novel. But it's sweet, it's gentle, and if you're father's dying in the hospice at the moment it's an easy book to distract yourself with. ( )
1 vote ashleytylerjohn | Sep 19, 2018 |
This book is about Almanzo Wilder growing up in New York. In it we get to meet his Brother Royal and his sisters Eliza Jane and Alice. Having watched the shows for years, I remember Royal and Eliza Jane, but I don't remember a sister named Alice. I do remember that in the show he also had a Brother named Perley Day. He was not in this book. I like these books because you get to see just how hard everyone worked including the kids. Boys often got little schooling because they had to stay home and work. Most worked from Sun up to sun down. The next book is "On the Banks of Plum Creek" and we get to go back to Laura and her family in that one and see what adventures they are up to now. ( )
  kkranig | Sep 4, 2018 |

Wilder, Laura Ingallsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hallqvist, Britt G.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jones, CherryNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sewell, HelenIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tholema, A.C.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Williams, GarthIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It was January in northern New York State, sixty-seven years ago.
A farmer depends on himself, and the land and the weather. If you're a farmer, you raise what you eat, you raise what you wear, and you keep warm with wood out of your own timber. You work hard, but you work as you please, and no man can tell you to go or come. You'll be free and independent, son, on a farm.

While Laura Ingalls grows up in a little house on the western prairie, Almanzo Wilder is living on a big farm in New York State. Here Almanzo and his brother and sisters help with the summer planting and fall harvest. In winter there is wood to be chopped and great slabs of ice to be cut from the river and stored. Time for fun comes when the jolly tin peddler visits, or best of all, when the fair comes to town.

This is Laura Ingalls Wilder's beloved story of how her husband Almanzo grew up as a farmer boy far from the little house where Laura lived.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:00 -0400)

The year Almanzo Wilder turned nine (1866) was an important one for the young farm boy in northern New York state.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,184,665 books! | Top bar: Always visible