The Wanderers by Meg Howrey

The Wanderers

by Meg Howrey

The characters are flat. Nothing happens in the story -- at least not in the first 2/3. I stopped reading at that point. ( )
  sci901 | Jan 15, 2018 |
I bet Meg Howrey admires Tom Robbins. There's a similar sort of clever here. I liked this one, but I definitely recommend the audiobook because I suspect I would have appreciated it less without the narrator's skill with dialect and subtle emotional tone. ( )
  KimMeyer | Sep 7, 2017 |
If you are looking for a replica of The Martian or Station Eleven, that is not this book. Instead, this book is an exploration of the humans involved in a Martian space simulation, whether by being the selected astronaut or one of the family members waiting while the 17 month Mars simulation progresses. Whether from the past or present, these people and their stories, their frailties and strengths, their hopes and worries for themselves, earth and humankind; they will touch your soul. I think if you know that going in you'll enjoy your travels through this beautiful, beautiful book. ( )
  sydsavvy | Sep 5, 2017 |
I feel like the hype ruined this book. I was told by several different sources that it was supposed to be a mix between The Martian and Station Eleven, which are two of my favorite recent books.
Unfortunately, I didn't feel that those comparisons were accurate except that it was vaguely related to Mars. I had very high hopes going in and I feel let down. It was kind of boring. All the excitement from the Martian wasn't there, and none of the science. It was mainly about the relationships among the people, and most of them were slightly depressed.
Maybe I would have had a different feeling if it wasn't so hyped, but there's no way to know. ( )
  sarahy531 | Aug 16, 2017 |
I don't think of this as science fiction but it's great for the right readers. It's basically a locked-room mystery set in the future and a psychological study of 3 extremely talented, focused professionals trapped inside a simulation and their over-achieving self-identities. Also, there are some insightful family portraits of the people left behind 'on Earth'. It's low on action and deep in POV contemplation. ( )
  KatyBee | Jul 12, 2017 |

Station Eleven meets The Martian in this brilliantly inventive novel about three astronauts training for the first-ever mission to Mars, an experience that will push the boundary between real and unreal, test their relationships, and leave each of them—and their families—changed forever

In an age of space exploration, we search to find ourselves.

In four years Prime Space will put the first humans on Mars. Helen Kane, Yoshi Tanaka, and Sergei Kuznetsov must prove they’re the crew for the job by spending seventeen months in the most realistic simulation ever created.

Retired from NASA, Helen had not trained for irrelevance. It is nobody’s fault that the best of her exists in space, but her daughter can’t help placing blame. The MarsNOW mission is Helen’s last chance to return to the only place she’s ever truly felt at home. For Yoshi, it’s an opportunity to prove himself worthy of the wife he has loved absolutely, if not quite rightly. Sergei is willing to spend seventeen months in a tin can if it means travelling to Mars. He will at least be tested past the point of exhaustion, and this is the example he will set for his sons.

As the days turn into months the line between what is real and unreal becomes blurred, and the astronauts learn that the complications of inner space are no less fraught than those of outer space. The Wanderers gets at the desire behind all exploration: the longing for discovery and the great search to understand the human heart.

Library Journal, A Big Fiction pick for March 2017

(retrieved from Amazon Fri, 02 Dec 2016 08:51:50 -0500)

"Station Eleven meets The Martian in this brilliantly inventive novel about three astronauts training for the first-ever mission to Mars, an experience that will push the boundary between real and unreal, test their relationships, and leave each of them--and their families--changed forever In an age of space exploration, we search to find ourselves. In four years Prime Space will put the first humans on Mars. Helen Kane, Yoshi Tanaka, and Sergei Kuznetsov must prove they're the crew for the job by spending seventeen months in the most realistic simulation ever created. Retired from NASA, Helen had not trained for irrelevance. It is nobody's fault that the best of her exists in space, but her daughter can't help placing blame. The MarsNOW mission is Helen's last chance to return to the only place she's ever truly felt at home. For Yoshi, it's an opportunity to prove himself worthy of the wife he has loved absolutely, if not quite rightly. Sergei is willing to spend seventeen months in a tin can if it means travelling to Mars. He will at least be tested past the point of exhaustion, and this is the example he will set for his sons. As the days turn into months the line between what is real and unreal becomes blurred, and the astronauts learn that the complications of inner space are no less fraught than those of outer space. The Wanderers gets at the desire behind all exploration: the longing for discovery and the great search to understand the human heart"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,812,514 books! | Top bar: Always visible